Deleted

[Books] Psychology Reading

Hello all!
    I was thinking about getting into reading some psychology over the summer just as one of my personal interests and I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations for just starting into the topic? I have said to some people and they have recommended me books by Steven Pinker and the like which seem very interesting but I can't seem to figure out where to start.

50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do

Pretty much the gateway to all you may want to read up on about psychology in general.

I found Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow very entertaining.

wow i like psychology books very much

10+ Year Old Account
    "Ultimate Power" by Tony Robbins is my personal favorite. The book is just incredible - unlike many other psychological books, this one offers simple practical solutions for most problems. Though, it's not a "light" book, meaning you won't get that much if you just read it and close. You actually need to work over exercises he offers.
    Also "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns is quite perfect. Unlike Tony Robbins' books, this one offers less practical and more theoretical and philosophical approach to psychological issues. Basically, from this book you can understand where those issues come from, and from Robbins' book - how to solve them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beware of the new agey stuff, and Pop Psychology in general. There is an enormous grey area filled with self-help subjects that are often rife with quackery.

Freud and Jung are very inspiring, but keep in mind that if you're interested in actual practices, the older writings are more artistic and philosophical but less practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Beware of the new agey stuff, and Pop Psychology in general. There is an enormous grey area filled with self-help subjects that are often rife with quackery.

Freud and Jung are very inspiring, but keep in mind that if you're interested in actual practices, the older writings are more artistic and philosophical but less practical.
    Are you sure it's a psychology book rather than a philosophical one then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you mean magazine psychology, which is something like top 5 things to do x and y.. or do you mean psychology stuff how its taught at a university?

If you mean the latter, its probably a good idea to read a book about the different domains within psychology (like behavioral, cognitive, neuro, biological,social etc..). Once you know that you can specifiy your search and there will be plenty of books for you to start with. Most book usually start of with a (short) introduction to the domain anyway.

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Are you sure it's a psychology book rather than a philosophical one then?
    Psychology directly originates from Philosophy. There is a lot of gray area.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    If you mean the latter, its probably a good idea to read a book about the different domains within psychology (like behavioral, cognitive, neuro, biological,social etc..). Once you know that you can specifiy your search and there will be plenty of books for you to start with. Most book usually start of with a (short) introduction to the domain anyway.
    Excellent point. Focus on one school at a time if you are a novice.