Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Character selection more than just "race"

One thing I never understood about this game is why their isn't "clan" selection. My example is this

Orcs have many types of orcs, some of which are part of the horde. A good example of this is the MokNathal clan. They ARE part of the horde, and theyre stationed in blades edge mountains. It's been stated in lore, tehy are not half ogre, and are simply a way of life.

If i chose the orc race, why can't i chose a sub clan of Mok Nathal..... or Dragonmaw... wihch has a cosmetic difference. (the brown orc, the very light/yellow dragonmaw orc) etc.

I think this would really diversify the game in a sense that it makes the races seem more alive.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because the clans were already primarily decided. Trolls are darkspear. Orcs are Frostwolf. There's a reason for that.

Mok'nathal are not tainted by Mannoroth's blood. Your orc is not untainted. Nor is it deep chocolate brown.
    Dragonmaw were not part of the Horde and are black with tattoos.
    Just like Forsaken are all Lordaeron undead and Blood Elves are Sin'dorei and not Kal'dorei, etc.

I really hope sub-racing eventually makes its way into WoW.

Shouldn't be hard, just extrapolating upon Scenario technology, just to make instanced versions of areas you encounter those races in games, to use as starter zones ... just end them all (for example, Orcs) with a "visit Orgrimmar" quest at level 10 that jumps you back into normal leveling. EZ.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

mok'nathal arent part of the horde, they reject the horde. just because you can quest for them doesnt make them horde.

if rexxar cant even get them to accept him then how the hell are we supposed to
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Would be great but blizzard cannot balance it. They seem to want to have the same amount of options for every player everywhere because some people would cry if they only could chose "ugly gnome" and "normal gnome" while dwarfs could be wildhammer, darkiron, earthern... well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    If Blizzard were to do this, they would after the new models. It allows them to add extra details for races which are hard to distinguish by origin (Humans).

But the way I would implement them is as 'Pristine Races' which are groups of the same race encountered somewhere else and you unlock them as you encounter them. They would have their own narration after creation.

e.g. The Sons of Lothar in Outland would have more scars, more markings on their body that define their constant fight with demons. Your character would start out as 'A common soldier who returned to Elwynn to train'

I have yet to figure out how to do something like this for Blood Elves, Forsaken and Gnomes though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Because the clans were already primarily decided. Trolls are darkspear. Orcs are Frostwolf.
    urm, I'm pretty sure its not so simple as that, backtracking the lore, orcs in Thralls new horde can be anything from frostwolves to warsong, and maybe even a few non-affiliated orcs without a clan identity. How many orcs do we meet that don't ever tell us there identity
    #boycottchina

Making a troll look like a member of the Zandalari Tribe is probably a big -maybe- since the Zaldalari are our enemies now. Maybe some rebel Zandalari trolls that are against what the Zaldalari are doing.

But it would be cool if there were playable sub races. I'd play as a forest troll or a Dragonmaw orc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkuuzin View Post
    Making a troll look like a member of the Zandalari Tribe is probably a big -maybe- since the Zaldalari are our enemies now. Maybe some rebel Zandalari trolls that are against what the Zaldalari are doing.

But it would be cool if there were playable sub races. I'd play as a forest troll or a Dragonmaw orc.
    I'd sooner have some rebel amani trolls.

but we won't. Blizzard never designed a female amani troll, all troll females are all generic.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't you already make brown orcs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Can't you already make brown orcs?
    how long have you been away from wow again?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Because I make a new orc toon every day?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I make a new orc toon every day?
    *go to character creation - select orc - flick though*
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you can not be a douche about it and just answer the question yes/no. What's the lore on blue orcs?

I'd love to have the option for different "sub" races. Being able to pick a Wildhammer or Dark Iron Dwarf would be cool. It could define cosmetic things (like how Dark Irons have the different skin tones and the red eyes). It would be really cool if the different sub races had their own starting quests. For example, picking a Dark Iron could start you out in a different instanced version of BRD, doing quests until you hit a certain level where you go to Ironforge and join the rest of the Alliance.

It could be tricky for certain races though. For example....I'm not really sure how many different variations of Gnomes you could pick. Maybe Leper Gnomes, but that's reeeeally stretching it, seeing as how Leper Gnomes would probably fit in better with the Forsaken than they would with the overall Gnome population. That being said, for Gnomes to start off doing their initial quests in an instanced version of Gnomeregan when it first got irradiated (doing things like helping evacuate survivors, fight troggs, etc) would be really cool.

Same thing for Forsaken really. Forsaken pretty much just covers anyone who is undead and follows Sylvanas, so it'd be harder for sub races. It would be kind of cool if you could be an undead [insert race here] instead of being stuck with Undead Human.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-09-07 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you can not be a douche about it and just answer the question yes/no. What's the lore on blue orcs?
    .. those are draenei.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    .. those are draenei.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good good, that worked a charm.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Because the clans were already primarily decided. Trolls are darkspear. Orcs are Frostwolf. There's a reason for that.

Mok'nathal are not tainted by Mannoroth's blood. Your orc is not untainted. Nor is it deep chocolate brown.
    Dragonmaw were not part of the Horde and are black with tattoos.
    Just like Forsaken are all Lordaeron undead and Blood Elves are Sin'dorei and not Kal'dorei, etc.
    Wait... wait... forsaken are all Lordaeron undead? Forsaken should be about 50-50 high elfs and human wandering corpses....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    Wait... wait... forsaken are all Lordaeron undead? Forsaken should be about 50-50 high elfs and human wandering corpses....
    Not after 2 years of raising hundreds of humans every day.