Thread: NCAA football

This should be the end of any Clowney for Heisman talk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This should be the end of any Clowney for Heisman talk.
    well they proved last year they would rather vote for a freshman than a defensive player so it was never going to happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a tune-up game against UAB but once again the LSU offense looks fantastic. LSU with an offense should scare everyone.

Or as Clay Travis put it

LSU has an offense!

LSU. Has. An. Offense.

For those of us who have watched LSU cobble together punt return touchdowns and eight yard post-interception or fumble recovery touchdown drives, this is just stunning.

How good can LSU be this year if it actually has an offense? Really, really good. You know the John Chavis defense is going to get better and better all year. So will this offense.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    well they proved last year they would rather vote for a freshman than a defensive player so it was never going to happen
    Pretty much. In fairness Te'o had A LOT of holes in his game. The last defensive player to be taken seriously was the Honey Badger and even then he was only a consideration because he returned on special teams and was also always a threat to return turnovers for touchdowns. If you aren't scoring as a defender you can forget it. Suh was as dominant as one can be and he only made it to 4th place in the voting.
    Nominated Most Average Healer Ever
    My Shaman: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...omous/advanced
    My Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tamus/advanced
    Pokemon Y FC: 1736-1594-7603 // Name: Human?
    Ghost Safari: Shuppet, Phantump, Golurk

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    we will have to wait till the season is over to see how good GA really is.
    So how did your gamecocks do today?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    ROFL clemsux gives up 550 yards (222 on the ground) and 35 points
    Gamecocks gave up 538 yards (229 on the ground) and 41 points. Did I do it right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    So how did your gamecocks do today?
    Wouldn't celebrate too early. Cocks have to play Clemson still. Georgia has to play LSU. Both have to play Florida but not entirely sure they'll still be relevant. All Georgia has is a tiebreaker in the East vs the Cocks at the moment. And that isn't even mentioning tough unranked teams like Vandy sitting around just waiting to play spoiler.

I can't help but feel that if Rutgers won against Fresno last week, they'd be getting some votes. Suddenly, our inept offense has decided to put 40+ points a game through the first two and we have a top 5 in the country rusher right now.

Week 7 @ Louisville is the big one. We have Arkansas at Rutgers week 4 though and they might be ranked by then.

- - - Updated - - -

and, I'm sorry, but BYU smacking Texas is beyond hilarious to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Go Blue. That is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    The rush is on to be Mack Brown's realtor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hurricaines beating the Gators was funny to watch
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNK View Post
    Wouldn't celebrate too early. Cocks have to play Clemson still. Georgia has to play LSU. Both have to play Florida but not entirely sure they'll still be relevant. All Georgia has is a tiebreaker in the East vs the Cocks at the moment. And that isn't even mentioning tough unranked teams like Vandy sitting around just waiting to play spoiler.
    I'm just tired of hearing from gamecock and aggie fans this off-season. Kept hearing how Clowney was the best player ever constantly on ESPN. All because he made one unblocked tackle. Then gamecock fans basically thinking they should have been in the MNC with Alabama when the only thing they have ever done is beat their rival 4 years in a row. And living in Oklahoma I never hear the end of Manziel being the 2nd coming of Christ.

I really enjoyed the Michigan-ND game. Good game in and of itself, Gardner rocking the nine-eight was fantastic, and this was just downright hilarious:

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    My assessment of seeing him play out there is that he isn't a strong short passer. He can hit a screen pass, but he can't lead receivers on short routes. He has an above-average mid-long range arm, I'll give him that. That's what his offense needs in a QB.

Manziel has a stronger arm overall, but his accuracy was lesser on the long throws. He is a very, very good short passer though.
    I fear that after the VA game, I may need to revisit some thoughts on Mariota's short game passing. He had a great game, no doubt, but those missed short passes today were not good.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness Miami wasn't very impressive either. Was a hard game to watch. Florida reminds me of the last 2 years of LSU teams. Great defense. Pathetic offense. Abysmal QB play. The only difference being LSU could run the ball and did a better job of holding onto it. Florida looks like an 8-4 team at best.
    That and 5 turnovers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    That ND guy should have won it last year. I think the only thing Manziel demonstrated was that having never given it to a freshman prior to this past year was a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

That is hysterical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    I'm just tired of hearing from gamecock and aggie fans this off-season. Kept hearing how Clowney was the best player ever constantly on ESPN. All because he made one unblocked tackle. Then gamecock fans basically thinking they should have been in the MNC with Alabama when the only thing they have ever done is beat their rival 4 years in a row. And living in Oklahoma I never hear the end of Manziel being the 2nd coming of Christ.
    Yeah Clowneys major issue is that you can gameplan him out of games. This wasn't ever an issue last year but after hearing about how much of a monster he is for the past months most teams are just gonna push him out then chip him with a RB or push him in and have inside help. He'll never be unblocked again. He isn't as physically dominant as Suh was.

Manziel is the proof that you can win the Heisman based on one game if it is big enough. The voters just forgot that they got beat by both Florida and LSU last year. But the Alabama game was enough. All it takes is one big game. IF YOU ARE A QB!

This is why Mettenberger is my dark horse Heisman guy at the moment (HOMER ALERT). He plays big in the Alabama game and that is it. Slingshot to the trophy. Murray is by all accounts the better SEC QB. But without that marquee game late in the season it doesn't matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I really enjoyed the Michigan-ND game. Good game in and of itself, Gardner rocking the nine-eight was fantastic, and this was just downright hilarious:

Someone met up with Molly earlier that night.
    Last edited by TheFNK; 2013-09-08 at 04:34 AM.

USC....what a joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah looking like there will be two high profile job openings at some point this year or next. Texas and USC.

I hope Lane Kiffin ends up coaching peewee football. That's about his talent level.

- - - Updated - - -

@SportsCenter
    Jadeveon Clowney is frustrated with how he's being used in South Carolina's defense: "I told the coaches you got to put me somewhere else."
    It begins...

The fuck USA today poll? Who gave Rutgers a vote? You guys confuse me.

One reason Im starting to hate college football is ESPN and rankings. All they do is hype up teams and players and just set them up to fail. Remember Geno Smith and the QB for USC last year? They were giving those guys the Heisman 2 games into the season. I dont even know why they have rankings at all for the first half of the season. All it does is make you talk about the wrong things. Case in point...Are people talking about the fact Miami won or Florida lost? What if Florida ends up with 5 losses then was it really an upset? Or did Miami just beat a mediocre team at home? Just get rid of rankings. The NFL seems to be doing just fine without them. Also just get rid of the NCAA all they do is ruin college sports.

15+ Year Old Account
    The fuck USA today poll? Who gave Rutgers a vote? You guys confuse me.
    Is Rutgers getting one vote a bigger joke than MSU getting 74? Rutgers nearly beat Fresno and blew out their horrible opponent this weekend. Michigan State is 2-0. They have TWO offensive TDs this year against South Florida and Western Michigan. A week ago, South Florida gave up 53 points to a FCS steam. Michigan State managed to punch in a single rushing TD and a couple defensive scores. MSUs defense is excellent, their offense is absolutely abysmal. They have no business being a top 25 team.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Is Rutgers getting one vote a bigger joke than MSU getting 74? Rutgers nearly beat Fresno and blew out their horrible opponent this weekend. Michigan State is 2-0. They have TWO offensive TDs this year against South Florida and Western Michigan. A week ago, South Florida gave up 53 points to a FCS steam. Michigan State managed to punch in a single rushing TD and a couple defensive scores. MSUs defense is excellent, their offense is absolutely abysmal. They have no business being a top 25 team.
    rabble rabble rabble wins rabble rabble defensive rabble they didn't lose rabble rabble rabble.

Pretty sure that's how voting goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll save you some headache. Pretend college polls don't exist until Mid-October. A lot of it is just biased sportswriters/coaches trying to not lose faith in their preseason favorites going south.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll save you some headache. Pretend college polls don't exist until Mid-October. A lot of it is just biased sportswriters/coaches trying to not lose faith in their preseason favorites going south.
    But I especially don't want to pretend they exist when the BCS comes out.