Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    No, I showed that less than half of the PvE population could handle what normal is supposed to be. Hence proving my point; The majority of the WoW PvE population is not of average skill level. They are below average.
    The argument is bi-directional. If there's less than half the amount of people completing something that's supposed to be for the average player, then either the player base is skewed such that there are far more players below average, or the definition of the average is incorrect.

I have already said that it's highly unlikely that the distribution of millions of players' skill to be below average, which leaves only one conclusion, and that's the one including Osmeric's: Normal is either poorly balanced or poorly named.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    I think there's enough players in WoW to assume a bell curve distribution of skill, and hence it's impossible for the majority of players to be "below average".
    it is still possible for the median not to be equal to the mean.
    from a strictly theoretical standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

case in point USA mean per capita income is higher than USA median per capita income on a data set of some 150 million income earners.

which is the same as saying that a majority of americans earn less than average.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Deleted
    I dont really play pve but i can understand the hussle

I just joined some random group from tradechat for a flex raid because I had nothing else to do. I was so bored that I thought I would look the guy up on the armory (the raidleader and tank who invited me) and this is what happened:

(Nothing happened before that. I only said those two sentences...)

This is why there are requirements. This is why you should inspect people. And this is why Blizzard should not nerf content because of data that shows how often people fail because you end up playing with idiots like this. Or do we all have to play some piss easy game because some angry teenager doesn't even want to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    It was poorly named from 4.2 onwards, when standing in bad was apparently acceptable.
    You're seriously claiming you parked in Shannox's traps and still downed him. The players you sent to engage Beth up top let themselves get pelted by meteors and you still killed her. You stood in Rhyolith's lava flows and killed him nonetheless. You had random people soaking Baleroc's crystals with no issues. You parked by the worms while fighting Alysrazror and yet she still died. You killed Staghelm without ever bothering to stack or spread. I call bullshit. Don't make up stupid crap like this because it completely undermines your other arguments' credibility as well. You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    I just joined some random group from tradechat for a flex raid because I had nothing else to do. I was so bored that I thought I would look the guy up on the armory (the raidleader and tank who invited me) and this is what happened:

(Nothing happened before that. I only said those two sentences...)

This is why there are requirements. This is why you should inspect people. And this is why Blizzard should not nerf content because of data that shows how often people fail because you end up playing with idiots like this. Or do we all have to play some piss easy game because some angry teenager doesn't even want to try?
    case in point you did not even attempt at stylizing your feedback in a constructive manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    case in point you did not even attempt at stylizing your feedback in a constructive manner.
    But on the plus side, he provoked that guy into a reportable violation of the ToS. That's the best kind of PvP.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Tact goes something like this

Y) So have you played this before?
    H) Nope.
    Y) Well would you like me to explain what i know of the fight

Y) Are you gearing up a new character?
    H) Yep
    Y) I see you havn't finished gemming or enchanting. i could probably offer a couple of cheap enchants, gems that i have... or do you think you will be okay for now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    But on the plus side, he provoked that guy into a reportable violation of the ToS. That's the best kind of PvP.
    ahhh yes,

PVP in Real life!

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    Depends, if you do flex with a ton of pugs from the same server, it could end up as bad as lfr is currently (4 wipes on Sha, come on...). Or, if you do flex with a bunch of competent guildies, shit dies fast.
    You only wipe in LFR because people simply stopped giving a shit after having content nerfed over and over and made so easy and being grouped up with players who are either terrible, don't care about the others or what happened or were slacking on purpose. At the start I actually tried in LFR now I don't. There are still players explaining tactics in LFR and do their best and everyone should be praising them because without those few players you would not even be able to finish LFR.

- - - Updated - - -

Good reason to call someone a cunt. I hope you don't seriously think it's an insult when someone tells you you didn't enchant your gear.

I'm not going to be constructive to some random player anymore. Deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You only wipe in LFR because people simply stopped giving a shit after having content nerfed over and over and made so easy and being grouped up with players who are either terrible, don't care about the others or what happened or were slacking on purpose. At the start I actually tried in LFR now I don't. There are still players explaining tactics in LFR and do their best and everyone should be praising them because without those few players you would not even be able to finish LFR.

- - - Updated - - -

Good reason to call someone a cunt. I hope you don't seriously think it's an insult when someone tells you you didn't enchant your gear.

if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

you are precisely one of the elements that degrades in-game community that you yourself despise. you are making the game less enjoyable for yourself and that is irrational.

if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

you are precisely one of the elements that degrades in-game community that you yourself despise. you are making the game less enjoyable for yourself and that is irrational.
    You don't know anything about me. I'm pretty sure I helped more people in WoW than you ever did.

It's really not my fault that Blizzard made content so you can steamroll through it by doing nothing at all but press 5 random buttons. How can you expect them to enchant gear when it is far from needed?

But whatever. Have fun helping everyone you come across. Maybe you should inspect everyone in LFR and then whisper them all and help them enchant their gear. I help by asking "ridiculous" requirements for pugs.

The sad thing is that you don't even realize what you did wrong. It's not so much what you said as it is what you did and how you said it. Instead of blurting out, "You didn't even enchant your gear," and then quitting the group before he could so much as respond, you could have mustered up a little tact. Better options:

• You're missing a couple of enchantments. Need advice on which ones to apply?
    • There are some cheap <pick a color> gems for sale on the AH right now. Want to socket them? Even non-optimal gems are better than none.
    • I assume you're in the process of adding item enhancements to your gear right now.

Then after making it known that you're aware of his deficiencies without putting him on the defensive you stick around and wait for him to respond. If there's no response you can step it up with something like, "I'm sorry, but I have a bad feeling about running with a group whose leader can't be bothered to apply minimal effort to enhance their gear. The cost of my repair bill will end up exceeding the cost of your missing enhancements." That way the response will be more on the order of, "Understood. GLHF," and less on the order of, "Go f--- yourself."

In fact, I always carry cheap gems around for such occasions. People are much more receptive to advice after they've been given a 10-gold-piece gem that fits a missing socket.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is still possible for the median not to be equal to the mean.
    from a strictly theoretical standpoint.
    I understand this, but I think due to the sheer amount of players playing/subscribed, they're going to be very close indeed.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    The sad thing is that you don't even realize what you did wrong. It's not so much what you said as it is what you did and how you said it. Instead of blurting out, "You didn't even enchant your gear," and then quitting the group before he could so much as respond, you could have mustered up a little tact. Better options:

• There are some cheap <pick a color> gems for sale on the AH right now. Want to socket them? Even non-optimal gems are better than none.
    • I assume you're in the process of adding item enhancements to your gear right now.

Then after making it known that you're aware of his deficiencies without putting him on the defensive you stick around and wait for him to respond. If there's no response you can step it up with something like, "I'm sorry, but I have a bad feeling about running with a group whose leader can't be bothered to apply minimal effort to enhance their gear. The cost of my repair bill will end up exceeding the cost of your missing enhancements." That way the response will be more on the order of, "Understood. GLHF," and less on the order of, "Go f--- yourself."

In fact, I always carry cheap gems around for such occasions. People are much more receptive to advice after they've been given a 10-gold-piece gem that fits a missing socket.
    You can join a group and look at their gear and know right off the bat what kind of run it is especially if it is all guildies who barely have enough gear to run trying to carry a even worse geared player. Why would someone need to be told to enchant their gear? Gem?

Run with guildies unless you are in a baddie guild then GL.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Offering unsolicited advice to a stranger, even politely, is always rude.

It's not your business to offer advice to a stranger even if (you feel) he desperately needs it. If you want to be polite and cause as little drama as possible, you will do your best with what you have around you.

Perhaps there will be an opening for you to dispense useful advice; most likely there won't.

That's how it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post

I know exactly what I did. I just don't feel like using "tact" anymore. And even then I wasn't even THAT rude. At least not rude enough to call me a cunt. But I guess you would have called me a cunt also then.

Look at the screenshot. He was missing everything. Should I carry 10 gems for every class? And when you start a raid group or any group at all you could at least be prepared. He obviously wasn't prepared. How is that tactful?

Oh shit, you even googled tact for me. How about: go fuck yourself. for tact?

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't know anything about me. I'm pretty sure I helped more people in WoW than you ever did.
    your problem is your tactlessness,
    not whether you choose to help or not help others.

And you know as little about what i have done in the game i know about what you have done in the game.
    so again, avoid purposefully facetious arguments. It reflects poorly on your character.

We ran flex with people on our server last week and got the 4 bosses down w/out much trouble (a few wipes). Was a pretty good run.

Last night I did LFR on my main and it was AWFUL. One of the worst LFR experiences I have ever had. I'm not sure there were more than 5 of us left from the start until the last boss went down. In my limited experience Flex with server-mates has been a lot better than LFR with randoms so far in SoO.

Quote Originally Posted by unholyness View Post
    You can join a group and look at their gear and know right off the bat what kind of run it is especially if it is all guildies who barely have enough gear to run trying to carry a even worse geared player. Why would someone need to be told to enchant their gear? Gem?

Run with guildies unless you are in a baddie guild then GL.
    I'm not saying Gilian was wrong to quit the group. I just think it's inaccurate to say you're "helping" someone by /leaving immediately after insulting them. If you really want to help you'll offer constructive advice. Calling someone out for being bad and immediately /leaving without even waiting for a response isn't helping anyone. No one needs to be told to enchant their gear, but some players don't do it on principle. You don't have to run with them. Also for all you know they just got the gear and are in the process of enchanting it while spamming for more players in trade.

TL;DR - If you're not going to help don't help, but don't be insulting and then claim that you were "helping." You weren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    you could have just said, "Oh shit, my Mother called! i need to go, i am SOO sorry, Bye"

that is tact with out giving anythign away for free.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Offering unsolicited advice to a stranger, even politely, is always rude.

It's not your business to offer advice to a stranger even if (you feel) he desperately needs it. If you want to be polite and cause as little drama as possible, you will do your best with what you have around you.

Perhaps there will be an opening for you to dispense useful advice; most likely there won't.

That's how it actually works.
    actually you can offer advice if you start with a conversation that is not directed toward advising and then eventually circling around to giving the advice in a low pressure manner.

So You are all guildies? I have run this before with my guild but they aren't online (school/work responsibilities you know). Have you run this before? Oh i know most of the fights pretty well. If want i can explain how we've done it.