Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Rep be account wide per realm?

I have several toons that are 90 and during MOP after taking a break I came back and made my pally my main even though my previous was almost fully exalted with all groups from vanilla to each xpac. It always bothered me that since I switched I had to do all the freaking rep grinds again for MOP even though I had already done them on my previous character and the fact that the earlier xpac ones are not exalted as well. I always felt that rep should be linked across all characters for that realm as opposed to just one bc it pissed me off that I would have to grind rep again if I decided to switch. Hell gear was gated with rep and justice/valor so really for someone switching they would have to get valor while not having to worry about grinding the same dailies from a group once again if they wanted to spend the valor, this was more of an issue in the beginning of MOP or anyone trying to get ilvl for LFR. I'm just curious if blizz has decided to switch that stance or is it already in play or is the rep achievements just in play? I mean lets say an achieve is to have 55 exalted reps, well with my new main whose at like 3 maybe would he have to do all the old reps and all the new ones in order to get that achieve or is the ones from my other character count towards it? Just want info about this bc it upsets me that i have to grind dailies once again on my new main for the ability to ride serpents even though I have this on my other toon. Why should i have to start over again on Nat Pagle rep instead of just continuing where my main left off? It really makes it meh to me and is actual deterrent for me to come back bc I feel that all that work I did towards it previously is now lost. The only one I could see/understand it not being like this would be the farm one, but that would really be it. What are your guys thoughts on this or has blizzard given an answer not happening bc fytw. Oh I know about the boost once one becomes exalted but whats the point of that, you might as well just let them be exalted as well if your just going to give them a boost towards it. I feel blizzard is kind of a dailies grind sadist entity.
    Last edited by metatation; 2013-09-19 at 06:10 PM.

I agree with the concept but doubt they will ever do it.
    If you are Revered on one char you can buy a boost for most factions that increase repgain for the entire account by 100%.
    So its not as bad as it used to be.

Same with valor, cap on one character and the remaining days of the week all characters on that account on that server get 50% more.

Cloud Serpent rep should go very quickly if your former main has the Commendation rep bonus token already purchased and used. My alt's my JC and she wanted the jeweled panther mount recipes, so she needed to hit exalted. Between being decently geared, the rep bonus, and pretty much no one else working on CS rep these days the dailies are cake, and the Onyx eggs are not all that hard to collect. Timeless Isle has loot that increases CS rep by 1k, and the eggs aren't character bound but account bound, so if you get them on one char that's not your new "main," you can still send them to your pally.

2 weeks to ride a snazzy cloud serpent if you go the dailies route, I think. A few hours, if Onyx Eggs are being really generous. (both of these assume you get double rep through the commendation)

It would make a lot of things easier, but it wouldn't keep players logging in as often, and Blizz wants players in the game helping other players feel less lonely.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    It would make a lot of things easier, but it wouldn't keep players logging in as often, and Blizz wants players in the game helping other players feel less lonely.
    Depends on the person whether they find daily grinding fun or worth it I guess, but freeing players from this gives them more time to see/experience other aspects of the game i.e. pet battle, especially once completed on another character, so the question is are players merely logging in to do chorelike dailies for rep? I was grinding so much on dailies from MOP release and TOT patch that it became more chorelike to log in than it did enjoyment. Some may like it though, but it was meh to me especially on a dead server with a new main who was all in greens. I guess they try to rectify it by the boosts, but it still seems like you miss out on alot when your time is limited. I guess if the game is good enough it wouldn't have to rely on dailies to keep players logging in.

Sure. Lets also make level and gear account wide. Alts shouldn't require any effort at all.

I think it should be account wide along with fishing, cooking, first aid and archeology. Ibwoild be ok with those grinds even being harder if the went account wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    I agree with the concept but doubt they will ever do it.
    If you are Revered on one char you can buy a boost for most factions that increase repgain for the entire account by 100%.
    So its not as bad as it used to be.

Same with valor, cap on one character and the remaining days of the week all characters on that account on that server get 50% more.
    I guess I was thinking more along the lines of switching mains than worrying about alts, so for me alts are just an AH gold use or to make something my main needs. So the extra 50% doesnt really help me along the lines of wanting to swtich mains and I dont think its bad its just I was thinking more along the lines of switching mains. Commenting on the feature though I would say it is/was an excellent idea that they implemented it for those going alt's gone wild.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thelordpsy View Post
    Sure. Lets also make level and gear account wide. Alts shouldn't require any effort at all.
    What does rep grinding have to do with freaking alts and who cares if your alt is exalted with a group bc of a previous toon for you still have to grind valor and gear so really your post says nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making rep account wide means benefit to the player, which blizzards strives not to provide and is strongly against, they want you to be playing their shitty games for as long as possible with as little convenient rewards as possible so you keep believing that maybe one day you will be satisfied with your gaming experience which will never happen as whenever blizzard introduces something and it actually benefits their players, they will instantly remove or nerf it so it becomes useless making sure you play their shitty games forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I think it should be account wide along with fishing, cooking, first aid and archeology. Ibwoild be ok with those grinds even being harder if the went account wide.
    I agree with that on the secondary skills, hell with my new main theres no way I'm going back to do arch again to level it up. To me if you spent the time and effort on one toon for the secondary prof then it should count towards all characters, but I'm sure people will complain about alts not taking effort even though your effort in your alt should be more with endgame, raiding or other items than trying to redo the grind of secondary profs or rep. I shudder at having to level fishing again, even though they now allow you to fish in anywater at any level (am i correct on this) than before when you had to go to certain sections lol. I dont mind a slightly harder grind if they want to allow it account wide.

I don't know about all reps being account-wide, but the achievement for number of reps maxed should track account-wide. It's the one glaring finger in the eye of the whole 'not be tied to a main you don't like' push behind them making most things account-wide, like mounts and titles and achieves. As far as professions account-wide, I think Archaeology for sure should be as it's meant to be a time-filler prof akin to the whole Pet Battle system. Having it be account-wide would make it much more enjoyable for people playing World of Queuecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by metatation View Post
    What does rep grinding have to do with freaking alts and who cares if your alt is exalted with a group bc of a previous toon for you still have to grind valor and gear so really your post says nothing.
    We are talking about rep grinding on alts right? That's in OP; I assume you didn't lose your memory completely in the half hour between those posts. Anyway, even ignoring how completely terrible this idea is, lets dig straight into consequences.

Say rep is shared between alts. Does this mean that you get rep faster by having more alts and doing the dailies on all of them? Or are the dailies now daily per-account instead of per-character? Or is there an account wide daily rep limit? Or do you share only at milestones, so if one alt reaches exalted it's mirrored to the others but NOT before? What about faction-specific reps (Your human shouldn't be exalted with Orgrimmar, right?)

your effort in your alt should be more with endgame, raiding or other items
    Thanks for telling everyone how to play, just gonna go convince a couple million people that your way should be their way.

I don't know that I agree with making rep account-wide. Sure, it'd be a lot more convenient, but I'd be more interested in new and different ways to earn older rep than a I would a free pass on the work -- particularly if the only reward, given that mounts are account-wide now, is likely a tabard and maybe some would-be transmog gear. But then, I think Blizzard needs to work on how it structures its rep grinds generally. There's more to life than dailies and slaughtering random mobs.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

I think they need to go back to tabard system, but rep be earned not only by doing dungeons with the tabars, but also from PVP, dailies, etc. Every single reputation in the game should have a tabard too.

The tabard system worked VERY WELL in both TBC and WotLK, getting away from it was a big mistake.
    Thrall always was, is, and will be my true Warchief. Garrosh and Vol'jin werent/arent.

We are talking about rep grinding on alts right? That's in OP; I assume you didn't lose your memory completely in the half hour between those posts. Anyway, even ignoring how completely terrible this idea is, lets dig straight into consequences.
    Since you can't read it was about having more flexibility, ya know choice, in switching mains and not being stuck in gated game bc of it so why not make rep account wide. Its actually about not grinding rep on alts and more about switching mains w/o the headache of grinding rep all over again.

Say rep is shared between alts. Does this mean that you get rep faster by having more alts and doing the dailies on all of them? Or are the dailies now daily per-account instead of per-character? Or is there an account wide daily rep limit? Or do you share only at milestones, so if one alt reaches exalted it's mirrored to the others but NOT before?.
    The exalted rep is shared between your realm account. No the rep would not be additive per alt, just that once you hit exalted on one character it would then become account wide, I thought that was self evident but for you it has to be pointed out.

Thanks for telling everyone how to play, just gonna go convince a couple million people that your way should be their way.
    The only reason I play alts, everyone may not do this, is for AH or to make something for my main, not to do dailys for a rep grind. The premise behind this once again is switching mains and it also doesnt stop the fact that even though your exlated you can still do the dailies, nothing is stopping you there on your alts. People have alts for different reasons and I wonder which ones have alts specifically for rep grinding dailies everyday. So you missed the boat again for my point was they could be doing, notice the "could" there, other things if they wanted to, note the choice aspect there, instead of worrying about grinding rep for a certain recipe or for whatever reason when this was previously accomplished on another toon. Also if they wanted to gate recipes and gear they could do this another way instead of faction based rep grinding.

This is a forum. GOD FORBID that someone shares his own opinion.

@OP, I don't know. I'm not for it, I'm not against it. I've only ever really bothered with reps for the mount, and since those are account bound, I only need max rep on one character.

Deleted
    No.
    Each character is meant to be a different "person" in Azeroth, and as such needs to earn the respect of the factions that they encounter along the way.
    Sharing mounts and battle pets across an account is fine as this can be seen the same as lending the car to your <insert family member here>

10+ Year Old Account
    The main thing I'd like is having the achievement for xx rep factions to be account wide. I'm at something like 20/60 or whatever on my main, as I retired my old druid at the end of Cata when I took a break.

I'd like them to not have cloud serpent requirement for the mounts, otherwise, not overly fussed about my alts having the rep.

Rep should be account wide. I earned it, not the "character."

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see how they would have difficultys with making it account bound as alot of the quest chains are tied itno rep ie. dragonmaw, therazane etc. My primary reason for wanting rep to be account bound is because i want to play my monk 100% however i have to keep getting rep on my priest in order to do the 60+ exalted rep achievements >.< It would be lovely if they made it so it counts reps on all your alliance or on all your horde characters so i never have to play on the alts i don't like ever again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemica View Post
    Rep should be account wide. I earned it, not the "character."
    read the Text on the Quests.

Lets use Fell Armaments as an example.

Quest Text "Progress : Have you run into any fel armaments lately? Let the Light do its work, <name>. Do not allow these foul objects to remain in this world."

it does not refer to your birth name or your account name. It refers to your characters name. Therefore it is the character that earns the rep, not the player.