View Poll Results: what do you think of russia sending in warships?

Voters
182. This poll is closed
  • good move to save civilians

65 35.71%
  • bad move because it could lead to a conflict on accident

22 12.09%
  • russia wants to flex its muscles, maybe even start a small skirmish with the US

66 36.26%
  • other

29 15.93%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    fixt

/10
    You'd do well to not underestimate Putin's Russia. He's hell bent on bringing Russia back to the status of superpower and he's been modernizing Russia's military and streamlining its economy to do exactly that. Might not be a threat today, but give them another 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Russia wont do anything there. Maybe shoot down missiles, if they attacked US in them waters their ships are doomed and they know it.
    You need to step out of this fantasy world you created for yourself. US did not have a single engagement since WW2 in which they were on par technologically with their opponent, they like to start fights with small countries who can't defend themselves.

It's true that US dominates power projection at sea with largest carrier fleet, main reason why Russian and say Chinese navy is more focused on having subs and other types of ships to counter this, not to mention Syria is just next to Russia basically, if anything does happen the battle would be over before any reinforcements would come for US.

To be honest, if Russia had balls (lack of which they showed many times before) they could play this really smart. The same way US claims regime used chemical weapons, Russians claim rebels did, so if and when attack starts Russians should simply bomb rebel positions, since US does not plan to intervene by ground force there would be no active force on the ground to take positions from regime forces. Syria & Russian win.
    Last edited by Wromthrax; 2013-09-06 at 02:50 AM.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Russia has approximately 1800 nukes active, they are still a world power.
    by that metric France, UK, Pakistan, India, China, NK, and Israel are all world powers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wromthrax View Post
    You need to step out of this fantasy world you created for yourself. US did not have a single engagement since WW2 in which they were on par technologically with their opponent, they like to start fights with small countries who can't defend themselves.

It's true that US dominates power projection at sea with largest carrier fleat, main reason why Russian and say Chinese navy is more focused on having subs and other types of ships to counter this, not to mention Syria is just next to Russia basically, if anything does happen the battle would be over before any reinforcements would come for US.
    you realize that for Vietnam they had, for the time, modern weapons givin to them by Russia in some cases they even out classed us
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

It's true that US dominates power projection at sea with largest carrier fleat, main reason why Russian and say Chinese navy is more focused on having subs and other types of ships to counter this, not to mention Syria is just next to Russia basically, if anything does happen the battle would be over before any reinforcements would come for US.
    To be fair though, the US spends as much on their annual defense budget as the top 25 or some such number's budgets combined. If budget is any indicator, an opponent who is a technological match should not exist.

Russia has approximately 1800 nukes active, they are still a world power.
    Nuke's only power is in their deterrence

You'd do well to not underestimate Putin's Russia. He's hell bent on bringing Russia back to the status of superpower and he's been modernizing Russia's military and streamlining its economy to do exactly that. Might not be a threat today, but give them another 10-15 years.
    I have serious doubts russia will be able to check the rampant corruption in their defense sector.

And russia does not and will not have the economy to be a superpower.
    Last edited by Olo; 2013-09-06 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post

you realize that for Vietnam they had, for the time, modern weapons givin to them by Russia in some cases they even out classed us
    The VC had a pretty stellar air force if you look into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...Russia has a base in Syria. You would think they would have at least one ship in the area.

The media is weird....

Why would Russia want to pick a fight with a carrier group? Especially with US bases within range.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2013-09-06 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    ...Russia has a base in Syria. You would think they would have at least one ship in the are.

The media is weird....
    That's right I forgot that Russia has an overseas base in Syria. In fact I think the Syrian base is their only one.

how fast can russia invade the united states, just need to spit and they'll hit an alaskan. how fast could the US defend. 1- 2 weeks late.

if we, the US, keep playing the role of the bully, someone bigger is going to hurt us. and last I remember russia is 2-0 in winter wars(napoleon, hitler).

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    how fast can russia invade the united states, just need to spit and they'll hit an alaskan. how fast could the US defend. 1- 2 weeks late.

if we, the US, keep playing the role of the bully, someone bigger is going to hurt us. and last I remember russia is 2-0 in winter wars(napoleon, hitler).
    Yes I'm sure the Pentagon has never considered the fact that the Aleutians practically sit on the Welcome Mat to Russian waters.

10+ Year Old Account

Someone has played too much CoD.

Quote Originally Posted by steale View Post
    To be fair though, the US spends as much on their annual defense budget as the top 25 or some such number's budgets combined. If budget is any indicator, an opponent who is a technological match should not exist.
    To be fair as well it's not all about the money, it depends how you spend it as well.

Also the level in technological superiority if any would be a lot smaller, leading to a lot more casualties and damage take by US army, something that's not even considered when attacking a inferior foe and shooting things from distance and high altitude.

If Russia would show teeth US would back off from this conflict, but they won't as usual .
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

To be fair as well it's not all about the money, it depends how you spend it as well.

Also the level in technological superiority if any would be a lot smaller, leading to a lot more casualties and damage take by US army, something that's not even considered when attacking a inferior foe and shooting things from distance and high altitude.

If Russia would show teeth US would back off from this conflict, but they won't as usual .
    The day is fast approaching when Russia will have no reason to back down. Their army is rapidly modernizing and their economy is exploding.

I, for one, can't wait for the day when someone once again has the balls to tell the US "no" and have the bite to back up its bark.

There is nobody bigger, and no such "skirmish" will occur. The U.S. will have very clear ROE and there is absolutely zero chance Russia will attack a U.S. carrier group.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The day is fast approaching when Russia will have no reason to back down. Their army is rapidly modernizing and their economy is exploding.

I, for one, can't wait for the day when someone once again has the balls to tell the US "no" and have the bite to back up its bark.
    You might want to check your numbers again. Either that or redefine 'exploding'

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    You might want to check your numbers again. Either that or redefine 'exploding'
    No I'm pretty sure I'm in the right of this.

Russia's economy has been absolutely booming over the last 20 years.

Deleted
    Is it really that surprising?

These things often happen under the guise of something else.

Deleted
    Sigh... somethimes I feel people on this forums completely lost sense of reality. The reason is simply surveillance, moving ships in observation range is a standard procedure. It also opens the possibility to evacuate military personal from Russian naval base in Syria if neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    No I'm pretty sure I'm in the right of this.

Russia's economy has been absolutely booming over the last 20 years.
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russ...-growth-annual

5 consecutive quarters of slowdown

1.6% in Q1, 1.2% in Q2

hardly booming

Russia wants to show that they are still a potent world power.
    Well good, with all this depressing news about Syria we could all use a laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.