Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Hellfire/Immo Aura 5.4 nerf????

Just read the latest patch notes:

Demonology
    Dark Soul: Knowledge now increases the effects of Mastery: Master Demonologist by an additional 30%.
    Hellfire's damage has been reduced by 20%.
    Immolation Aura's damage has been reduced by 20%.

Was this a known nerf?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, was it known that Demonic Gateway no longer temporarily drop threat?

Demonic Gateways are no longer attackable once more and no longer temporarily removes threat from the user. The debuff from using a Demonic Gateway has been increased to 60 seconds (up from 15 seconds).
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Gateway thing is not news...or shouldn't be. The demo aoe nerf did come as a bit of a shocker. Not sure if 10% to incinerate will save the spec...though I kind of doubt it.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    Gateway thing is not news...or shouldn't be. The demo aoe nerf did come as a bit of a shocker. Not sure if 10% to incinerate will save the spec...though I kind of doubt it.
    I don't think they understand ember generation is a problem -.-

Quote Originally Posted by I make people mad View Post
    I don't think they understand ember generation is a problem -.-
    Well, technically speaking it isn't a problem.

The problem is that each ember isn't worth enough to make up for the lower generation (which is how it was in T14.)

Only time it may be a problem is on AoE.

mage nerf, lock buffs plz

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    Just read the latest patch notes:

Demonology
    Dark Soul: Knowledge now increases the effects of Mastery: Master Demonologist by an additional 30%.
    Wait! That's good, right?

Does that mean that Dark Soul will now grant 23400 mastery instead of 18000? Making Demonology opener even crazier than it is now?

Playing demo you can easily skip KJC and tak two Dark Souls charges, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by mmocbb8df9eb23; 2013-09-10 at 06:47 AM.

Didn't Chaos Bolt also get a 15% boost? Not sure if that's taking into account the "always crits" nature of the spell - if not then it's actually more than 15%. Might increase the value of embers.

Though yeah, I remain concerned about ember generation rates and RoF. Just tell me I don't have to use RoF in a ST rotation, I don't even care if Destro's damage winds up sub-par I just hate that so much :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synteximus View Post
    Wait! That's good, right?

Does that mean that Dark Soul will now grant 23400 mastery instead of 18000? Making Demonology opener even crazier than it is now?

Playing demo you can easily skip KJC and tak two Dark Souls charges, what do you guys think?
    It's not a buff, they just changed the spell to give mastery percentage instead of rating. This only makes a difference if you use Bindings, because it was broken when it gave rating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by strmstrike View Post
    It's not a buff, they just changed the spell to give mastery percentage instead of rating. This only makes a difference if you use Bindings, because it was broken when it gave rating.

Oh, sadface then. Thanks for claryfing that,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Didn't Chaos Bolt also get a 15% boost? Not sure if that's taking into account the "always crits" nature of the spell - if not then it's actually more than 15%. Might increase the value of embers.

Though yeah, I remain concerned about ember generation rates and RoF. Just tell me I don't have to use RoF in a ST rotation, I don't even care if Destro's damage winds up sub-par I just hate that so much :P
    It does have a 15% buff, but it doesn't matter that it always crits... 200% damage to 230% damage is still a 15% increase.

Also it's not mentioned here, but the +10% Incinerate buff is also new AFAIK. Better than nothing surely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hellfire/Immolation nerf is news to me. Not sure why they'd do that, even if there's a problem with Mannoroth's Fury, surely the answer would be to give that a different coefficient for Demo, as baseline it's certainly no better than say Chain Lightning or Combustion (although I know the latter also got nerfed).

Quote Originally Posted by strmstrike View Post
    Also it's not mentioned here, but the +10% Incinerate buff is also new AFAIK. Better than nothing surely.
    I dont like it actually, destro aoe will be to good (it already was tbh, atleast sustained aoe) while singletarget is still suffering. But hey, buffs are buffs, i wont complain. I feel sad for the demo people out there though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apero View Post
    I dont like it actually, destro aoe will be to good (it already was tbh, atleast sustained aoe) while singletarget is still suffering. But hey, buffs are buffs, i wont complain. I feel sad for the demo people out there though.
    I thought for a moment maybe it was redefining Destro as the AoE spec, Demo as the cooldown spec... then remembered Aff was just good at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I thought for a moment maybe it was redefining Destro as the AoE spec, Demo as the cooldown spec... then remembered Aff was just good at everything.
    Aff - Low/Controlled AOE and Single Target spec
    Destro - Heavy AOE Spec
    Demo - Cool spec for walking around

Destro: I´m afraid about ember generation during AOE... I´m not sure if it will be sustainable!

About Demo... OMG!!! It´s my favourite spec... =(

But, as everyone talked, Aff will be better in many fights.

I didn´t play the PTR... I will see all specs today, before raid time.

Deleted
    Didn't see that demonology nerf coming, can't see why they'd do that.

So, affliction it is - seems it's going to be the superior spec for.. well, everything.

I don't understand why they would give us a tier 4 piece bonus that buffs AoE for Demo, and nerf normal AoE to (IMO) compensate for it now being too strong paired with MF.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda laughed when I saw this get added, I was expecting a quick nerf to affliction but when I saw them hit demo I was like http://bit.ly/13GqwkJ

SoC has always been a bit less user friendly than other aoe's due to the delay in detonation and backloaded damage of SB:SoC. The buff to demo aoe is RNG and really more of a cleave thing than AoE (MF doesn't buff shadowflame/hog/chaoswave radius anymore). Demo had most of its aoe in immo aura/hellfire wheras destro loses about half due to F&B spells not working with MF. Yeah ele is crazy and CL has been a "carrying" spell in pve for a tier now. Just too many logs of demo locks stacking CD's plus MF for aoe burst. For the avg joe who just aoe's its going to feel harsh. For the top 50 guild player its going to be balanced around that CD stacking demo playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Werst View Post
    SoC has always been a bit less user friendly than other aoe's due to the delay in detonation and backloaded damage of SB:SoC. The buff to demo aoe is RNG and really more of a cleave thing than AoE (MF doesn't buff shadowflame/hog/chaoswave radius anymore). Demo had most of its aoe in immo aura/hellfire wheras destro loses about half due to F&B spells not working with MF. Yeah ele is crazy and CL has been a "carrying" spell in pve for a tier now. Just too many logs of demo locks stacking CD's plus MF for aoe burst. For the avg joe who just aoe's its going to feel harsh. For the top 50 guild player its going to be balanced around that CD stacking demo playstyle.
    The problem is that during progress, the backloaded damage from Affliction isn't actually much of a handicap; indeed the front loaded damage from Demo becomes one as you run out of Fury/cooldowns making the AE harder to sustain. The point at which the roles reverse and burst AE becomes more potent (at least on logs), you're past the the point where it really matters.