Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBGamer View Post
    That was not the point of my post at all, that is in the past and doesn't matter, my point was to say I feel that the people crying about the Timeless isle, which has that nice hardcore feel to it and a nice casual feel to it, are simply nitpicking or complaining for the sake of complaining.
    I know, I was just picking you up on an incorrect part of your post

I enjoy Timeless Isle but you seem to be acting like the community is a hive mind, some hate spending tons of time to get good gear, some hate people being able to walk into epics or gear that they worked harder for.

People have different opinions and different people will always whine, it's not exactly new.

I only accomplish things once, and that's on my main. Your attitude is just silly to me. All my alts were 480+ before SoO, and no...I didn't feel I "accomplished" anything with them. Gear is not an accomplishment, it's a tool.

I find it more annoying how the isle is unplayable due to lag. They SHOULD have seen this coming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post

You can craft epics with common materials. There has been no intrinsic sense of accomplishment in getting them *because they're purple* for years. Epics are the new blues. Rose tinted goggles need to come off. Get a legendary if the colour of text means that much to you. I prefer my character's performance being impacted positively over what typeface gets used in my tooltips.
    I disagree, until last patch crafting epics required mildly expensive materials. And as I said, this situation has been going on for years, it just so happened that right now we have a pretty extravagant example in front of us and I assume that's why the OP (and me) decided to make a post about it. I got a legendary and 1 hour spend in a lag-fest to kill the celestials and farm chests to get enough coins didn't feel very epic either (not to mention at least 50 people completing their quest the same time as me).

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I love the free epics completing a set in 10 mins gives me a bigger buzz than spending an hour grinding for a trincket.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I know, I was just picking you up on an incorrect part of your post

I enjoy Timeless Isle but you seem to be acting like the community is a hive mind, some hate spending tons of time to get good gear, some hate people being able to walk into epics or gear that they worked harder for.

People have different opinions and different people will always whine, it's not exactly new.
    Fair enough, on both accounts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by finskee View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Plenty of people had purps in vanilla. Purple is just a color. Unless I'm mistaken there are no 496 blues. That is how gear progression works in wow for a long time now. Getting people into raids is the important part. Allowing people to catch up is far more important. Getting a purple is not anything. Getting a heroic thunderforged is still exciting. Do you have any?
    I objectively doubt that the same percentage had epics in vanilla than right now. And you wouldn't certainly see the whole town of Stormwind (or other faction capitals I think they weren't completely deserted at that point ) decked in full epics that they collected with a few hours work.

And that's my main problem with that strategy, how are you going to get more people into raids if you hand them out the rewards (read: purples) before they even step foot in a real raid (read: certainly not LFR). Sure some people will do it for the challenge and some people will do it for the ilvl, but simply having a higher number on your gear isn't nearly as exciting as a different color. And I consider myself as a fairly objective and logical person who is capable of recognizing an item for its true value (i.e. the effort behind it) and not its color and I'm still disappointed.

Sure, higher ilvls are epics and it's been like that for years now, but it doesn't have to be like that. Purple can also denote rarity in addition to power level. AFAIK there were/are quite a few epics that didn't require level 60 to equip and got their epic tag because of their rarity (in addition their cool proc/decent stats/etc.). IMO if you can farm complete gearset in a few hours it doesn't even deserve to be called "rare" and certainly doesn't deserve to be called epic.

Quote Originally Posted by honj90 View Post
    And that's my main problem with that strategy, how are you going to get more people into raids if you hand them out the rewards (read: purples)
    Found your mistake.

Who cares how fast you gear an alt in 496's? lol, do you think you've "earned" something by doing LFR to get it? Jesus, people will complain about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOluck View Post
    Blizzard has reached an all time low with this "catch up" mechanic. Some people may like the fact that you can get 10-20 "epics" an hour on the timeless isle and gear your alts but really do you feel like you earned anything? Do you have any sense of accomplishment?

The timeless isle feels more like fast food than actual content. Sure it filled that hunger to gear your characters but after you're done the process in as little as an hour or 2 whats next for you? Obviously you're not going to pursue normal modes you missed out on with your alts, no... you need the gear now to get into the next LFR.....

So by all means run around the little island( that looks like it was made in an afternoon at Blizzard HQ with some editor) and get your "epics" that should be coloured grey/green considering they are rediculasly common (dont believe me? check out the price of sha crystals on your server)

anyway the Isle will get boring fast when people realize fast food content isn't good for the game.

Quality over quantity.
    Who gets any sense of accomplishment from wow at all full stop , its a game ffs it is meant to be fun not some ego boost lol. That is why you are cranky you are playing it wrong in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I objectively doubt that the same percentage had epics in vanilla than right now. And you wouldn't certainly see the whole town of Stormwind (or other faction capitals I think they weren't completely deserted at that point ) decked in full epics that they collected with a few hours work.
    Considering that catchup mechs didn't get into wow until BC you are probably right. But I feel like you and many others will ignore that the most popular raid in vanilla was ZF and in BC was Kara. If you didn't have Kara on farm when sunwell came out then you were doing BC completely wrong. Think about it this way... it has always been harder IN THE BEGINNING to get purps in an expansion than at the end. And that is true for vanilla as well. The catch-up mechanism back then was called a carry. The design was flawed and led to much elitism. That is why BC had welfare epics, pattern drops, etc.

When I decided to switch from warrior to shaman at the end of BC I had my guildies craft me an almost full set of purps using recipes they got in raids like SSC and TK. CRAFT. Took like 3 hours. And that set was pretty decent, compared to the 496 items on the new island. For weapons I did bgs... and those were nice weapons for the tier we were in. The only reason to run mag/gruul's was for fun. Sunwell dropped even more patterns. People farmed the trash for those, which is not much different than farming the island really.

And in a short time (6 months?) we'll all be in greens again. Not something to get your panties bunched over. If they were giving out Best in Slots left and right then we'd have a valid thread. Remember in WOTLK at the very beginning of the expansion 2 days in, everyone was running around with purple shields and weapons made by Blacksmiths. REMEMBER THAT?
    Last edited by finskee; 2013-09-13 at 01:25 AM.

Yet again it all spoils down to the simple fact that gear is nothing but meter for time consumption. Even in the old days of vanilla, there propably wasn't that many epics equipped, and one thing why there also weren't 10 million players back then, but they were still a mere meter of time consumption, not skill, luck, or anything else.

Bosses use same mechanics as they did back then, well renovating some, but still things we've seen many times, things hit us and we hit back, nothing new in that side. In vanilla days the restriction might have been the social network, did you have the amount of friends or guild to raid, 40 man raids were pain to organise, of course partly cause people were not geared enough, same problem still persists today, you ain't going to world top 100 guild with lfr equipped and expect to go for world firsts.. After that and before that all you needed was time to farm gear for raiding and then actually raiding.

Difference is that raiding wasn't the only end game content back then or at least it wasn't the main end game for many players as it is now. Everything is measured with ilvl or item color, yet they are only numbers and colors, measuring nothing but epeen.

The colors make us blind, what if from the very beginning the game only had one color items and no item levels, would we still be measuring ourselves here like we do now, based on the gear we wear. I ain't no saint on this matter, I do remember the days in Icecrown Citadel when i was among the first to wear the best on the server, oh the epeen at that time, now i'm in lfr purples worrying if i get my transmog done next week or week after that, caring zero how many stats my gear has. "Raiding" content that's nearly 10 years old.

Much much more stressless than during ICC, enjoying my gametime, well mostly..
    Last edited by Redecle; 2013-09-13 at 01:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by finskee View Post
    Considering that catchup mechs didn't get into wow until BC you are probably right. But I feel like you and many others will ignore that the most popular raid in vanilla was ZF and in BC was Kara. If you didn't have Kara on farm when sunwell came out then you were doing BC completely wrong. Think about it this way... it has always been harder IN THE BEGINNING to get purps in an expansion than at the end.

And in a short time (6 months?) we'll all be in greens again. Not something to get your panties bunched over. If they were giving out Best in Slots left and right then we'd have a valid thread.
    That is the first comment in the thread (well, second) that makes some sense and that I can relate too. Still, clearing an instance, even not an extremely hard one requires an amount of coordination, preperation, team effort (and some time of wiping unless you get boosted by your guild/friends). Now it's literally download an addon, copy-paste a set of coordinates et voila you've got your full epic gear. As I said, I'm fine with the catch-up, what I dislike is the fact epics are so common there is absolutely no sense of accomplishment from obtaining one. Sure, thunderforged items are nice, but they're completely RNG and not skill dependant (+as I said, getting a new tag on your gear isn't as exciting)

EDIT: I mean, what's the point of having 3 different gear categories (uncommon, rare, epic) if at max level you're using only one? Simply making it that 5mans reward uncommons, catch-up mechanics/other sources of gear (with the exception maybe of valor because of its cap) reward rares and actual raids reward epics would go a long way to give a better sense of progression in my opinioin.
    Last edited by mmoc0d1056ec69; 2013-09-13 at 01:14 AM.

Blizzard has reached an all time low with this "catch up" mechanic. Some people may like the fact that you can get 10-20 "epics" an hour on the timeless isle and gear your alts but really do you feel like you earned anything? Do you have any sense of accomplishment?

The timeless isle feels more like fast food than actual content. Sure it filled that hunger to gear your characters but after you're done the process in as little as an hour or 2 whats next for you? Obviously you're not going to pursue normal modes you missed out on with your alts, no... you need the gear now to get into the next LFR.....

So by all means run around the little island( that looks like it was made in an afternoon at Blizzard HQ with some editor) and get your "epics" that should be coloured grey/green considering they are rediculasly common (dont believe me? check out the price of sha crystals on your server)

anyway the Isle will get boring fast when people realize fast food content isn't good for the game.

Quality over quantity.
    What accomplishment does someone get from spending days/weeks/months running old content to get outdated gear, just so they can finally do current content? If they were handing out current ilvl epics, I would be agreeing with you, but the crap that drops on Timeless Island is really only good for alts, people just starting, or SUPER casual players.

The earning of accomplishment and gear comes with the current content. They'll have to work at that in some form, but why you feel the need to complain that alts/new people/super casuals can get lower ilvl gear so they can actually try current content before its almost not current, is narrow-minded and ignorant.

As for the quality of content, well, I guess different strokes for different folks. I find a good old fashion grind, mixed with treasure chests, rares, and a few other things a nice change from regular dailies. Will it stay fun for long? No. But I haven't seen content in any game that was re-playable indefinitely, so I'm not sure what you are looking for. Although, the ease with which you can gear up a 90 makes me want to level up some alts, so I'll have a lot of replay factor in that way, and so will a LOT of other players. Maybe not you, sorry.

Deleted
    i like timeless isle reminds me of the mass WPVP days from isle of quel danas back in BC

Uh oh, yet another one of these threads.

Poor horse.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    i like timeless isle reminds me of the mass WPVP days from isle of quel danas back in BC
    Lol you should go on my realm Mal'ganis people hunt there own faction here in Packs like a wolf pack haha It's entertaining

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Uh oh, yet another one of these threads.

Poor horse.
    Indeed that horse has been beat to mere bones by now

I love the timeless isle, I can gank people all I want, not get mad if I get killed myself, and gear up negelcted alts. Saying that we need to get our gear through raids and not from the isle is like saying we have to not replace our gear when questing when the new expansion comes out. Like really? Just chill, you're getting something fun to do, beggars can't be choosers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still, clearing an instance, even not an extremely hard one requires an amount of coordination, preperation, team effort (and some time of wiping unless you get boosted by your guild/friends).
    If you reread my post that you quoted I added that you could craft purples in BC from TK, SSC, Sunwell, etc that were all better than Kara/mag's gruuls gear, and that getting carried was also a valid way to get good gear. The only time you needed coordination, prep, etc was at the beginning of the expansion, not at the end. You simply can't compare the beginning of BC to the end of mists unless you are willing to compare the beginning of mists to the end of mists.

I really don't see the problem with 496 gear being easily available at the Timeless Isle, I think it's a nice way of gearing up alts. The tier 16 (and even T15 normal) gear is so much better that it doesn't matter if "nubs" get their hands on 496 items.

Quality over quantity.
    Just stop playing now, and shut the hell up.

I don't feel the need to "earn" anything in this video game that I PAY for. Blizzard has earned my money by giving me something to do.

Now, as I started saying about, if you don't like it, don't play it. Go play another game. Go cry in a corner. But stop bitching like a little girl who didn't get the right color car from her parents on her 16th birthday.

INB4 "you mad bro"
    Last edited by Sabtheshaman; 2013-09-13 at 01:56 AM. Reason: I R MAD