• Mankrik's wife

135 30.41%
  • Other

43 9.68%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Is it just me, or does it remind me a lot of either: The sunken city (Lovecraft) or At the Mountains of Madness (also lovecraft)
    The hints to me sound either as R'lyeh or the cities built on Yuggoth.

Both work as well. Gotta love the Lovecraftian lore

I'd say Ny'alotha is under the sea. I wouldn't be suprised if it is Naz'jatar tbh, and that the Black Forest is metaphorical for something. I doubt its actually a forest, and theres a chance that the stuff we've heard about Ny'alotha already is metaphorical.

I like the idea that Ny'alotha = N'zoth. We would finally see a whole old god instead of its head and some tentacles. I wonder how big an old god is

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    So, The Dark Below is pretty much 100% now. We will also most likely bump into Ny'alotha. But the whispers aren't really clear what it actually is.
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Dark_Below

It could have nothing to do with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nintendo5998 View Post
    I like the idea that Ny'alotha = N'zoth. We would finally see a whole old god instead of its head and some tentacles. I wonder how big an old god is
    Yogg-Saron is the size of Northrend.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Yogg-Saron is the size of Northrend.
    That's a pretty small head he has then if he is really the size of northrend o.O i know his prison at least reaches Vordrassil to gnaw on it roots, but it doesn't mean he is as big as his prison.

Deleted
    That's a pretty small head he has then if he is really the size of northrend o.O i know his prison at least reaches Vordrassil to gnaw on it roots, but it doesn't mean he is as big as his prison.
    Don't forget the bit where Old Gods aren't exactly... 100% material. While tendrils of Yogg-Saron did indeed reach as far as Vordrassil and Azjol'Nerub, it might very well be that those were simply the places where he could reach through the cracks in his prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    His blood is found throughout Northrend, but that could just indicate that it flows from a source throughout the land. Or possibly the deposits of his blood come from his battle with the Titans that presumably took place somewhere in the region of Northrend, and he shed a lot of blood all over the place. The faceless ones and forgotten ones are certainly found everywhere.

His influence is also spread through his blood, so that may go some distance towards explaining his influence stretching so far from his prison.

Honestly, I've heard the assertion that the Old Gods are absolutely gigantic, but I don't see any great sign of it. If they're around the size of the forgotten ones I'd agree, that's pretty big. Certainly mountain-sized.

Haven't seen any indication that they're continent-sized.

What I hope:

Far beneath the oceans is a dark wretched dry (repeat, DRY which means no swimming) continent called Ny'alotha where N'Zoth dwells. In theory it's a massive underground cavern, but it's so large that you can never tell that it is one for it's so massive, it has an atmosphere. The skylines of Ny'alotha are similar to Outland in the regard that there are no blue skies and sun. Thick fog with giant crystals, mists from massive chunks of ice, and the fading light from the ocean above create seemingly natural skylines while other zones are influenced by the presence of N'Zoth, from pulsing clouds to shifting caverns to corrupted mists.

On this continent lies a variety of zones, such as:

The Sunken City of Ny'alotha - Probably based on "R'lyeh", the sunken city where C'thulu sleeps. Lot of madness going on. Similar to Azeroth, it's the name of both the continent and a kingdom.

The Black Forest - "Look around... They will all betray you... Flee screaming into the black forest..." and "There is a little lamb lost in dark woods...".

Naz'Jatar - Where Queen Azshara reigns. Deathwing's Cataclysm damaged it but it still stands as the Naga capital. Remember, N'Zoth did save Azshara and her Highborne.

Then you have room for all sorts of stuff, like ice caverns, volcanic lands, Old God affected dry sea floors, salt flats, etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Dark_Below

It could have nothing to do with this.
    All that information is from a book released in ~2001 that has since been removed from Warcraft canon: so it's not that.

Based on the quotes, the best fit is: Ny'alotha is a sunken city, in which an old god sleeps. This is undoubtedly Nazjatar, which is inside the Rift (The Dark Below). N'zoth is also currently resting next to Nazjatar: we have seen numerous hints at N'zoth already.

There is also been hints at The Emerald Dream - in one of the Malfurion books he encounters a rift in the emerald dream which is often speculated (even by Malfurion, i think?) to be The Rift. N'zoth is also the creator of the Emerald Dream, so if he's sleeping in the Rift, and Malfurion believes the origin of the ED is the Rift of Aln (The Rift as seen from within the Emerald Dream), then he's probably seeing the nexus between N'zoths Azerothian mind (at The Rift) as it is portrayed within the ED (as The Rift of Aln).

I'm confident it's a Nazjatar / N'zoth / Emerald Dream expansion.

The only canon references to The Dark Below in WoW right now are the following:

Ozumat, Fiend of the Dark Below (who was born in Gishan Caverns, in The Rift).

Erudax, The Duke of Below - agent of N'zoth

Both of those are the only canon references, and both of them link directly back to N'zoth (either because Gishan Caverns is right beside N'zoths current bed, or because Erudax is an emissary of N'zoth).

Yogg Saron has been hinting at N'zoth since Northrend, Cataclysm was N'zoths doing, Pandaria was Y'shaarj trying to get ready to combat N'zoth waking up (which we foil), and then during the final Siege of Orgrimmar battle Y'shaarj warns us about N'zoth.

Definitely not a demon expansion.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

This thing with Vordrassil is probably a remain of the Old Location intended for Yogg, Yogg was actually supposed to be in Azjol-Nerub being BFF's with the Nerubians, in Vordrassil there is even some kind of Entrance that could easily be turned into a Instance Entrance.

I think that Old Gods are big, but not that big that their size spans entire continents.

Deleted
    I am liking the idea from that "leak" that Ny'alotha is actually N'zoth himself.

As somebody have already stated in this thread, many of Lovecraft's themes dealt with shapeless, formless, abstract beings that cannot be fully grasped. We do not know how OGs actually look like as we only encountered parts of them, but those parts were quite material, even if aberrant in shape.

However N'zoth is essentially a "dream lord", so I think it would be fitting if N'zoth's true form would be something more abstract than C'thun's or Yogg-saron's form.

I would imagine Nazjatar would be somewhere near Ny'alotha but not the same as it, then as we descend further into the rift, there would be a twisted city in the middle of it, littered with towering spires and architecture that seems both inorganic and fleshy at the same time, and this would be N'zoth's "appearance" in Azeroth. And perhaps in the middle would be a larger spire where the Emerald Dream bleeds through and that spire leads to a further part of the city that gets more surreal and demented, as it is essentially in the Nightmare. That would be a raid and N'zoth's dreamlike manifestation would be in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    This thing with Vordrassil is probably a remain of the Old Location intended for Yogg, Yogg was actually supposed to be in Azjol-Nerub being BFF's with the Nerubians, in Vordrassil there is even some kind of Entrance that could easily be turned into a Instance Entrance.

I think that Old Gods are big, but not that big that their size spans entire continents.
    I think you can see Old Gods as fungus. Only a small part is visible but they can be very, very large. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_organisms#Fungi

I'm leaning towards the idea that Ny'alotha and N'Zoth are one in the same. This would be a prime time to reveal the true extent of an Old God's corporeal form. A lot of people seem skeptical of the idea that Old Gods are gigantic.. but a close reading of the lore reveals that they are truly massive in actual proportion, easily the size of a continent like Pandaria. What we fight as "surface forms" are a mere fraction of their total power.

The Old Gods were buried by the Titans, and a magical slumber was induced on them (this suppresses the vast majority of their power, but not all of it). The continents that they reside under serve as their primary prisons, while secondary prisons house 3 of them in their surface forms (Yogg'Saron, Y'Shaarj, and the 5th Unnamed). It is stated that 3 Old Gods were imprisoned in this way, while two of them got away. C'Thun was the first to get away (he was thought dead by the Titans when they killed his surface form during the start of the war), and N'Zoth is the other.

The 5th one is likely beneath Kharazan, and is alluded to with the statement about the "Rook among the dead trees". Deadwind Pass. Kharazan Tower (looks like a Rook in Chess). It was stated a long time ago that there was a sub-level of Kharazan. This is probably the last Titan Prison.

Think of the Old Gods as gigantic parasites. Even when the Titans arrived, the level of infestation on Azeroth had reached critical levels. Excising them would destroy the world. So they imprisoned them instead. But a lot of people are confused by what the prisons are.. as above, let me repeat, there are two kinds of prisons that were used. The "Watcher Prison", like Yogg'Saron and Y'Shaarj, and the "Tectonic Prison", the continents that cover their main bodies and suppress the vast majority of their power. The Watcher Prisons are for preventing situations like what happened with C'Thun, where he sprang up basically out of nowhere. It is difficult to combat an enemy that presents an unpredictable situation.. whereas Watcher Prisons keep a close eye on the Old Gods and prevent them from freely interacting (obviously, corruption being a large problem still).

So.. N'Zoth was never imprisoned in a WATCHER PRISON style, but he was still put into a magical slumber, and buried beneath Azeroth. The only reason he exists under an ocean is because of The Sundering. But his capital, his city, Ny'alotha, is probably within a large cavernous zone.

Think about what the Cataclysm was trying to accomplish. That spell would have fractured Azeroth, destroyed the World Pillar, causing massive devastation when that realm collided, particularly above the Maelstrom (which is above N'Zoth's domain). This would have destroyed his "tectonic prison", releasing his main body and allowing him to finally unleash his true powers. That was the entire purpose of the spell. Not to destroy Azeroth, but to free N'Zoth (and presumably the other Old Gods after or during, depending on the level of destruction we're talking about).

I think people on these forums vastly underestimate just how powerful and enormous the Old Gods really are, because what we've seen so far of them in-game has been tiny vestiges of power lying within Watcher Prisons. I really hope the Dark Below will put that to rest. It's time for a full Old God reveal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I like the idea of the 5th Old God but depending on which source you take the number of Old Gods can be 3, 4 or 5 (obviously 3 is incorrect now).

I think N'zoth is all but confirmed as the underwater God though, if a 5th exists I think it'll be under STV to Karazhan
    I'm pretty sure devs in cataclysm said Nzoth is the 5th old god near the maelstrom.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    I'm pretty sure devs in cataclysm said Nzoth is the 5th old god near the maelstrom.
    Source?

It seems weird that they'd call him the 5th Old God when only 3 others are known (C'thun, Yogg and Y-shaarj)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Source?

It seems weird that they'd call him the 5th Old God when only 3 others are known (C'thun, Yogg and Y-shaarj)
    At the time he was the third revealed old god.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I'm not even sure how we'd enter Ny'alotha without going insane.
    Who's to say we aren't already?
    As far as game lore goes, we've had mortal armies go in and slay the husk of C'thun and Yogg-Saron, all mortals that have previously come into contact with these figures have gone "insane". The entirety of MoP has been heavily focused around mortal armies (Horde or Alliance) learning to deal with the influences of Y'Shaarj and defeat his "last breaths", something not even the Shado-Pan in all of its millennia of existence could accomplish. Either for all intents and purposes the player characters are immovable objects of sanity and morals, or they're already insane, and insanity does make the best insulation to other forms of insanity. The members of the "mortal" armies show no qualm with being agents of genocide for a few pieces of silver or gold, carrying around tokens of their kill, constantly changes stances of who they will help or kill. They're completely tolerant of killing one another, even on same faction lines, and are almost compulsively drawn to circumstances that will most likely result in their death. That's in no means the recipe for heroism or valor, that's the recipe for a straight jacket and a padded room.

As towards the topic of the thread itself.
    I'm liking the idea that Ny'alotha is a city built around N'zoth, or at least a doorway to where N'zoth sleeps. The city could be in a chamber similar to the one the Aspects used to convene in prior to the Sundering, that may have fractured slightly in the Sundering, and opened completely in the Cataclysm. The black forest could refer to things like sulfur vents that we saw in Vash'jir or something like what we saw in the Emerald Nightmare (Stormrage book). I would also be both surprised and unsurprised at the same time if we were told that the Titans didn't create the Emerald Dream, but merely built upon it, and all of the layers within the dream actually exist as barriers to contain N'zoth. Also opening up the possibility that the Dragon Aspects weren't actually empowered to prevent the Hour of Twilight, because if that were the case it was a self-perpetuated disaster, but to be unknowing lookouts towards certain Old Gods or ways that they may try to release themselves.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Interesting. I would love to see a new city, Guess we'll find out at blizzcon.