Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Did I ruin my life?

So I lived in a college apartment with a few roommates, one of them constantly stole from me, and sold my stuff. I would always tell the apartment managers but they would never move him out or help me, he was always rude to me and any guest I would have.

So on the day I moved out, I spray painted his guitar. This lead to him filling out a police report and I eventually admitted to the act. While being questioned during the investigation. They sent me home and said "We will contact the victim and ask if he wishes to press charges"

I later talked to the victim and offered to pay for the guitar if he chose not to press charges, he signed something saying he can not legally re-open the case. And on some sort of writing that has yet to be made clear to me, I am going to pay him $800.

My question is....did I just ruin my life? Will I ever be able to get an IT job? Will I have a record even though he is not pressing charges? Should I just give up schooling? I am in a very mentally un-safe place atm and im scared for my future, any advice or information would be helpful. Thank you.

Deleted
    And why the hell didn't you call the cops on his ass for stealing before doing something stupid like spray painting his guitar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    So I lived in a college apartment with a few roommates, one of them constantly stole from me, and sold my stuff. I would always tell the apartment managers but they would never move him out or help me, he was always rude to me and any guest I would have.

So on the day I moved out, I spray painted his guitar. This lead to him filling out a police report and I eventually admitted to the act. While being questioned during the investigation. They sent me home and said "We will contact the victim and ask if he wishes to press charges"

I later talked to the victim and offered to pay for the guitar if he chose not to press charges, he signed something saying he can not legally re-open the case. And on some sort of writing that has yet to be made clear to me, I am going to pay him $800.

My question is....did I just ruin my life? Will I ever be able to get an IT job? Will I have a record even though he is not pressing charges? Should I just give up schooling? I am in a very mentally un-safe place atm and im scared for my future, any advice or information would be helpful. Thank you.
    I assure you that you will be fine. I've done worse and have a very steady job in IT.

Deleted
    Short answer - No you didnt ruin your life.
    Long answer - Hes dropped charges, you have no record against you. Even if you did you could simply chalk it up to "A Drunken college prank that got out of hand" if it ever came up.

Deleted
    Chill winston.
    Everythings fine, you probably shouldn't have fucked up his guitar (or admitted to it at least). Pay that dickhead, get on with your life. Don't worry.

If spraypainting a dudes guitar is your only regret in life, I say you're in a place of bliss.

If he doesn not press charges, you won't have a criminal record, as far as I know. And even if he did press charges it would be a misdemeanour at most. I'm not familiar with the laws of your country, but where I live such small acts are erased off your record after a certain period of time.

When I was 15 I was charged and found guilty of proporty damage. I faced a court and was sentenced to pay a fine. I had a criminal record for 3 years, then it was erased.

I think you'll be fine

On the other hand, if you let people walk over you and disrespect you like it sounds like he does, you might have troubles in other areas of your life, albeit not your IT job
    Last edited by pucGG; 2013-09-12 at 11:18 PM.

If anything you learned a valuable lesson. When someone commits a crime against you, call the cops.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    I'm sure you did not, as one who feels his world is falling apart let tell you that you could have had worse things happen. This is probably one of those experiences that you'll laugh off in some years. If you are not feeling well, I suggest you seek advice or help from someone qualified like an adviser in your college or a psychologist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got sued. Life Over!

Seriously, it's not a big deal at all.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You should've just gone to the police immediately after proof of his thievery and kicked him out of the apartment.
    Being immature puts you on his level.

Of course not. We all make mistakes, many much worse than you spray painting a guitar. That said, hopefully you learned a lesson and can move on from it.

Another question, he dropped the charges, but could the state pick it up regardless?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    Another question, he dropped the charges, but could the state pick it up regardless?
    No, its not like assault or owt. Or public property damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    You'll have an arrest record. Not a criminal record. Most employers only ask if you have been convicted of a crime. As you aren't and won't be, you'll never have to worry about it. The only time it may come up is if you attempt to get a government security clearance. The arrest record will have to be reported (or else they'll see it when they run the report) and in this case, it's nothing that would prohibit you from a clearance as that act isn't comparable enough to compare to an arrest from a Domestic Violence or DUI.
    I dont think I was arrested, simply talked to some case worker person (He said it was of my own free will), who was questioning me, I told them I did it, and was sent home to await them to ask if he wanted to press charges.
    Last edited by Babzu; 2013-09-12 at 11:28 PM.

Deleted
    you didn't ruined your life at all.
    you just went too easy on him, hoping you wont have to face same problems again, be more creative and smart and make him really pay for his attitude, lowering to his level wont make you a better person but the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment is priceless.

WOT .. you're fine bro, state wont waste their time on this.

next time call the cops or go higher than the apartment people and get rooms changed or kick his ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your good, no charges were brought towards you, you wont have a record. Just remember in the future, when someone wrongs you, get back legally, not spitefully.

You'll sleep better at night.

Remember this, HE may drop the charges but the state may not. You're already giving cash to him so the state is going to want it's share.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    And why the hell didn't you call the cops on his ass for stealing before doing something stupid like spray painting his guitar ?
    because then he would be tattling...

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    Remember this, HE may drop the charges but the state may not. You're already giving cash to him so the state is going to want it's share.
    Someone said previously the state cant bring up charges on something like this? Is this not true?