Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[PVP] Warlock 2v2/3v3 5.4

Hello fellow warlock pvpers!

I was looking for a thread dedicated to 2v2 and 3v3 but I couldnt find any so here goes.

I would like to see the general view on warlock pvp come 5.4.

Yes. 5.4 is still on PTR but it will be released in less than two weeks so please dont bring "Still PTR"-arguments.

What this discussion is focused at:

2v2 and 3v3 comps. Which comps will be super viable (read gladiator/rank1-viable)
    and which comps will be okay for casual capping above the regular 1500-bracket.

All trolling, flaming and baiting will be reported asap so please if you dont have any interest in
    a genuine discussion about 5.4 warlock arenas dont waste your time and more importantly dont waste our time!

My thoughts:

2v2 - Affliction/Resto Druid - Great CC and help with damage from rdruid speccing hotw.
    Cons might be that afflliction wont have the burst needed to land a kill against overpowered healers in 2v2. Time will tell.

3v3 - Affliction/Unholy DK/Healer - Great pressure damage combined with good control depending on which healer you take.
    Cons with this comp might be that you will have longer games than the pop all cds burst comps. Not necessarily a bad thing tho.

Let me hear your comp ideas and thoughts about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally i think that 2v2 is still going to be just as broken and silly as it is now..

in 3v3 however i can really see some Shadowplay (Aff Lock/Resto Shammy/ Shadow Priest) coming back.. With the buffs to lock dots.. I think it will be a lot of spread pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

Aff/Tree/Ele? The offheals to keep the lock up vs cleaves and a ranged that will punish melee if they tunnel the lock. (which 90% of teams will)

My guess is limited to M/L/X or R/L/X due to the need for constant peels. We will have strong double openers though.

I don't see classes with limited peels as viable unless we are less squishy then I'm guessing.

RSL Rogue/Lock/Shaman and RLD Rogue/Lock/Druid will also be very strong next patch as well.

Probably the traditionally strong comps that rely on our high dmg.

Best DPS to play with:
    Ele - not losing much, still able to global people, UA lets them get flame shocks out for procs.
    DK - getting pretty much everything buffed. Spread pressure is ridiculous (even more so on PTR apparently) and with the resil change they might be less susceptible to insta-gibs. Love this comp.
    Rogue - huge dmg buffs on PTR, and glyph of recuperate will make them much more durable. Rogues tend to either be way OP or way UP, so if its the first we'll all want to play with rogues.
    Mage - Have to see how icicles works out, but ML always strong.
    Feral - tough to say how much they will be nerfed, but high dmg and high burst could still be quite strong.
    Spriest - big buffs to dots could mean solid spread pressure. Might be squishy though.

Best healer will probably be druid, but only because they are looking like the best healer overall. Could also play with any healer and have success.

IMO UH/Druid/Aff is going to shine. but I can't miss the chance to play a classic shadowplay.
    green is the color!

Deleted
    Which would overall be the best way to play affliction come 5.4?

1.Soul Link with GoSup
    2.Sacrificial Pact with GoSup
    3.Dark Bargain with GoSac

I see positive and negative things with most of the combinations.

1. Soul Link + GoSup

- my demon will get trained hard and my Soul Link will be useless

+ 20% reduction as long as my demon is alive. also spell lock + devour magic

2. SacPact + GoSup

- my demon will get trained hard and my SacPact will be useless

+ 1min "PW:Shield" as long as my pet is alive. also spell lock + devour magic

3. Dark Bargain + GoSac

- no "PW:Shield" or 20% damage reduction

+ another "shield wall" against burst usable when CCed
    + no pet management but still get spell lock
    + buffed damage on haunt, MG and fel flame

Give me your thoughts!
    Last edited by mmocb47e9d5b09; 2013-09-01 at 05:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably 1 or 2, mostly depending on what comp you'll be facing. As long as you and your healer pay some attention to your pet, it shouldn't be a big deal if it gets trained, and even if it dies, summoning a new one ain't that hard.

The thing I want to know is where is our compensation for getting our passive 10% dmg reduction taken away, GC said they were going to compensate us like they did with Balance/Spriest but so far we've gotten nothing and its a week til patch.

Deleted
    Affliction speaking, LSD is gonna be top comp in the game probably, LSD 2.0 is also going to be good alongside with shadowcleave, MLS/D and shadowplay. Possibility of going to work fine is WLD and RLS. Demo will work out while destro be also be ok but not so close to the other 2 specs.

For 2s probably the best way is to go affly + boomy/spriest. I actually think playing with a spriest is a bit better in 2s then 3s. Demo/ele might also work.

Going to roll SL+GoSup for everything against except dot comps which I will probably roll sac pact+GoSac

Demo can reliably burst someone...just not for that much. Destro isn't bursting much harder but its far harder to get off vs a team of similar MMR. Even after the 15% buff haunt still has a higher dpet than CB (esp vs players) which is just sad.

Aff + spriest/UHDK/ele/mage will all work in 3's...probably with a tree or rsham for non ele comps. I might play demo if my BG were saturated w' mongo cleaves till I got to higher MMR where I'd swap to aff. Pure spec wise aff is going to be strong. I'm sure bads will cry about HL but anyone above 1500 will know to just interrupt and lol at the lock who dies before a tick goes off. Comp wise anything where you can't leave the lock's dps partner unattended so tunneling the lock = suicide would work to a greater or lesser degree.

Only real issue is that pets fall over if you look at them crossly. Health funnel is utter junk and pets have too little HP to be anything resembling durable. Pretty much anything that's a dot comp I'd prefer to run sac for since they will rot your pet at all times. Feels like either pet HP needs to go up, pets need to take 50% less dmg from players, or health funnel needs a major buff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Probably 1 or 2, mostly depending on what comp you'll be facing. As long as you and your healer pay some attention to your pet, it shouldn't be a big deal if it gets trained, and even if it dies, summoning a new one ain't that hard.
    Why isnt 3 a reliable choice? Because of losing devour magic and/or SacPact? Sure... resummoning a new pet isnt hard if you have
    shards to spare or if they let you hardcast it. But while getting constantly tunneled that might be hard i think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    Only real issue is that pets fall over if you look at them crossly. Health funnel is utter junk and pets have too little HP to be anything resembling durable. Pretty much anything that's a dot comp I'd prefer to run sac for since they will rot your pet at all times. Feels like either pet HP needs to go up, pets need to take 50% less dmg from players, or health funnel needs a major buff.
    Thats why im wondering why it wouldnt be wiser to go without a pet since it feels too squishy anyways?
    What good does SacPact or Soul Link do if you cant use them?

Deleted
    The thing I want to know is where is our compensation for getting our passive 10% dmg reduction taken away, GC said they were going to compensate us like they did with Balance/Spriest but so far we've gotten nothing and its a week til patch.
    You get the glyph for 10% dmg reduction. You do not need any more, end of story. Locks need a nerf anyways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naztrak View Post
    You get the glyph for 10% dmg reduction. You do not need any more, end of story. Locks need a nerf anyways.
    Please refrain from talking about buffs and nerfs. This thread is about 2v2 and 3v3 comps. Thanks!

Deleted
    Please refrain from talking about buffs and nerfs. This thread is about 2v2 and 3v3 comps. Thanks!
    Allready did give my input but damn I get easily carried away. sorry

Deleted
    LSD... boomy got buffed and so is shaman and affliction. Its already a t1 comp. Elemental has been nerft and is more of a risc survivability wise.
    Shadowcleave with unh dk also seems very strong, at least stronger than now.
    Tested all these comps on the ptr 2k+

10+ Year Old Account
    I still think that Shadowplay is going to be not only one of the better comps for locks this season.. But also the most fun.

With the buffs to individual dots and UA hopefully it will bring back a little fear to dispel everything and not give a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Why isnt 3 a reliable choice? Because of losing devour magic and/or SacPact? Sure... resummoning a new pet isnt hard if you have
    shards to spare or if they let you hardcast it. But while getting constantly tunneled that might be hard i think.

Thats why im wondering why it wouldnt be wiser to go without a pet since it feels too squishy anyways?
    What good does SacPact or Soul Link do if you cant use them?
    It's not a bad choice, but since you are already that squishy and you know you'll get focused, going with a 3 minute cooldown and the inability to use your silence while cc'ed is going to make it harder to survive. Besides, there's little gain from GoSac if you are unable to free cast a lot since it doesn't affect the damage of your dots.

I'm sure people can make GoSac + Dark Bargain work as affliction, but with the Fel Armor nerf and the new old Soul Link, I feel like GoSup +SL/SacPact is a lot safer to play. And you completely have a point that SacPact/SL would be rather useless if your pet is dead, but that's what you have a healer + pet management for. Your pet shouldn't be dying unless the other team is focusing on it, which means you can free cast and do whatever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    It's not a bad choice, but since you are already that squishy and you know you'll get focused, going with a 3 minute cooldown and the inability to use your silence while cc'ed is going to make it harder to survive. Besides, there's little gain from GoSac if you are unable to free cast a lot since it doesn't affect the damage of your dots.

I'm sure people can make GoSac + Dark Bargain work as affliction, but with the Fel Armor nerf and the new old Soul Link, I feel like GoSup +SL/SacPact is a lot safer to play. And you completely have a point that SacPact/SL would be rather useless if your pet is dead, but that's what you have a healer + pet management for. Your pet shouldn't be dying unless the other team is focusing on it, which means you can free cast and do whatever.
    Yeah I guess. Will be trying out SL/GoSup and SacPact/GoSup and see what feels best in the different matchups.

Going to try out Shadow Cleave and perhaps RLS. Depends on if my friend can make up his mind about going with
    assa or sub on his rogue. Anyone with experience from PTR on which will work the best in RLS? (assa or sub)
    Last edited by mmocb47e9d5b09; 2013-09-02 at 11:31 AM.