Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad they have no plans to add player housing. Player housing is a waste of development time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    the world is nearly dead, cities are almost afk centres. With player housing there would be near no point in the world at all. Its meant to be an mmo.
    The cities are dead because there isn't really much to do there.

But then what do you expect from an MMO that focuses almost all their resources on raiding?

Why else can you do at cities other than use the AH? Crafting? Once you cap your profession, the crafting part of the game ends right there. To use the anvil, forge, whatever is just busywork and far from what most people call "interesting gameplay".

Adding player housing will just move the AFKing from the cities to player houses, but in the end it's still AFKing while waiting for queues or groups to form. So what's the difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    So basically, it's the Sims. And then after you build enough, you never have to leave because you can farm in your own little block. So it goes from a MMO into the Sims into a single player farming game, and the only time you leave is to go raid (assuming you're already max level)

What part of that is fun? That completely negates the point. Granted, I don't actually farm mats for anything in WoW anyway, but still, at least sometimes I see people ride by on a mount or something farming. Not that it really matters... Actually, it makes no difference at all. But why waste resources to make no difference? That would be the equivalent to throwing money into a shredder.

EDIT: I will say I like how you attack the crops in your garden to harvest them. Because nothing sells delicate flower like attacking it with a sword. Quite enjoyed that, wish it was the same in WoW instead of the dumb cast time harvesting. =\
    Or you could go visit other players houses, at least their exterior ... If done well, players will come up with all sorts of cool looking creations.

Go on, keep making raids that only a miniscule percentage of the population really care about. Soon you will have just that, a miniscule population.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    i think this is one of those "vocal minority" things
    The whole idea of vocal minorities is flawed. Vocal groups - people posting on forums - are ALWAYS a minority in comparison to the entire game population. Even when 80% of the forum crowd wants player housing, Blizzard could still discard it as a "vocal minority" compared to the not-so-vocal remaining game population.

So please stop using this term as if it has any value at all.

I can honestly say that I think player housing = the dumbest idea ever and it'd be a huge waste of resources. Just pick a spot in your factions home city and pretend it's your toons home. DONE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    So basically, it's the Sims. And then after you build enough, you never have to leave because you can farm in your own little block. So it goes from a MMO into the Sims into a single player farming game, and the only time you leave is to go raid (assuming you're already max level)

What part of that is fun? That completely negates the point. Granted, I don't actually farm mats for anything in WoW anyway, but still, at least sometimes I see people ride by on a mount or something farming. Not that it really matters... Actually, it makes no difference at all. But why waste resources to make no difference? That would be the equivalent to throwing money into a shredder.
    Well yes @ Sims. Accept not Sims the single player game and more Sims as an MMO. That is a big part of the how housing should work. There is a whole demographic out there that loves that kind of thing. I think it's kinda fun too.
    But it all really comes down to implementation. It's a fine line to walk but having the option to show off the houses by opening them to the public is a good start. We will have to see if Wildstar will be able to pull this off. It might just work.

Like I said, check it out once Wildstar is out to see if it works. You can bet your ass Blizz will do the same thing. If Wildstar pulls it off Blizz can just copy what works and delete what doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    So yeah. That's the front page. Of all the other things that seemed mildly interesting to start a topic on, this is the only thing that really stuck a thorn in my side. I honestly don't think Blizzard gets the point of player housing. Or they do, but they are being completely oblivious as to why it's been something sought after for ages in this game. An instanced, phased or otherwise personalized chunk of the world is exactly what I personally would want. Having all the creative and decorative tools at my disposal I would work a masterpiece and when I was ready and done, I'd show it off to all my friends by inviting them to my group and allowing them to join my "phase" or "instance.

So I decided that I would open this thread (Considering doing a brief scan of the last couple of days and finding no similar threads) as to what the people of mmo-champ would like player housing for! My example being that I want privacy in my work and a perfect location and I am willing to give up seeing it in the world for being able to have artistic control over it. Conversation, go!

Edit: I forgot to mention that is very strange that my rp character has existed in the world of warcraft for 9 years now and still has no house. I just find it odd I have to make him sit in an inn if wants to sleep. Then again, the rp limitations of this game are enormous.
    See, this type of player housing is a complete waste of time. Ultima Online is the only game to get it close to right. I mean, sure it sucked when you'd hit a location with plots and no builds, but it was awesome to looking for a place and getting out your tool and getting it just perfect, then building your plot and decorating it. I loved it.

Housing in EQ or Rift... this instanced garbage... why bother.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The cities are dead because there isn't really much to do there.

But then what do you expect from an MMO that focuses almost all their resources on raiding?

Why else can you do at cities other than use the AH? Crafting? Once you cap your profession, the crafting part of the game ends right there. To use the anvil, forge, whatever is just busywork and far from what most people call "interesting gameplay".

Adding player housing will just move the AFKing from the cities to player houses, but in the end it's still AFKing while waiting for queues or groups to form. So what's the difference?
    Exactly. It would be just like housing in SWTOR (your ship), you can have EVERYTHING on your ship, no real need to leave it.

Remember, we're adventurers, adventurers don't have homes, which is why we reside at inns. If you don't want to reside at inns, then "go home and be a family man!"

Honestly, it'd feel like something that'd be too exclusive to RP'ers, I personally wouldn't use it for jack. The only interesting thing I've seen mentioned in this regard are guild houses where your guild can reside, that'd be more interesting than some kind of anti-social designer's cave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    My friend, guilds and player housing, is not in the same catagory.

- - - Updated - - -

Think it's more what most wishes, to have a place to customize and show off - sadly, the ideas they had for the farm was stopped again.
    I like it when people are given the ability to show off, but that inevitably leads to this:

"I pay my 15$ a month, but I don't have time to customize. GIEEFF BLIIZ PLZZ!"

player housing, oh you mean like TOOntown. my daughter used to have her own instance, and she would go do lots of dailies, and kill mobs to make enough jelly beans so she could buy furniture, and curtains, and rugs. oh how sweet for an 8 yr. old to build her own little house.

It would be just another grind and a waste of blizzard resources. They would have to add in that epic grind and make the rewards suitable. Just so you could show off your little toon town cottage.

I mean pet battle and pets to me are an epic waste of time but it has a connection to a lot of players because a lot of players did pokemon and such growing up or have kids that did it so they're familiar with it. ok there's a hook at least.

but how many players did toon town and have that connection.

Just another stupid idea imo.

Attackable guild forts would be awesome.

toon town is that way ------->

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    Because we would never see people in the world anymore, theyd just be chilling in their houses, and yes it would take away from meaningful content, theyre arnt going to hire more people to work on housing
    If you own the farm, you can do that now. Which I do at times. So your argument is invalid. The game needs player housing for the same reasons it needed transmorg armor/weapons and pets..mounts, etc. Some players would enjoy it and feel more immersion in the game with thier char. Just like some things in the game I donot care for....donot want a player house for your char? then donot have one. Not like you would be forced to have one.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2013-09-02 at 12:33 PM.

Blizzard have stated they don't want more reasons for players to ignore the rest of the world.
    Will players ever get the message, or will they keep intentionally ignoring that which does not suit them.
    Blizzard have given good reasons, but some people don't want a discussion, people for whom any there is no other point of view but their own, and anybody else is simply wrong.
    The community forced the need for LFD, for LFR.
    There is no reason to then intentionally take people out of the world even more.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-09-02 at 12:36 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Exactly. It would be just like housing in SWTOR (your ship), you can have EVERYTHING on your ship, no real need to leave it.
    Hmm, maybe my intended message got lost in translation to "bad english".

Player housing won't harm the liveliness of cities as much as you think.

Cities are pretty much dead as they are right now, you can't kill something that's already dead, because there isn't much to do in a city. I rather go farm ghost iron ore than stand around in the shrine staring at the overly bright floors.

You want lively cities? You want a lively over-world? You got to create stuff for players to do there - stuff that make sense BTW, putting the PVP and VP vendors in the middle of nowhere in MoP is not a case of "making sense".
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2013-09-02 at 12:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yeah, no player housing is a stupid idea, it's not interesting and adds no interesting gameplay whatsoever. I absolutely can not see why anyone would want player housing at the expense of something meaningful like, let's say, interesting end game content?
    Subjective opinion is subjective. It may come as a shock for you but there are people out there who would go heroic hard mode hardcore on their curtain choice to fit their virtual 4 corners. If there is a market for it, then blizzard should aim to get it.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I can honestly say that I think player housing = the dumbest idea ever and it'd be a huge waste of resources. Just pick a spot in your factions home city and pretend it's your toons home. DONE.
    Big difference. Players want to be able to decorate it, put stuff on the walls...buy handy stuff for it, like a stove, forge, anvil..etc. In other words "personalize" it. It is called "immersion".

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Yeah, no player housing is a stupid idea, it's not interesting and adds no interesting gameplay whatsoever. I absolutely can not see why anyone would want player housing at the expense of something meaningful like, let's say, interesting end game content?
    I have to agree I don't need to waste my time on such feature. We need more dailys/5mans/scenarios and stuff to do and not hang out on our very own farms.

Deleted
    Isn't the ranch in valley playerhousing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Hmm, maybe my intended message got lost in translation to "bad english".

Player housing won't harm the liveliness of cities as much as you think.

Cities are pretty much dead as they are right now, you can't kill something that's already dead, because there isn't much to do in a city. I rather go farm ghost iron ore than stand around in the shrine staring at the overly bright floors.

You want lively cities? You want a lively over-world? You got to create stuff for players to do there - stuff that make sense BTW, putting the PVP and VP vendors in the middle of nowhere in MoP is not a case of "making sense".
    They don't want lively cities, they want a lively world. To say the cities are dead would be considered a measure of success for them, player housing would run contrary to that.

By the same measure, if people aren't going to be using their housing because there's enough to do in the world, then what's the point in it?

I don't get what makes people so excited about wasting time decorating some useless room that you won't ever stay in again afterwards.

I can see why decorating a house/apartment of your own can become boring after a point. But imagine a ship of your own, and a grander one for your guild. Other than decorating and stuff, it would also serve as transit. Imagine you get a vast sea to explore, Wind Waker style, with your ship that technically serves as a mobile house.

I think that's far more interesting than an instanced room in Orgrimmar/Stormwind. Sunsong Ranch gave a taste of player housing and it's not that interesting besides serving as a renewable source for prof materials. Put that shit on a boat I say.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They don't want lively cities, they want a lively world. To say the cities are dead would be considered a measure of success for them, player housing would run contrary to that.
    Then they should remove the Dungeon Finder/Scenarios and BG queues.