Deleted

Streaming with 2 internet connections. Is this thing possible?

Hi all,

I want to start streaming myself playing Dota 2 and I want to achieve something technically which I'm not sure can be done, or not sure how. Some background:

I have two internet connections. My home broadband which is 1mbps/0.1mbps but is reliable with low ping, and a 3g connection which gives 10mbps/2mbps but sometimes drops for a second or two and has a higher less constant ping.

What I want to achieve is Dota 2 traffic running through my home broadband so that I can actually play with low ping and not get disconnected, and then streaming traffic and any other traffic running through my 3g connection. I know there are pieces of load balancing software but the way I understand they do not split traffic by application/port like I want. Is there any piece of software out there that can achieve this sort of thing (And preferably doesn't cost a bomb, and preferably isn't a nightmare to set up?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Hi all,

I want to start streaming myself playing Dota 2 and I want to achieve something technically which I'm not sure can be done, or not sure how. Some background:

I have two internet connections. My home broadband which is 1mbps/0.1mbps but is reliable with low ping, and a 3g connection which gives 10mbps/2mbps but sometimes drops for a second or two and has a higher less constant ping.

What I want to achieve is Dota 2 traffic running through my home broadband so that I can actually play with low ping and not get disconnected, and then streaming traffic and any other traffic running through my 3g connection. I know there are pieces of load balancing software but the way I understand they do not split traffic by application/port like I want. Is there any piece of software out there that can achieve this sort of thing (And preferably doesn't cost a bomb, and preferably isn't a nightmare to set up?)
    software? no, but enterprise firewalls are capable of this, you simply need to manually set the routing table

I can't even imagine streaming on a 3G connection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Applenazi View Post
    I can't even imagine streaming on a 3G connection.
    I know what you mean, it sounds like a stupid idea but it seems to be reliable enough for it in my testing. Just can't really play over the connection due to the higher ping.

Had a quick look at some stuff about routing tables. Would there be any way to use that to do this?

This might help, also see the link on the last reply
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...te-in-windows7
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    I know what you mean, it sounds like a stupid idea but it seems to be reliable enough for it in my testing. Just can't really play over the connection due to the higher ping.

Had a quick look at some stuff about routing tables. Would there be any way to use that to do this?
    yes, you need to do a bit of NATing,

lets call gaming traffic type 1, and stream traffic type 2:

you need to set rules like this:

set type2 src inif dst outif-2

what that means is that traffic relating to your streaming will be detected by the router and pushed out the second outside interface, meanwhile all other traffic will use the default route

a cheaper option than buying/building an enterprise firewall (and learning how to configure it) is to build a streaming box with a capture card and just give it the 3g connection

Deleted
    Why would you need a firewall and an enterprise level one at that when all you want to do is some routing?
    This isn't even about NAT either assuming that you have both interfaces on the same PC.

Adding a specific route for the streaming server should do the trick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Why would you need a firewall and an enterprise level one at that when all you want to do is some routing?
    because most consumer routers don't allow you to manually edit the routing table

This isn't even about NAT either assuming that you have both interfaces on the same PC.
    at a minimum you would need a 1:1 in order to force the UDP stream ports out the right interface (its not always going to point to the same server or even the same fqdn)

Adding a specific route for the streaming server should do the trick.
    to a point, but simply adding a route into windows starts to cause problems after restarts and interface changes, when it works it works well, but when a name changes or whatnot then you often end up have to reconfigure your routes (windows is stupid like that), a firewall with fail-over can get around this, ie, one time setup with no problems, and the setting work from any computer on the network

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    because most consumer routers don't allow you to manually edit the routing table
    As far as I can tell you don't need to configure any router here.
    The PC simply has 2 interfaces facing the outside world (and two routable IPs) - whether there's routers in between or not doesn't matter as long as they have their own path to the PC and the outside world.

at a minimum you would need a 1:1 in order to force the UDP stream ports out the right interface (its not always going to point to the same server or even
    the same fqdn)
    Not in this scenario: all packets headed for the streaming server will leave the PC on iface1->router1 (if present)->world_ip1->...->server and replies will be sent to world_ip1 and then reach the PC via iface1.
    All other traffic leave via iface2->router2( if present )-> world_ip2 ->...->world and take the reverse return path.

Sure you need to setup the routes properly for all involved streaming servers but I'm assuming here that he's streaming to a server (farm) with a known IP range and consumers will connect to those servers.

to a point, but simply adding a route into windows starts to cause problems after restarts and interface changes, when it works it works well, but when a name changes or whatnot then you often end up have to reconfigure your routes (windows is stupid like that), a firewall with fail-over can get around this, ie, one time setup with no problems, and the setting work from any computer on the network
    Why would stuff change if you simply restart.
    And even if it did: changing the routing table on a single PC even on a daily basis is way easier than configuring a complex firewall for all possible changes and then redo the whole thing because something changed you didn't think about the first time