Page 37 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't mind the changes to armies. The limit on number of stacks is irrelevant since the best tactic in all recent games (Empire onwards) has been to stick everything together and roll over people. I have a maximum of 9 right now, which is more than enough. It would be nice to be able to manually reinforce garrisons with extra troops if you know you're about to be attacked or you need some extra repression, but overall I haven't had any serious problems with public order so far. It takes a lot of shit before anything rebels.

- - - Updated - - -

Amphibious assaults working as intended

10+ Year Old Account
    after failing the campaign as both iceni and subei i restarted as sparta!

they are so strong its silly.

anyway, the aI just attacked an army of mine with 1300 men in it, his army has 26men. 26. was going to auto resolve, but thought it would be funnier play the battle, he actually routed one of my units...
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Kasen Ibaraki View Post
    Landsharksboats!

Also, it finally got the first-time set up done. If I don't show up in this thread again for 12 hours, it's because my GPU couldn't handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Landsharksboats!

Also, it finally got the first-time set up done. If I don't show up in this thread again for 12 hours, it's because my GPU couldn't handle it.
    just beware, the game is terribly unoptimized and lots of bugs :P
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Jesus Christ, the optimization of this game is the shittiest I've seen my life. I also felt my RAM getting murdered. The textures are junk even on Ultra settings. I've even seen large pixels on things that are on fire.

Come on man, RTW 1 had better graphics and doesn't lag like this.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-09-03 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    after failing the campaign as both iceni and subei i restarted as sparta!

they are so strong its silly.
    Played Suebi first thenn restarted as Egypt its so much easier. The barbarian early units are really terible and there is hardly anny variety.

The balance of power bar is also totaly off half the time. My 20 stack army having a 10% chance to win against 5 units. I butchered those guys trowing rocks.
    ( slingers rock )

Well then. That's me not playing at all until I get my card fixed. Army units look like something from Minecraft at 50+ meters away on Lowest. And let's not get started on the terrain or buildings. I'd rather wait than play the game looking like that.

Best of luck to the rest of you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Well then. That's me not playing at all until I get my card fixed. Army units look like something from Minecraft at 50+ meters away on Lowest. And let's not get started on the terrain or buildings. I'd rather wait than play the game looking like that.

Best of luck to the rest of you!
    that might not be an issue with your card, lots of people are having simmilar issues.
    dragonmaw - EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    Jesus Christ, the optimization of this game is the shittiest I've seen my life. I also felt my RAM getting murdered. The textures are junk even on Ultra settings. I've even seen large pixels on things that are on fire.

Come on man, RTW 1 had better graphics and doesn't lag like this.
    Apparently messing around with your settings manually can improve things a bit. But the game is pretty broken no matter how you look at it, so you might just have to deal with it for a while.

It's pretty much unenjoyable with my current PC. Battles that last 5:30 minutes actually last 20 minutes, because of 1 fps.. Everything on Low, Minecraft units, and still...
    I have intel core duo 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, and Nvidia 240 GT 512 MB.
    My campaign is going bad.. almost no income atm, can't take any new settlements, cause i have small armies scattered in 4 ways :/

Deleted
    that might not be an issue with your card, lots of people are having simmilar issues.
    This game needs a patch half its size.

It's my issue that my current card can't handle anything.

So I played for about 40 min last night then went to bed. After fixing my sink I came back to it today after reading about all the problems.

So last night I wasn't really having lag problems but I did notice the soldiers looked rather terrible. First thing I did was look at the historical battles and was disappointing to find so few. Incoming DLC I thought. Next I tried the prologue and I failed the first mission because I attacked the flank of the enemy and was doing well but the general who I was supposed to save died before I could break the flank. Next I moved to the campaign and found myself really confused by the UI. So I decided to attack before I went to bed. I easily had the number advantage and almost lost due to the ai's cav running all over my flank before I could secure it. I did have the timer running.

Today I played about another hour. I went back to the prologue and played it correctly this time winning the first fight. The second fight, which is in the rain, went smoothly thanks to a flanking cav unit. Thankfully the prologue explained the ui to me. The last mission I did was attacking a village. The Ai set up inside the town center Every time I tried to flank they would come out and attack so I lost alot of men just trying to surround the village. I did win in the end.

My thoughts: The graphics seem incomplete. They look broken and don't seem to change a whole lot when switching settings. I decided to turn off SSAO and AA for smoother play. Battle control is more chaotic and its really hard to tell who is who. Plus when you cause a retreat it seems much harder to ride them down like you could in rome 1. I imagine this will have huge consequences in the campaign but for the prologue it won't effect much since its scripted.

Overall its alot of fun and once they fix the graphics and I get used to the new ui I will be having a blast.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    I don't know how you guys are failing in the campaign. It's been ridiculously easy as Iceni, just attack one enemy unit with all of your melee units and pop frenzy.

I don't know, so far it seems like there's barely any strategy needed.
    i dont get how people have such big armies, i tried to make mine big but my food ran out, and my income dropped so low so i had to disband units, but the ai somehow manages to maintain 3 armies of 12units each. no problems with sparta so far, but the 2 barbarians i tried just didn't go well.
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    Yea, you can't separate your army from general, I'm ok with the CONCEPT. But give us more generals then for pete's sake..
    i'm okay with armies requiring generals now and same goes for recruitment being done directly inside the army instead of at actual military buildings. i don't like it, but it's just a minor issue for me personally.

but not being able to, for example, retreat with an army towards the nearest city and join forces with the garrisoned army against an incoming siege, is just retarded. you'd have to park one of the generals outside the city. because logic, right?

also, i like having several capture points in big cities, but why the heck do i have to defend a capture point in a field battle? we're not even talking about a small village or even a really, really beautiful tree that we simply can't live without.. just, in the middle of nowhere, there is a flag. and if i don't defend that flag, i instantly lose.
    why the hell would they do that? it means the defender has to stay in a fixed - and completely arbitrary - position in both deployment and battle. want to take a good defensive position that would actually make sense, like on a hill? nooope, can't do.

*sighs*
    this game really has me shaking my head in some respects..

10+ Year Old Account
    I like only generals being able to recruit and move armies but you get far too many of them. I've never needed more than three or four stacks in a total war game before so six on turn 1? Major overkill.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    why the heck do i have to defend a capture point in a field battle? we're not even talking about a small village or even a really, really beautiful tree that we simply can't live without.. just, in the middle of nowhere, there is a flag. and if i don't defend that flag, i instantly lose.
    why the hell would they do that? it means the defender has to stay in a fixed - and completely arbitrary - position in both deployment and battle. want to take a good defensive position that would actually make sense, like on a hill? nooope, can't do.
    Yeah, that sounds exceptionally annoying. There's not even a way to turn those off?

Deleted
    One thing I noticed is that I can no longer continue the battle after the enemy is routing. It forces me to end it. And the campaign feels like a dumbed down version of Civ 5. I miss the old messages you got for the events that happened on the map.

This game is really, really dumbed down. It better not get high scores because it's mediocre at best.

For the glory of the roman empire.......... oh wait its updating...........

Still deciding if to play as Macedon or Rome or Carthage as my first play through

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    The AI has never had any upkeep cost in any Total War game afaik.
    And just keep building/upgrading your +food buildings.
    ran out of buildings to build because of tech AI barbarians just steamrolled me so early on with huge armies

havn't had that problem as sparta yet though, but i got a feeling its coming!
    dragonmaw - EU