Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is Warcraft 4 coming?

With the final Starcraft 2 expansion getting wrapped up (at least from a concept art & storyboard perspective) is there a chance we might see the SC2 programming team turn to the long-awaited fourth Warcraft RTS? If Blizz is working on Titan, WoW expansions and Diablo 3, are they perhaps too busy to make it, or could it be like Hearthstone where they build a new development team?

How would all the new races in WoW fit in to the established Human>Orc>Undead>Nelf WC3 setup? In fact, does WoW need to finish BEFORE WC4 comes along, or could they coincide?

Thoughts?

I wish. I still love the Warcraft universe and story and really miss it now that I'm not currently playing WoW, but I just don't like the current design direction for gameplay in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    WoW is pretty much the vehicle for anything that Blizzard would want to do in the warcraft universe. Outside of them wanting to shift perspectives and make another RTS with a slightly divergent art direction to rival Starcraft, I really don't see any possibility of a fourth warcraft game ever being made
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

For as long as WoW is up and running, I doubt there will be a Warcraft 4. Blizzard would have a hard time running them simultaneously without one ruining the story for the other. If they ever did a Warcraft 4 though, I think they would probably do a horde vs. alliance deal instead of individual races.

WoW still has a decent amount of years i'm sure. And even after that it would probably be a significant wait for WC4.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be nice to have a WC4 with ALL the in-game faction races that we're able to play in WoW itself right now.
    But that requires alot of work, And WoW is still doing great for its age, so don't think we see a WC4 any time soon.
    Also, A while ago a developer of blizzard said something about that they want a wc4 in future if possible, but right now everyone is working on SC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    WC 4 will probably come, but I don't think it would be released earlier then 3-5 years after SC 2.

We could either get a time skip, so that either WoW or WC 4 would take place after WoW Expansion X and the next WoW expansion would take place after WC 4 (if we get a time skip) or, like a novel, the game basically tells of events that happen in various places and ties in a new expansion.

Seems unlikely, IMO the only way they could do it is if it ran side by side with a WoW expansion.

Also don't know how much Blizzard would really want to do it, RTS is a bit niche these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Seems unlikely, IMO the only way they could do it is if it ran side by side with a WoW expansion.

Also don't know how much Blizzard would really want to do it, RTS is a bit niche these days.
    So are the Trade Card Game, But they still did it

I wouldn't mind them wrapping WoW up with 'The Dark Blow' > Legion expansion, with the SC2 team moving to make W4 whilst those expansions are still running with WoW then ending, moving on to W4 + expansions taking place after WoW, whilst the WoW team focus on 'WoW 2' with it being released after W4 is done with.

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    I wouldn't mind them wrapping WoW up with 'The Dark Blow' > Legion expansion, with the SC2 team moving to make W4 whilst those expansions are still running with WoW then ending, moving on to W4 + expansions taking place after WoW, whilst the WoW team focus on 'WoW 2' with it being released after W4 is done with.
    They aren't going to end WoW just to make a WC4 though unless the subscription numbers dive dangerously low. I doubt that would happen in 'The Dark Below'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    They aren't going to end WoW just to make a WC4 though unless the subscription numbers dive dangerously low. I doubt that would happen in 'The Dark Below'.
    A RTS game wouldn't still beat WoW in cash even if it was popular, WoW is a big cash cow, even below 1M it's still alot of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    A RTS game wouldn't still beat WoW in cash even if it was popular, WoW is a big cash cow, even below 1M it's still alot of cash.
    Which is why I said what I said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see it happen, certainly. I think it could be developed alongside WoW provided they make WC4 enough of a departure storywise - something like setting it 500-800 years after the current era of WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    I'd like to see it happen, certainly. I think it could be developed alongside WoW provided they make WC4 enough of a departure storywise - something like setting it 500-800 years after the current era of WoW.
    They considered something fairly similar for WCII (The Orcs opening a portal to the Modern Day) and decided it would be stupid and not Warcraft.

WCIV will happen, they've said that it will have a similar model to SCII as far as Box releases go, but it won't be for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    God I would love for Blizzard to develop WC4, that would be so interesting doing a whole new story line. New lore is always welcome, I was against the Pandaren lore when I first heard about Mists but they sure did a good job with it, if they do end up developing a WC4 I would really be interested in the new story line.

On a side note: Been subbed to your channel for awhile now, always looking forward to your discussions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    They considered something fairly similar for WCII (The Orcs opening a portal to the Modern Day) and decided it would be stupid and not Warcraft.

WCIV will happen, they've said that it will have a similar model to SCII as far as Box releases go, but it won't be for a while.
    Where did you hear this? The last I remember Blizzard saying anything about a possible Warcraft IV was years ago when they said that the plan at the time was anything Warcraft would be an MMO going forward.

I really don't see them doing a Warcraft RTS any time soon. Right now they have three franchises and each is a separate genre. If then were going to make another RTS, why would they not just make Starcraft III?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Wouldn't even need to be modern era or anything, just a big chunk of time so that WoW can develop freely without interfering with WC4's story. It'd be an opportunity for a clean slate in a lot of ways, and for making major and exciting changes to the setting that the MMO can't do for various reasons.

And while it doesn't have to become sci-fi or anything, pushing everyone's technological development forwards wouldn't hurt. I made a thread with a bunch of ideas for new war tech that the various races could utilize, there's lots there that I think would be better represented as an RTS rather than as elements in an MMO.

WOW is halting all of Blizzards projects involving MMORPGs and any game involving Warcraft lore. Hearthstone is not really an exception, as it does not have any significant story or lore attached to it. So until WOW declines even further, possible dipping bellow the million mark, we won't see anything significant come out of the Warcraft franchise.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna see custom hero classes that take your character from WoW and import it into WC4.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy