Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    WOW Is the life!!! hehe . The guild leader is an idjut, you can find a much better guild im sure.
    Last edited by Wowforlife79; 2013-08-30 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    ...and this my friends is the difference between a guild that progresses and a guild does not.

You may have a whole bunch of casuals or social members or what have you on standby, some guilds keep a very tight roster.
    I completely agree with you.
    Here is something you can go off a little more.

There are 13 people on every night, if one can't show, the other 3 are still there for others. We have a schedule, some kind of script, we always know who is going to be a stand-by for the night and who is going to be going to raid on that night. I know that those 3 people will always be able to do it, we all practically have the same item level. The week prior to this I was very sick, and was recovering, and when my dad told me that I wouldn't be able to play for the next 2 weeks, I had to tell my GL that I couldn't play for 2 weeks, then he kicked me, simple as that.

His story would probably sound like me being unworthy and unreliable. I can't argue against him, in his eyes I was unreliable...what could I do? It's his guild, I understand that he can do whatever he wants and now I understand that WoW will still be there when I get back from my exams, and I also know that my dad is right.

Thanks for your opinions guys, haha. I WILL LIVE IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD...OF WARCRAFT

Guild/raid leaders choice.

People can complain about it all they want, put in their opinions but really, it comes down to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion it is not worth it to subjugate yourself to this kind of stress as a 16 year old.I know this first hand it is a Giant pain in the ass and is not worth it in the long haul.You need to move on and study for your exams then find a new guild, they come and go like the wind.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Quote Originally Posted by SausageRawr View Post
    I can't argue against him, in his eyes I was unreliable...what could I do? It's his guild, I understand that he can do whatever he wants
    A lot of people say this: The guildmaster can do whatever he wants. If that were only true. Sure the "buttons of power" he has at his disposal. True.

Can he use those buttons as he sees fit? Yes he could. But...... Do you guys realise what would happen if he uses those buttons whenever he wished? He would not have a guild sooner rather then later. People would not stand for a powerhungry GM. Guilds with a powerhungry management collapse.

If you are a serious raiding guild, regardless if you go for heroic content or not, you just cannot press the buttons whenever you feel like it. As GM you have to consider what this "pushing of the buttons" will have for effect on the guild as a whole aswell as on the player. That being said, you have to think about the guild a lot more then about the player ofcourse. Will the guild accept "your behavior as a GM" while pushing that button. Will they generally agree that pushing that button was the correct course of action? If the answer is no, then you as GM might get away with it once or twice. But if this becomes a trend, people will leave your guild = no more guild. You cannot recruit against ill management.

So again, if the OP's story is all there is to it then its simple (and a lot of people didn't even read the OP fully).

It's about being only (come on... ) 2 to 3 months being a member = nothing
    It's about him being unreliable according to the GM

Now since he NOW finally explained that he was sick in the weeks before, I can say that perhaps the OP was kicked prematurely. PERHAPS.
    I don't know how popular he was. I don't know if the GM already had a very promising NEW recruit up his sleeve that he couldn't really get into the guild with 13 raiders without kicking someone. As GM you always search for the best setup. You want the most reliable players and the most skilled players ánd the most friendly players.

Again I agree with the GM but seeing as you are sick and I don't know what the GM had up his sleeve in terms of replacements, I as former GM would probably have let you study for your exams and see how you would do in the weeks after that. If you fucked up again in my mind, I'd kick you anyway.

I always played WoW during my schooltime, didnt really care for exams. Though in my field exams arent really important, (Programmer/Developer). All you need is intrest and to have been programming since you were young and you most likely end up like me. Solid 9-5 job with good pay and alot of benefits. Can't really complain.

Though im from sweden and our school system really sucks, you can pretty much study 1hr a week and get B+/A- in all subjects (atleast during my time, they changed alot now don't really know how exact what they changed).

But yeah your GM was kind of a douche. But I can understand him too some extinct. We have demoted people who had to go afk for 3 weeks at THE START of a new patch/tier. And when they got back they were ready for normals when we were progressing the last HC bosses, which just didnt work.

TL;DR:
    Didnt study for exams, barely passed, still got a good job. (Swedish). Your GM sucked, find a new guild.

It's funny that people here call someone they don't know a loser or pathetic or whatever else just because a 16 year old (if that is even true) made a thread with an unbelievable story.

I don't understand making this thread anyway. What is the point? You feel insecure?

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sucks man, happens though. Kind of unusual that this late in current content he would really care, but I am sure your GM had his reasons. I could see giving you the boot maybe if it were a brand new patch that you were still working to clear, but by this point if you haven't cleared Heroic ToT there is no point in pushing it that hard.

Your RL is far more important than any videogame, so focus your effort on that. In 10 years you will thank yourself, and your dad for pushing you.

As with all stories like this there are always 2 sides to every story, something that a lot of responses to this thread seem to be completely forgetting.

We dont know the conditions that the OP was recruited to his guild, how much and/or hard the raid tries with progression. You do NOT have to have cleared heroics by this stage to still take raiding and the game serious, the raid leader and his/her raiders decide how serious they want to take it regardless of their skill.

Speaking as a GM and raid leader myself I take raiding serious to a point, I personally try to accommodate my members with real life commitments and that's why I try to make sure we always have members capable of being drafted in as backup when required however....... I cannot stress how much harder the job of organizing a raid becomes when you have members who cannot attend a raid regulary especially unfortunately more often than not...students.
    This is why I personally avoid recruiting young and student members simply because they have too much going on in life to commit to a regular raiding schedule and that is speaking from 5 years of raid leading experience.

Before I get set upon by those reminding me that wow is a game I totally agree it is, and is something you should never prioritise over work/studies however for those that do prioritise wow or even take it as a serious hobby then you have to understand why people treat there raids seriously too. Running a raid team for some is no different to running your local under 12's football team in essence and I can tell you that parents and adults take their childrens football very serious

To conclude all of the above, all I am saying is please remember there are always 2 sides to every story and sometimes just accept that someone isn't always right for every guild, and not to judge either party if that is the case.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a typical sad no-lifer reaction from your GM. Definitely the wrong guild for you. Let me tell you that most mature guilds, no matter their progress level, would never do such a thing. So you can't make 2 weeks, so what? Real life ALWAYS has priority, anyone that states otherwise should reexamine their life. Besides the fact that you are obviously geared and able to do their current progress, so you will be an asset in 2 weeks when ur done and the next content is out. Your GM was shortsighted and immature.

What others said: find another guild that doesn't have people like that managing it. Oh and fyi yes, many guilds will not take under 18 year olds for those reasons, simply because ur education comes first. But not all of them, most good guilds i know will simply communicate their schedules amongst each other and arrange accordingly. That goes for adults with full schedules as well as teenagers at school.

Goodluck in your exams and with your raiding future! Don't give up because of one d-wad! =)

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    That's a typical sad no-lifer reaction from your GM. Definitely the wrong guild for you. Let me tell you that most mature guilds, no matter their progress level, would never do such a thing. So you can't make 2 weeks, so what? Real life ALWAYS has priority, anyone that states otherwise should reexamine their life. Besides the fact that you are obviously geared and able to do their current progress, so you will be an asset in 2 weeks when ur done and the next content is out. Your GM was shortsighted and immature.

What others said: find another guild that doesn't have people like that managing it. Oh and fyi yes, many guilds will not take under 18 year olds for those reasons, simply because ur education comes first. But not all of them, most good guilds i know will simply communicate their schedules amongst each other and arrange accordingly. That goes for adults with full schedules as well as teenagers at school.

Goodluck in your exams and with your raiding future! Don't give up because of one d-wad! =)
    Tbh I get a little miffy about your post.

Typical sad no clue how to manage a serious raiding guild player.... Let met tell you that most mature raiding guilds would never invite a 16 year old to begin with. You cannot make it 2 weeks and you weren't reliable to that guild prior to those 2 weeks and have a 2/3 month history with that guild? You get kicked. Real life always has priority (especially in mature and serious raidingguilds lead by decent management), but when you are 16 and know that your studies come first, you should not get into a guild that is serious about raiding and expects an attendance that you cannot/may not be able to provide. Your GM took a mature and well thought decision. Looking out for his guild he saw your unreliability and that was the reason for the kick.

What others said: Find another guild that is suitable to your playing and real life situation, with people who do not really give a lot about progress with a small select team. (the rest is ok until...)

Good luck with your exams and your raiding future! Don't give up because you got the facts smacked into your face.

You see what I just did there?

PS: meanwhile anyone using =) MUST be a kid. Same for people who use XD. If people used those "smileys" on their apply, I never invited them ever. Obviously they lied on their age (requirement with my guild was 21+).

Quote Originally Posted by SausageRawr View Post
    So last night, I spoke to my guild leader, I've been in this raiding guild for about 2-3 months on a pretty low populated server. We've finished ToT on normal, killed Lei Shen most of the time, so we are extremely capable of doing SOO.
    killing lei shen most of the time on normal after 6 months 5.2/5.3. He did you a favor, considering the guild is really bad, and spending more time on studies is better

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    killing lei shen most of the time on normal after 6 months 5.2/5.3. He did you a favor, considering the guild is really bad, and spending more time on studies is better
    You could be right there, but you don't know how long the guild has been raiding (started raiding) or if they had a recruitment problem (probably the last one since they invited a 16 ye old player and were probably desperate) and could not raid. Still a bad situation, but the players may not suck as you think they suck. Also you don't know how often they raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell if you are seriously this emotionally immature or just really sad. Fact of the matter is his GM didn't need to KICK him. Also no clue why you are claiming ridiculous things like me being apparently clueless and deducting my apparent age from my use of smileys xD

For the record: 28 years old, played since Vanilla release, raided every content, raidleading and guildleading since late Wrath, sometimes heroic/hardmode, sometimes not so much, depending on the quality of the team we have that tier. My philosophy is to achieve as much as you can within reason, without being a d-wad. Personally yes I would probably not invite a 16 year old to my raid team. But I certainly wouldn't kick anyone over having to take an announced 2 week hiatus, that's ridiculous.

I love how people just live in their own little boxes and deduct from that that it simply MUST be the same for everyone else ^^

No clue why you're going passive/agressive on me Vaelorian, must have hit a nerve with one of my statements somewhere. Live and let live, do as you please, i'm just presenting a side of guild management that works wonderfully for us and many others I know.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    No clue why you're going passive/agressive on me Vaelorian, must have hit a nerve with one of my statements somewhere. Live and let live, do as you please, i'm just presenting a side of guild management that works wonderfully for us and many others I know.
    Basically this: That's a typical sad no-lifer reaction from your GM

It just isn't true or has any basis upon where you can draw this conclusion unless you are ignorant to what GM's do to preserve their guild. You also never once in your post reflected back upon his weeks prior (being unreliable there) to those 2 weeks for his studies. You have to take that into account aswell as his guild history of 2/3 months, which is again NOTHING.

As I stated before I do also believe that I would not have kicked him but would have checked what happened to his attendance AFTER those 2 weeks. But thats only on the assumption that the GM would not have a better recruit of his sleeve and if he never misbehaved.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get most guild kicks. I mean if he thinks you aren't raid worthy, then why does he have to kick you? Why not just demote you to a none-raiding rank? Then you can either prove him wrong or join another guild to start raiding anew. The only reason to guild kick anyone is if they break guild made rules (or even game rules), if you are so full of active members that you need the space(?) or if the majority of the guild want the player out of there for various reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    My philosophy simply differs in terms that we don't kick anyone if they can't or don't raid. We have many people and we only set rules in terms of behaviour, not in any way for raid attendance or capability. I set other rules for people that wish to be part of one of the raid teams, but if someone doesn't meet these rules or cannot attend regularly for a time, they will simply be informed that they won't get a guaranteed slot for the team as long as that is the case. They are not removed from the guild however. A fundamental difference in guild philosophies I guess.

And yes, it is a typical reaction to me because you hear these kinds of stories all the time. People don't build any kind of social structure in their guilds or implement consideration for real life aspects and then wonder why their teams collapse as soon as the expected success isn't immediately there. Seen it countless times. "What, you're not an immediate 24/7 asset to my team? gurlbye!" - shortsighted and a bit asocial to me.

The thing is, I personally don't see the point in that kind of attitude when your team isn't literally on the bleeding edge of progress. Unless you're fighting for, say, Top100 or so progress kills, why the stress? What does it matter? Who really cares? That level of raiding simply doesn't warrant said level of reckless and overly ambitious behaviour. And it's the reason why many people at the cusp to getting into raiding are disillusioned by it, because they run into people that put pretty much irrelevant factors ahead of decent social behaviour.

But I'll grant you that I may have overreacted with my statement as I really don't know all the sides to the story, and he IS 16, which in my book would not a raid member make.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Basically this: That's a typical sad no-lifer reaction from your GM

It just isn't true or has any basis upon where you can draw this conclusion unless you are ignorant to what GM's do to preserve their guild. You also never once in your post reflected back upon his weeks prior (being unreliable there) to those 2 weeks for his studies. You have to take that into account aswell as his guild history of 2/3 months, which is again NOTHING.

As I stated before I do also believe that I would not have kicked him but would have checked what happened to his attendance AFTER those 2 weeks. But thats only on the assumption that the GM would not have a better recruit of his sleeve and if he never misbehaved.

I have to agree with this. Personally I'd never ever invite a 16 year old to my guild, not even as social. Don't want "immature teenagers" in my guild because, more often than not, they are in fact immature teenagers. Ofc you can find mature teenagers but I'm not willing to take that chance with my guild.

Also, the OP had been in the guild 2-3 months, which is nothing. He was ill (not his fault ofc) and unable to attend. Then his "father" forbids him to play for a full 2 weeks. They're a casual guild, clearing Lei Shen "most of the time". I'm sorry but this doesn't sound like a guild that's raiding 4 nights a week - more likely 2 nights a week. I'm having a hard time understanding, how 2x3-4 hours in a week is going to have any impact on studies. Nobody studies all day and all night for weeks straight, everyone knows that's not the most optimal way of studying. You need a break now and then and yes, I'm the age where I've already "been there and done that".

I agree, that based on the info the OP has given us, a guild kick seems a bit harsh. On the other hand, the GM might not have had any intentions of ever using the OP again, cause well - OP hasn't really been reliable. And maybe, just maybe there's another reason why the GM didn't want the OP in his guild in the first place.

In any case, it's not fair to say that the GM is a major douche bag imo. Cause in the end, guilds have rules and unless your guild is so casual that it doesn't even matter if you turn up for raids or not, they have to have some rules.

Find a guild that doesn't mind your age and the fact that you have to do what your father tells you i.e can't play at all for 2 full weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I don't get most guild kicks. I mean if he thinks you aren't raid worthy, then why does he have to kick you? Why not just demote you to a none-raiding rank? Then you can either prove him wrong or join another guild to start raiding anew. The only reason to guild kick anyone is if they break guild made rules (or even game rules), if you are so full of active members that you need the space(?) or if the majority of the guild want the player out of there for various reasons.
    While I agree this is correct for LONG TERM members who suddenly due to whatever circumstances cannot attent enough anymore to your requirements as a guild.

If this person is 2/3 months into the guild, why bother with him? While my guild was pretty much about raiding heroic and trying to beat other guilds, I had as a guildmaster no time for people not giving my guild or it's members a boost to where we wanted to be. That means socials were not welcome, UNLESS they were RL friends/family of a member. Also my guild had a very good reputation. I kept this good reputation and promoted it to invite decent people and if they turned out not so decent or childish I got rid of them. I do not want someone wearing my guildtag and behave immature.

To be totally honest, the guild itself became something of a product where I stood for my product and kept improving on it. I do hope that most GM would try and do the same. Do not attack me on naming my guild a product, look for what I mean with it. English is not my native language.

Deleted
    I personally don't think students belong in raiding guilds since they have considerably less time to invest into raids/strats/time put into the game in general.
    Do you not have a job?