Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

WHM's, please read!

I'm posting this hoping that it will be read, and hopefully will improve the outlook on WHM's in the game overall.
    I have heard and seen some utterly amazing things come outta chat from other WHM's, that just do not do anything but hurt the view of a great healer job.

There should be almost no need to need Ballad 1-2 minutes into a fight, and here is how.
    Regen is a great primary heal, it's a HoT, so it's easy on tanks to hold enmity, it also lets those little melee swings against a tank be essentially ignored, all the while, healing more efficiently over time than cure bombing.
    If a tank drops below about 600 or so hp below max, then just use cure 1. Try to save cure 2 for clutch and/or freecure procs.
    While neither Medica is not something to spam, Medica 2 can be used after a party-wide attack to fire and forget, since it adds a regen effect on everyone it hits. If everyone is in clutch (right after hard-more Titan heart phase for example) you can follow up with a quick Medica 1 to give breathing room again.
    Cure 3, while being great in concept, I have found to be less useful than Medica 2 even, except as a clutch heal -only- when one has an Overcure proc.
    Shroud of Saints is our friend. It's a great, fairly short CD enmity dump/refresh. Watch enmity gauges, please, and use shroud if you're at orange or full enmity. If you're low mp, use shroud before screaming for Ballad, please!
    If you consider the above statements, you should be able to keep your mp at effective levels even without ballad, while still being able to heal any content you're geared for.

Regarding WHM's enmity, all our healing -amounts- generate it. AoE heals = more enmity, because more healed. If you can get away with smaller cures over time, you will not be pulling enmity as easily, because tanks will be able to build faster than you. Overhealing still counts for enmity, as well, so please watch how much each of your healing spells cure for, both crit and non-crit, and try to consider such before casting a cure bomb on a DD/tank.

I know it is a pain, but level THM for Swiftcast, too. Raise w/ swiftcast, or a Medica 2, is so very useful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and have fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Throwing regen out while a pug is tanking is almost always a recipe for disaster. I really wish they would reduce healer threat.

Please, for the love of god, level THM to 26 and get swiftcast.

You're life will become so much easier when you can do instant resses.

This advice also applies to all SCHs and SMNs.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Jarin, that sounds like a good idea. Though it may take me awhile to get THM to 26 :P I'm not sure if I'm farming Fates "right" but even in a party it doesn't seem as quick as everyone is raving about.

On another note, just got my first job - White Mage! I don't normally play healers, but wanted to get a useful first job/class so there it is... Just healed Brayflox and damn the last fight was a lot harder than anything else I've had to heal so far. Like I actually sat up straight and was at full attention.. Is that normal or did I mess up something? Those poison pools were a real pain and didn't seem like they could be avoided (as in avoiding when he spits them at you, I know you can move out of them).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?foru...307512935&h=50

This page will save every PS3 user's sanity.
    You cared enough to post.

Shroud, as far as I know, only reduces threat by half, so a WHM cant use it to avoid intsant-gibs by spawned adds. During boss fight you cant pull boss off a tank by healing alone. In the end I only use it for the mana regen effect (just like a pot: pop it once early then pop it regularly during the fight:\)

Healing threat in this game is abnormally high or at least you have to be more mindful of it, compared to WoW which I played the most during the last 5 years. But it only matters during trash clearing or bosses with adds, and the best way to deal with it for me is to stay closer to the add tank and spam heal on myself hoping he picks them off me fast enough.

Most WHM healing ive seen so far consists of putting regen on tank, spam cure I until free cure 2 procs, save it for spikes or dump it until the last 3 seconds. The main reason for that is to conserve mana, so it s actually less reliable to a SCH tank healing w/ its pet since SCH doesnt have to save mana like WHM and can afford to spam its shield-heal way more than WHM to spam Cure 2. Ofc, I only do Titan H so far, so cant say for top content like Coil raid.

Cure III is almost useless with its high cost and tiny AoE.

If your group can step out of most avoidable fire, I'm sure without mage ballad, a WHM can plan ahead to spend the last drop of his/her mana bar at the very last moment of the fight (better with a SCH's support). But it never happened to me :\
    Last edited by kronpas; 2013-09-16 at 02:35 AM.

It reminds me of WOW, classic days, where we conserve mana by using Lower Ranks of Heals, for the different health to heal

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavecryst View Post
    Thanks Jarin, that sounds like a good idea. Though it may take me awhile to get THM to 26 :P I'm not sure if I'm farming Fates "right" but even in a party it doesn't seem as quick as everyone is raving about.

On another note, just got my first job - White Mage! I don't normally play healers, but wanted to get a useful first job/class so there it is... Just healed Brayflox and damn the last fight was a lot harder than anything else I've had to heal so far. Like I actually sat up straight and was at full attention.. Is that normal or did I mess up something? Those poison pools were a real pain and didn't seem like they could be avoided (as in avoiding when he spits them at you, I know you can move out of them).

Still farming this place on my WHM in hopes of my chest. It's a cluster fuck no doubt if you have all melee dps, or a ranged dps that likes to stay in the dragon's ass, or behind the tank and get hit by the obvious. But no, there's no way to avoid the thing he spits, if you move too soon when he targets you it'll still go where you are located. It's best to just stand there in nice spot close to the walls and let it hit there, move when you get hit/see the animation of spit after that, heal first before dispelling always, especially on the tank, he hits pretty hard. Other than that he's pretty easy, most people say "save your mana for Cure 2" That's just now how me and my slight-add works, if someone takes damage, ill use Cure 1, 15% chance of getting a free cure 2. Cure 2 on tank after he gets the poision from the boss, and use cure 1 on everyone else when they get hit, as they don't have a very big health pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Throwing regen out while a pug is tanking is almost always a recipe for disaster. I really wish they would reduce healer threat.
    If regen pulls threat off of a tank, that is a tank issue, and any cure will cause the same issue. For me currently, regen heals about 300/tick from what I recall, and cure heals for ~750, double the enmity in each 2 second window. Pug or not, regen is not an enmity spike, it's the smoothest a WHM can have enmity gain honestly. Enmity also splits when there's multiple mobs.
    The misconception about regen is one of the primary reasons I posted at all ><
    And yes, shroud only cuts by half, and using it before add spawns doesn't affect them, but using it after an add(s) spawn, will make it easier for them to be picked up.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Still farming this place on my WHM in hopes of my chest. It's a cluster fuck no doubt if you have all melee dps, or a ranged dps that likes to stay in the dragon's ass, or behind the tank and get hit by the obvious. But no, there's no way to avoid the thing he spits, if you move too soon when he targets you it'll still go where you are located. It's best to just stand there in nice spot close to the walls and let it hit there, move when you get hit/see the animation of spit after that, heal first before dispelling always, especially on the tank, he hits pretty hard. Other than that he's pretty easy, most people say "save your mana for Cure 2" That's just now how me and my slight-add works, if someone takes damage, ill use Cure 1, 15% chance of getting a free cure 2. Cure 2 on tank after he gets the poision from the boss, and use cure 1 on everyone else when they get hit, as they don't have a very big health pool.
    Yeah I only figured out to use Cure 1 on everyone else halfway through the fight, when my mana was depleting quick and I was like "oh shit, may not have enough" cos I panicked when the poison halved their hp. But as long as they immediately got out of the poison, tossing a Cure 1 and Esuna on them was enough, just that I was low on mana by the time I figured :/

I spent the last third of the fight praying the tank would dodge the dragon's hit after being targetted for the poison, because he was floating around half hp and I had like <100 mp. Luckily he did and no one died, but at least now I know how the healing for the fight should go.. Fun dungeon though!

What are some of the harder fights to heal? I might want to look em up before going in for the first time, I'm not altogether very familiar with healing in MMOs (only healed on a shammy at high levels in WoW..don't think my 60+ priest counts as experience).

Got Swiftcast earlier this week. It feels so strange insta-rezzing folks now.

I was going to go for 'Eye for an Eye' but almost everyone says it's ass and from watching it in action, I agree.

Deleted
    Also enjoy this bug while it lasts, but when you ressurect some1, as soon as you see that "flashy" effect when they click accept, start throwing out an aoe heal. By doing this you can prevent weakness and remove weakness/brink of death if they die a 2nd/3rd time. Also if they die again within 1 minute of being ressed they get a free ressurect, since it bugs the buff that the target get when you ressurect them. Havent checked if it has been fixed this reset, but it has worked up until now.
    Last edited by mmoc1a8f94b816; 2013-09-16 at 09:31 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be careful with that, sounds like it would come under "exploits" and I've heard Squeenix is quite unforgiving about that kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kronpas View Post
    Cure III is almost useless with its high cost and tiny AoE.
    Cure III is pretty much worthless from what I've seen/read. Also, Whm does seem to struggle with mana far, far more then Scholars. They will probably have to make a tweak somewhere.

Yeah once u get to Brayflox's Longstop you start to really feel the burn with a WHM's mana pool especially with pug groups. I love the challenge though.

I found WHM fairly basic - but it seems even the most elementary things with MMO healing are above the general XIV community.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Soki View Post
    I found WHM fairly basic - but it seems even the most elementary things with MMO healing are above the general XIV community.
    If I were you, I'd worry about your basic needs for attention by creating an account just to post that :P

Anyways, feels like Freecure got buffed? Or perhaps I had a lucky run; managed to squeeze in a second Brayflox run last night before sleep and I had noticeably more procs than the first, enough to actually have me believe the 15% figure. Getting used to the way damage is dealt as well, so it went overall smoother than my first run even though the two DPS sucked. Ended the final boss with 500+ MP instead of hovering around 50

Are you guys generally stacking mind on attributes, or piety?

What is your opinions on charcter bonus stats and gear stats? Value of crit? etc.

The quality of the group has such a huge effect on mana usage and threat issues from my limited experiences so far.

Deleted
    I've gone max on Mind. Currently feel that Piety is too weak for what it's worth.

As for the stats on gear... I haven't read any statweighs or such, but I'd imagine a combination of Mind, Spell Speed and Determination would be ideal. Unlike Scholars, we don't enjoy doubled shields upon crits and such, so I wouldn't like it that much. I also despise unreliability while healing in general anyway (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Freecure and Overcure!). That said, I've heard that several stats have actual hard caps set on them, so we might have to enjoy a bit of everything in the end without making a fuss out of it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I assume we're stacking Mind primarily, since that will lessen the amount of MP we will need for healing. Spell Speed would be next in line, as a healer. Critical doesn't seem be useful, and as Raminax implied, we don't have any passives or procs that come from critting. Piety will come with gear, no need to actually focus on getting it. Determination so that soloing is alittle easier if you choose to continue soloing as a Conjurer/White Mage.