10+ Year Old Account

So.. I am kinda (but not really) new at my lock

Hi guys.

I have been playing my lock casually on and off for a little while now, however with 5.4 changes I am a little confused as to what spec to go - I understand Aff and Demo are doing quite well atm, but I have been playing destro for most of this expansion, and still feel loyal towards it.

The guides have been great on these forums, but a lot of you have way better gear than I do, so I am not sure what is a realistic number of dps for around 505 ilvl gear - I would really just appreciate some information about how I can work this stuff out myself. I just feel a tad dumb when everyone is simcrafting, and I wouldn't have the faintest of where to start.

Long story short I want to up my dps, but would like to know how to work out what I need to change on my own (and spare myself from trying to work out what's best through opinions of 'no, stack crit!' 'no, you moron, stack mastery!' Haha

Thanks.

(I am not looking for people to work this stuff out for me, just a general point in the right direction, to a reliable source or anything which has a good reputation for being correct!)

Deleted
    What are you intending to do with your warlock?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaeed View Post
    What are you intending to do with your warlock?
    Ideally I want to do the best damage I can in SoO when it's released for lfr, or in flex, as these are the extent of my raiding at the moment. With destro I have read so much conflicting info about secondary stats and what to stack it's doing my head in.

Stack mastery, crit is ok and avoid haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Stack mastery, crit is ok and avoid haste.
    Your kind of avoiding the post that he has. He isn't asking what the best stats are, but rather, he wants to figure out on his on what the best stats are given for his current spec and ilevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamanis View Post
    Your kind of avoiding the post that he has. He isn't asking what the best stats are, but rather, he wants to figure out on his on what the best stats are given for his current spec and ilevel.
    , ,
    Quote Originally Posted by LockRocks View Post
    With destro I have read so much conflicting info about secondary stats and what to stack it's doing my head in.

It's kind of hard to say at this point. Frankly , as someone who played destro all through MoP, Determining exactly what stats work at a given ilvl was a constant stream of trial and error. I was replacing gems/reforging on a weekly or more basis and I never really felt like one pulled so far ahead of the others to convince me there was one definately stat in the #1 place. I thought it might have been haste, and i ended up stacking that more then anything from 496-535 ilvl. Now ive switched to mastery>crit>haste due in part to the RPPM changes making haste less valuable. the changes make it impossible for me (and many other locks) to specifically give an answer to his question since the mechanics have all changed.

I think you are going to be okay with stacking either mastery or crit after int/hitcap. haste should be reforged out of unless you just feel like its more fun for you to have much faster casts.

Deleted
    If you just want to perform good at LFR or flex, spec doesn't really matter. Destro is very viable for this.
    However, if you want to perform the best way possible, I would say go the 9,7k haste breakpoint, stack mastery for everything else and then go affliction/demonology specs and switch up as you need/want.
    That being said, if you are kind new to locks and have only been playing destruction, then you may have some trouble performing well with aff/demo, since those specs are way more in-depth than destro.
    Overall advice: When you're just playing flex or lfr, just play the spec you find the most fun.

https://code.google.com/p/simulation...downloads/list

Download simcraft. Figure out how to use it. On the most basic level, go to the Import tab, import your character, then go to the simulate tab to simulate it. In teh options you can check what scale factors you want to calculate and such and change iterations, fight length, player skill, targets, buffs, debuffs, all that good stuff.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LockRocks View Post
    Ideally I want to do the best damage I can in SoO when it's released for lfr, or in flex, as these are the extent of my raiding at the moment. With destro I have read so much conflicting info about secondary stats and what to stack it's doing my head in.
    At your current level of experience, gear and play, sounds to me like you'd benefit most from:
    a) playing the spec with which you are most comfortable (they all do good damage, more than adequate for LFR)
    b) learning the nuances of the spec and improving your play. THe guides stickied in this forum can help with this.
    c) not worrying about stats as much. a + b will go way further towards increasing your damage than tweaking your stats will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks everyone, you have all been very helpful!
    I had stacked mastery and then crit, so at least I feel I am heading in the right direction. Will give simcrafting a good go and see what I come up with!
    Thanks again