Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Any good mythological books?

Hey guys, i have been recently watching some movies on the Trojan-war and such. The Odyssey was a great movie i watched before, never read the book but felt like it would be the same. The thing is, i'm not looking for a huge book to read. Something along the lines of 300-500 pages. Mainly i am looking for a book that deals with the old gods such as Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Achilles, Ares, etc. I want it to be entertaining and able to keep my attention.

I can't find the motivation to finish reading Game Of Thrones, made it to page 300 and just kind of stopped. Still on the first book but that's not the point.
    I may lose interest if the book is not interesting. Anything revolving around the old gods would be ideal or something related to the Wars they were in. Maybe an action-oriented book based on the gods?

What kind of books are out there that may interest me? Really want to start reading again. I was looking at:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mythology-Time...440542&sr=1-10

I'm still wanting more options though, there may be something better. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Deleted
    http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/mythology Take a look here, I wont vouche for the lists there but there are several lists covering mythology

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, 5 books, with sequel series including Roman Mythology as well.
    Yes there are 2 movies out already, it's pretty much teenage oriented, but still a great read.

It's not exactly Mythology but Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony is pretty fantastic. They are books about Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Satan and God, in that order.

Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" that you linked is a cornerstone in mythological study. It tells the myths and talks about them but it's not a narrative type of book if that's what you're looking for.

If you are looking for (re)tellings of the myths themselves, Hamilton's book is great, but if you're looking for a fictional novel that incorporates the major players across a book-long single story, that isn't the book for you.
    In the latter case I'd recommend Neil Gaiman's American Gods, but that book assumes the reader has a pretty solid knowledge of mythology to "get" the finer details. But it does feature key gods in fictional roles.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was checking out the Percy Jackson books on the internet. Getting some reviews, not any spoilers though. Just wondering if it is a big deal if i skipped the "Lightning Thief" because i have already seen the movie and feel like i'll be reading the same thing. Would it be a big deal to skip to "The Lightning Thief" and go ahead and read the second book?

Also, anyone else recommend these Percy Jackson books?
    If there are any other books mainly focusing around the Gods and not demigods that would be greatly appreciated. I still want it to be in a Narrative Point Of View.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    You could try David Gemmell's Troy series. It's loosely based on the Iliad, Odyssey and Aeneid but different enough from them to still be interesting if you are familiar with those stories.
    Three books in the series: Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder and Fall of Kings.
    Bear in mind that the last one was finished by Gemmell's wife after he died.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    I was checking out the Percy Jackson books on the internet. Getting some reviews, not any spoilers though. Just wondering if it is a big deal if i skipped the "Lightning Thief" because i have already seen the movie and feel like i'll be reading the same thing. Would it be a big deal to skip to "The Lightning Thief" and go ahead and read the second book?

If there are any other books mainly focusing around the Gods and not demigods that would be greatly appreciated. I still want it to be in a Narrative Point Of View.
    IF you're looking for mythology books to read, the Percy Jackson series of books are really good but they do have the teenage factor there so you would kinda have to go with it (It's really not that bad).

I would NOT skip The Lightning Thief. Like many book to movies, the movie does not do it justice and there are a number of things that happen in the book you never see and some things you see in the movie that never happened or didn't happen the way the movie portrayed it. Don't skip it.

There are 5 books in The Lightning Theif series which are good as well as another newer series that is on it's 4th book (due out October this year). It's another 5 book series from the same guy with the same Percy Jackson cast as well as new members on the scene.

If you want to read something with the Greek mythology all those books are very well done with mythology as it's backbone in the story. It just has some teenage angst that can easily be read through.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    IF you're looking for mythology books to read, the Percy Jackson series of books are really good but they do have the teenage factor there so you would kinda have to go with it (It's really not that bad).

I would NOT skip The Lightning Thief. Like many book to movies, the movie does not do it justice and there are a number of things that happen in the book you never see and some things you see in the movie that never happened or didn't happen the way the movie portrayed it. Don't skip it.

There are 5 books in The Lightning Theif series which are good as well as another newer series that is on it's 4th book (due out October this year). It's another 5 book series from the same guy with the same Percy Jackson cast as well as new members on the scene.

If you want to read something with the Greek mythology all those books are very well done with mythology as it's backbone in the story. It just has some teenage angst that can easily be read through.
    I feel like my first post got skipped xD
    ..but this guy explained it a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post

Don't skip the book. It's different than the movie in a lot of ways. Same basic plot but goes in other directions. I really liked the series, I say go for it.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.