Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is demo the lowest dps spec for locks?

From what I can tell, the rankings go Destro>Demo (with lei shen trinket)>Affliction with destro being the wors/t spec unless the fights heavily play to its advantage. However, my gm thinks that demo is the worst spec. Now, his lock is his main. I however, do have 9/9Gold CM on my warlock as well as green fire, so I know a few things about locks and disagree with him. What is the current ranking for lock specs?

He also is going heavily crit based in destro, something I heard is worse then heavy mastery destro. How is crit going to work for him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Aff>Demo>Destro.. Destro is the worst spec ATM

Crit as destro [as far as I can tell] affects ember generation and chaos bolt dmg. So In theory with more crit he'd have more ember uptime and a more dmging chaos bolt. That's it.
    BTW destro is only worst right now because SoO require A LOT of movement and I almost never have time to stop and cast Chaos Bolt thus hurting ur dps quite a bit.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I gathered so far.

EDIT: Grammar

Deleted
    Demo on certain fights like 2nd, 4th, 5th boss is AWESOME. MF,+ UVLS procs, will bring you to the top of the charts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor_Azut View Post
    Aff>Demo>Destro.. Destro is the worst spec ATM

Crit as destro [as far as I can tell] affects ember generation and chaos bolt dmg. So In theory with more crit he'd have more ember uptime and a more dmging chaos bolt. That's it.
    BTW destro is only worst right now because SoO require A LOT of movement and I almost never have time to stop and cast Chaos Bolt thus hurting ur dps quite a bit.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I gathered so far.

EDIT: Grammar
    You say this, but I keep seeing destro locks topping the charts. Myself included.

It highly depends on gear, but demo isn't lowest never ever(this xpack). if its not top with some certain gear/stat its 2nd.
    green is the color!

the dps depends on your gear and the playstyle of your guild killing bosses....i killed 11 out of 12 bosses as demo and i did very, very well!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Destro is fucking terrible well not terrible terrible I haven't seen much research since the buffs on it but lower then the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezing View Post
    You say this, but I keep seeing destro locks topping the charts. Myself included.
    Topping whose charts?

so your gm is running a crit build destro and saying that demo is the lowest, i mean you let this guy lead you in anything?

Worst out of 3 specs. Not "Worst, so you can't do good dps with it". So many factors come into charts that it isn't even worth mentioning them. So if you have a perfectly optimized and perfectly played lock on all 3 specs, destro will be the last.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Being the biggest fish in a small pond is not a great way of measuring the ocean
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

i tried Destro+MF in Sha of Pride i was top dps with 290k. It's also very useful in Spoils.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Worst out of 3 specs. Not "Worst, so you can't do good dps with it". So many factors come into charts that it isn't even worth mentioning them. So if you have a perfectly optimized and perfectly played lock on all 3 specs, destro will be the last.
    This is of course nitpicking, and may not be relevant, but I honestly think that if you tailor tactics to suit destructions strengths, and then the same for affli and demo, Destruction will see better results than Demo at least. Concider stuff like havocing 6 shadowburns onto the boss every minute, everything you can do to boost Destruction. I would disregard this as an impossible scenario, if not for how most 10m guilds play. This would be a lot harder to pull of in 25s, but I do think this is a big part of why Destruction is so underrated at the moment - people don't seize the opportunities.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

10+ Year Old Account
    I only killed a couple of bosses last night as I've been away for a week, I didn't have my cloak yet and I was pretty unprepared for what I did do, but I certainly didn't feel like I was underperforming relative to our other 3 locks in raid playing the other specs who did have it. I'd say I was competitive, in spite of playing like shit

Deleted
    Depends on boss.

Destro is said to be lovely on spoils, and on Sha of Pride. On Sha i reckon its mostly padding on the adds, as they die super fast anyways

Demo is currently awesome on pultitarget long lived ads (PAragons for example). I was wiping on it yesterday, and increased like 50k DPS going demo (small amount of padding through Shadowflame i can't stop, but hey, more DF.

Affliction is really nice single target fights. I think theres some mechanics we need to work out that would make it incredibly strong on multi target fights though, like UVLS and soulswapping.... forever. And things like Seed AoE through soulswap.
    (I reckon soulswap is going to be the way to cheese this patch, GG blizz on the changes to it).

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    Depends on boss.

Destro is said to be lovely on spoils, and on Sha of Pride. On Sha i reckon its mostly padding on the adds, as they die super fast anyways

Demo is currently awesome on pultitarget long lived ads (PAragons for example). I was wiping on it yesterday, and increased like 50k DPS going demo (small amount of padding through Shadowflame i can't stop, but hey, more DF.

Affliction is really nice single target fights. I think theres some mechanics we need to work out that would make it incredibly strong on multi target fights though, like UVLS and soulswapping.... forever. And things like Seed AoE through soulswap.
    (I reckon soulswap is going to be the way to cheese this patch, GG blizz on the changes to it).
    Going to go off topic for one second. If it needs to die, it's not padding. Sure the overkill damage is a bit inflated, but if it's Havoc'd onto the boss I see no real issue.

Back on topic, no Demo is not the worst spec. It's got great single target damage and incredibly potent AoE, especially with the new MF.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    Going to go off topic for one second. If it needs to die, it's not padding. Sure the overkill damage is a bit inflated, but if it's Havoc'd onto the boss I see no real issue.

Back on topic, no Demo is not the worst spec. It's got great single target damage and incredibly potent AoE, especially with the new MF.
    But there are classes tha can do this job 10x better than us, no overkill etc. Destro aoe is nice on long lived adds, on short ones, yeah you re just rod + sniping shadowburns... And as others mentionned in this thread, sniping on normal 25 with a decent group is v hard.
    With that in mind, you could just go another spec, do more boss dmg, and leave the adds to shammies, priests etc

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    But there are classes tha can do this job 10x better than us, no overkill etc. Destro aoe is nice on long lived adds, on short ones, yeah you re just rod + sniping shadowburns... And as others mentionned in this thread, sniping on normal 25 with a decent group is v hard.
    With that in mind, you could just go another spec, do more boss dmg, and leave the adds to shammies, priests etc
    Or you could let the Destro lock generate tons of Embers on adds while the shammies and priests don't switch and do more boss damage.

There's two sides to every coin, and I'd feel pretty comfortable in saying that a Destro lock will get more out of Shadowburning adds for more boss damage than any other spec can.

I think this expansion has been great for balancing specs of most classes. And as long as your not someone in one of the top 10 world guilds, who does everything exactly perfect, never screws up and is itemized exactly perfectly, then it doesn't matter what spec you play as you can pull solid numbers in any spec. I've realized that quite a bit when it comes to choosing races. I was so frustrated that Troll/Orcs get such a good bonus that I couldn't play something other than a troll or Orc, then I realized, that TBH that small tiny little bit, is not going to make that big of a difference unless your a top 5% player. Play what you want, the specs are balanced quite well. You will be happier, and probably play the class better, thus making your dps numbers higher.

That's nice but it's still aff > demo > destro. I saw a MM hunter top LFR charts must mean MM is deh best.