Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shaohao's reputation: A throwback to Vanilla-style grinding?

For anyone that's done the emporer's dailies, they'll have noticed they don't award reputation. When killing a Yaungol "one shot you and someone else who was just riding by" elite, you recieve a microscopic 18 reputation. Did Burning Crusade have any reputations that required killing elite enemies outside of a dungeon for dozens of hours at a time, or is this truly a very classical approach to gating?

I think it's kind of a nod to classic - keep in mind, this patch is going to last for damn near a year, something's gotta be grindy in it lol. I do think it's fun tho, if you got gear, or numbers, almost everything is very easy - this stuff can definitely kill you if you get lazy though.

Doesn't sound as bad as in Vanilla. Vanilla required you to farm items from mobs, each item having about a 50% drop chance, sample 20 of them and you got 200 reputation. That's how it was for Cenarion Circle at least, and I'm pretty sure there was something similar with those Dark Iron guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I think it's kind of a nod to classic - keep in mind, this patch is going to last for damn near a year
    There's no reason there won't be a 5.5. They've been pretty consistent about "raid - story - raid - story - raid" and they promised "more patches at a faster rate" so ending on 4 and just stopping there would be a sign of contradictory beavhior. Which is something they usually reserve for class discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfKnees View Post
    Doesn't sound as bad as in Vanilla. Vanilla required you to farm items from mobs, each item having about a 50% drop chance, sample 20 of them and you got 200 reputation. That's how it was for Cenarion Circle at least, and I'm pretty sure there was something similar with those Dark Iron guys.
    Probably meant to be more like Hydraxian Waterlords where you got a very small amount of rep (5-15) just for killing things. Although you would also get larger chunks of rep for defeating bosses in Molten Core so it wasn't just from mindless grinding.

Does the raid give rep for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Probably meant to be more like Hydraxian Waterlords where you got a very small amount of rep (5-15) just for killing things. Although you would also get larger chunks of rep for defeating bosses in Molten Core so it wasn't just from mindless grinding.
    I'm actually honored with the Hydraxian Waterlords from all the MC runs I did since the pets were added.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I'm actually honored with the Hydraxian Waterlords from all the MC runs I did since the pets were added.
    Congrats! You have roughly 25 more full clears to go to get exalted!

And no, I'm not joking!
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

One reputation turn-in for Thorium Brotherhood would cost over 500g if you bought it on the AH. For 250 reputation. Oh, and back then most players didn't have more than 100g in liquid currency.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    Congrats! You have roughly 25 more full clears to go to get exalted!

And no, I'm not joking!
    Sweet! Lightning fast, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyraena View Post
    Does the raid give rep for this?
    Nope, only from the Ordon guys on Timeless Isle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Trying to find 1 alive mob on Kazzak is the hardest part of it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    For anyone that's done the emporer's dailies, they'll have noticed they don't award reputation. When killing a Yaungol "one shot you and someone else who was just riding by" elite, you recieve a microscopic 18 reputation. Did Burning Crusade have any reputations that required killing elite enemies outside of a dungeon for dozens of hours at a time, or is this truly a very classical approach to gating?
    Actually before the first bridge the non elite are 5 rep the elite are 10.

And if you can find a group, the super-elite mobs up at the Ordon Sactum place that do 1 billion damage are 22 rep a piece. That's nice at least, if you can handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Exerus View Post
    Actually before the first bridge the non elite are 5 rep the elite are 10.
    Must be the guild + human bonus, somehow.

Like everything else, these mobs are actually quite easy if you can control a small section of the area you're farming in. Rather, i have more difficulty dealing with groups who have no idea how the charge mechanics work then I do with my own group, and we frequently pull 3-4 mobs together. Its all about staying in melee range and moving out of the mechanics. We actually made it to the middle of honored last night as a group of 4 people. The only thing i have to say in terms of difficulty is that the mechanics tend to bug out a bit with all the lag (moving out of cleaves etc and still getting hit because of server side lag).

That being said, this definately feels like a old style vanilla rep farm. The only regret i have about the timelss isle is if you aren't farming rep or coins in a group and have an area on lockdown you are literally wasting your time because their really isn't much else to do on the island.
    Amazing Signature by Yoni

Deleted
    50%? Try more like 10%, with the mobs taking ages to kill compared to now and forever to respawn. And it stopped at Honored, after which you had to do AQ20 to get more rep. Yeah, that was a fairly difficult faction to max. Still, the idea was you weren't expected to max everything back then, since it was almost impossible to.

There's no reason there won't be a 5.5. They've been pretty consistent about "raid - story - raid - story - raid" and they promised "more patches at a faster rate" so ending on 4 and just stopping there would be a sign of contradictory beavhior. Which is something they usually reserve for class discussion.

There may be, but based off 5.3, I'm not quite sure it will be a huge amount of content. Them adding in something that could potentially be a long grind probably isn't too bad of an idea here.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    There may be, but based off 5.3, I'm not quite sure it will be a huge amount of content. Them adding in something that could potentially be a long grind probably isn't too bad of an idea here.
    If they want to keep their word, it's very likely 5.5 will be a story patch guiding you into the next expansion. Ala Ruby Sanctum but without the raid.

I did a lot of the Vanilla grinds when they were relevant. Cenarion Circle, Timbermaw, Argent Dawn, Hydraxian, etc. Shaohao, from what I could tell last night, is worse than most of them. The reputation gains per mob are about similar, but the time to kill each mob is astronomically higher, and the respawn rates are lower.

Honestly the Bone-White Primal Raptor grind was closer to Vanilla's. Shaohao makes that one look like Tranquilien by comparison.