Page 1 of 68
... LastLast

Question Did casuals ruin WoW and if so how?

Sup everyone so ive been playing WoW since about the start of BC and I know back then it was harder trying to clear content and the game in itself was a lot harder since there was no LFR or group find for anything plus you had to flyout to the actual instance. So basically if you werent in a hard core raiding guild you werent going to see any content. Ive seen a lot of posts on other forums talking about how WoW has been dumbed down to the point where its unplayable now and everyone is blaming the casual player for this. My question is how exactly did the casual "ruin" WoW?

No "Casual player" isn't a special type of player, if I like the game more, I will play more and will be something you call it "Hardcore" and if game is not fun for me, I'll play less and will be what you call it "Casual".
    Basically putting a lot of time in game isn't fun anymore that's why blizzard is making game what you call it "Casual" friendly, which is an ok move.

No the elitists ruined WoW with their demands..
    Nothing was hard just time-consuming. Lots of free time=you can have and IQ of 10 and still clear any content you want. BLizz like any other business saw the time constraint so they had to lower the difficulty along with the length of raids/took prebuffing out of the picture(like resistance buffing yourself, fire prot potions so forth) and introduced easier mechanics

This will be a calm, mature, and interesting debate.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rat View Post
    This will be a calm, mature, and interesting debate.
    Lets add with the definition of what is a casual?

I don't like the direction WoW has taken, and I'd much rather if it was still like Vanilla or TBC, but, if Blizzard did want to change the game to appeal to a more broad audience, and to be more casual friendly, then they didn't ''ruin'' WoW. They simply changed it to what they thought was better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard did ruin wow , not the players nor the community.

Quote Originally Posted by xXzCoDProxXz View Post
    No the elitists ruined WoW with their demands..
    Nothing was hard just time-consuming.
    If something takes more time, it is by definition, harder.

Also, I take it you never actually tried 4 horsemen back in Vanilla, or KT, or M'uru, etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    I don't like the direction WoW has taken, and I'd much rather if it was still like Vanilla or TBC, but, if Blizzard did want to change the game to appeal to a more broad audience, and to be more casual friendly, then they didn't ''ruin'' WoW. They simply changed it to what they thought was better.
    In other words the one that rakes in the most money :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing ruining WoW is the Playerbase in general.

Between the elitist "E-thletes" (lol), the nostalgic old grognards, the cluleless newbs, and the whiny slapped-faced gimme-gimmes, they have ALL helped kill WoW. IF WoW does die (big if), it'll be death by a thousand cuts like these.

The rarest spawn in the whole game is apparently a player who is enjoying themselves....
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    if this game still had the tbc model i think the subs would be even lower to be honest.

so casuals are prob saving this game

another one of these posts yeah waste of my time to read

casuals made wow. go play everquest and ultima online and tell me vanilla wow wasnt casual as shit
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Blizzard did ruin wow , not the players nor the community.
    Wow isn't ruined.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why in the fuck would they have ruined WoW?
    Just because someone doesn't have the same focus as you (the royal you, not directly the OP) they've ruined your gameplay?
    Blizzard is still producing content for everyone, it's just that an overwhelming majority of them don't want to raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

vanilla? casual as hell

bc even more fucking casual

wrath casualpalooza

cata? hardcore twist turn fail

mists CASUAL MIS CASUAL GONE MO CASUAL CASUAL @_@
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    The only thing ruining WoW is the Playerbase in general.

Between the elitist "E-thletes" (lol), the nostalgic old grognards, the cluleless newbs, and the whiny slapped-faced gimme-gimmes, they have ALL helped kill WoW. IF WoW does die (big if), it'll be death by a thousand cuts like these.

The rarest spawn in the whole game is apparently a player who is enjoying themselves....
    I think there is a lot more than you think that enjoy this game more now than then. I used to play via vanilla. The only thing I missed was SouthShore Tauren mill brawls. Other than that, the game has seen nothing but better IMO. I enjoy it, I quit right when Cata came out, and just came back a month ago. Not because the game was bad, but because of personal reasons.

Honestly, I think a lot of people really still enjoy the game for the most part. The reason that the game loses subs is probably because of all the multiple accounts people did away with and a lot of the mid 20's-30's genre just growing up, having kids, etc. I know most of the people I used to play with have all had life changing events lead to them stop playing the game, and it's probably happening to a lot of the subscribers now. Not to mention how many other MMO's are out there taking a few here and there away just because they are "new" and something different.

All in all, I think wow is still going strong and will for many years to come. Look Everquest is still spitting out xpac's lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    vanilla? casual as hell

bc even more fucking casual

wrath casualpalooza

cata? hardcore twist turn fail

mists CASUAL MIS CASUAL GONE MO CASUAL CASUAL @_@
    They even admit the hardcore thing in Cata was a complete disaster and even better hahaha because of It's name ''Cataclysm'' :P

in otherwords if you played wow at all you're a filthy casual and need to be quiet ya casual

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will never understand why people prefered to have to: feed pets with shit, buy vials and poison mats, buy arrows, buy runestones for portals, symbols for paladin buffs and all that crap. I hated all of that stuff. Maybe the raids were more fun back then but these minor inconviniences really bothered me always and I don't miss them. Also mounts @ lvl 40&60 was total bullshit, 20&40 is much better for leveling.
    Does anyone remember how boring leveling lockpicking was? Because I do. This brings me to weapon skills, when you got a new bow and you used a gun before all your attacks miss because of your skill being level 1 instead of 200 :/

On topic, not casuals ruined the game but blizzard that wanted more income by making the game attractive, faster, convinient and less time consuming.
    Last edited by Glaziola; 2013-09-03 at 04:34 PM.