Page 44 of 125 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Went with RP instead of incite last night. I was pretty impressed. I didn't feel the need to be throwing useless demo shouts on tank switches and the damage is pretty awesome. Switched out for rude interruption on protectors and Noru. The damage you can do on those fights in particular with rude interruption is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    Using the tanks in top world guilds as measuring sticks is not always the best option but this really is the beauty of the moment.

You have the top prot warriors in the world (based on guild ranking) going mastery and some going riposte.
    Then you have Slootbag saying he is focusing on a Crit/mastery.
    Then you have all (that I have seen) of the 25 Heroic tanks on these forums saying Riposte.

There is no wrong answer. It's just what works for you. I love the playstyle of Riposte and at the moment it isn't hurting my raid.
    Pretty much. I think it's awesome we actually have viable options within the same spec. Kudos to Blizzard on this one.

Looking for some feedback on my warrior, recently returned to the game.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...erate/advanced

I've been doing flex SoO and will be starting normals this week. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Angrybathtub View Post
    Looking for some feedback on my warrior, recently returned to the game.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...erate/advanced

I've been doing flex SoO and will be starting normals this week. Thanks!
    Enchant your gear, take advantage of the missing Tinker, and get to work on your Black Prince questline. Tip for faster BP rep farming: Go to Isle of Thunder and the Diremoor zone, and farm aoe packs of Shan'ze Mogu and Animated Warriors. I went from 50% revered to exalted in about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by idefiler6 View Post
    Enchant your gear, take advantage of the missing Tinker, and get to work on your Black Prince questline. Tip for faster BP rep farming: Go to Isle of Thunder and the Diremoor zone, and farm aoe packs of Shan'ze Mogu and Animated Warriors. I went from 50% revered to exalted in about 2 hours.
    If you can, take a healer and maybe a DPS if they need rep too. I was pulling about 20 at once, got from 3000/12000 to full exalted on all three of us in about 90 minutes. Use Disrupting Shout and Shockwave to help stop the life stealing thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by Naequin View Post
    If you can, take a healer and maybe a DPS if they need rep too. I was pulling about 20 at once, got from 3000/12000 to full exalted on all three of us in about 90 minutes. Use Disrupting Shout and Shockwave to help stop the life stealing thingy.
    Definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    also, AMR is suggesting me to go for orange full avoidance gems - but i see many go for full parry or full dodge. Any info? Armory is on sig.
    Because the net difference in total avoidance is so small that perfectly balancing your Dodge/Parry is only worth it if you're OCD about the math; for most people the difference is between 0.1-0.5 percent.

Ok, i had the occasion to tank up to iron juggernaut yesterday evening.

Dps has gone up by a decent chunk, and it's fun to have all that rage available. First 4 bosses were pretty easy, i didn't have issues in tanking. Anyway at iron juggernaut i started to take a lor more damage and going for full avoidance gems cut down my HP a lot. Is it worth to get some stam+parry gems to boost up my survivability?

Also: with hevay avoidance builds Shield Barrier is worth more than Shield Block, right? Just to know if i did well or not. My warr can be an alt, but it's not an excuse to play it badly. I'm planning to do the flex runs with him so i can get decent gear to be useful in our normal raids.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Most of the time only by using base stamina from gear you should be fine. It changes depending on your gear. If you are not geared through ToT you may need some sort of stamina boost. Trinkets are best for getting a stamina boost.

Even when using Avoidance you should never miss a single shield block, unless you are taking no blockable damage at all. Shield Barrier is just a bonus that you can use in the 3sec timespan where you cannot block or if you swim in rage. Just keep in mind that your SS will hit 50% harder aswell and it hits like a truck already.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-09-20 at 10:03 AM.

I personally put most of my rage into barrier on Heroic Iron Juggernaut. Getting full barriers for ever breath was pretty huge. The Monk i tank with was having to use diffuse magic (I think) to survive the 4th breath and Barrier alone kept me up just fine. At over 350k vengeance it's pretty sexy.

95% of the time 100% possible uptime on Block is the way to go.

I'm deciding between SBar/Sblock in the following way (even with an avoidance build):

x) "Generally" SBlock > SBarrier, unless...

-> Predictable heavy non-blockable damage incoming or
    -> Very high vengeance level (always keep in mind that SBar scales with vengeance while SBlock doesnt) or
    -> I'm sub 30%, no CD ready and the SBar may just buy the time to get me back up

So pretty much the same arguments zorker/Gliff already gave.
    Last edited by Tseng; 2013-09-20 at 10:51 AM.

Deleted
    Ignoring the magic damage side of things (as that's a pretty obvious choice), you should be using block to smooth the damage and barrier for bigger bursts (Like attacks that hit hard and scale depending on your debuff). With the amount of rage you generate as a avoidance warrior you should be able to do both very easily. I used to have to plan ahead (Remember how rage starved Horridon felt?), now I find I have so much rage I almost forget to use it.

There's not really much more to it!

Deleted
    Hmmm. At which Vengeance level would you SBar > SB? Is it possible to reach 400k Vengeance anywhere?

I have a damage taken spreadsheet to compare block/barrier (sort of)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBkMHp0NW1abGc

It uses the new 1.5% for Vengeance calculation formula.

So avg. 1,500,000 damage taken per second (unmitigated) would net your around 450k Vengeance.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-09-20 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Ok, i had the occasion to tank up to iron juggernaut yesterday evening.

Dps has gone up by a decent chunk, and it's fun to have all that rage available. First 4 bosses were pretty easy, i didn't have issues in tanking. Anyway at iron juggernaut i started to take a lor more damage and going for full avoidance gems cut down my HP a lot. Is it worth to get some stam+parry gems to boost up my survivability?

Also: with hevay avoidance builds Shield Barrier is worth more than Shield Block, right? Just to know if i did well or not. My warr can be an alt, but it's not an excuse to play it badly. I'm planning to do the flex runs with him so i can get decent gear to be useful in our normal raids.
    I wouldn't change my gemming strat, If you're having health issues on a particular fight then try to double up stam trinkets. If you're lacking a stam trinket, the VP vendor out at the shrine of nuzio sells a low level one and i'm pretty sure you can get it with JP now. Juggernaut does alot of unblockable damage so I put less emphasis on maintaining max shield block and more on making sure I have a full shield barrier for the flame vents.

If you can get your hands on Rook's Talisman, it performs extremely well on this encounter.

Deleted
    Hmmm. I just did some more calc stuff and found sth interesting.

---- updated to the correct absorb formula ----------------------------------

350k damage per 1.5seconds

3million damager per 1.5seconds

Once you surpass the Vengeance gained by stamina (for 50k stamina that is around 350,000 damage per 1.5 seconds) your absorbs will become nearly constant. In this example that is around 70k Vengeance.

Basically a simple 20 rage barrier transferrs into a flat 42% reduction (applied past armor/def stance).
    A 40 rage barrier will reduce the damage by 84%.
    A 60 rage barrier will reduce the damage by 126%. (Thus 26% of that are still available as absorb for the next hit)

Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...S1mRUZ6eV9IVWc

Interestingly enough a crit block and a 60 rage barrier net you 186% reduction. Enough for two hits and since block lasts for a while it will last until the third hit you will receive.

Absorb formula used:
    Code:
    absorb = max((attackPower - 2 * strength) * 1.8, stamina * 2.5) * rageMultiplier
    rageMultiplier for a 20 rage barrier is 20/60. For 40 rage barrier it is 40/60. For 60 rage barrier it is 60/60.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-09-20 at 02:18 PM.

Deleted
    I'm new to warriors, only recently finished leveling my first one. I have a couple of questions if you could be so kind so help me out:

1. I don't really understand what a critical block is. Say I have 50% to critically block. Does that mean that, on average, half of my blocks will block twice as much as they normally would?

2. What gearing strategy is advisable at the moment for someone who is planning to do at most SoO normal? Hit/exp to caps, then mastery then avoidance stats? Does crit play any role in mitigation?

Deleted
    Mmm... if that's for calculating when Sbar > Sblock or viceversa, avoidance and mastery gearing have a very heavy value on it. Did a miss it on the cells? Also, whether the LGM has procced, and of course Demo Shout and Shield Wall have a heavy saying on which one will prevent more damage.

In the end, most of the times you grab two auras, one that tells you the total external absorbtion you have up, another that tells you how much of your Sbar have left. Then you ponder: do I have a good external+internal absorb? If yes, Sblock or sit on rage, if not: I'm going to die or drop significantly? If yes, Sbar it, if not, Sblock. You may end up entering a loop where you can't build enough rage for a Sblock and need to 20 rage SBar to survive, but it's your healers and CDs role to get you out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sepharoth View Post
    I'm new to warriors, only recently finished leveling my first one. I have a couple of questions if you could be so kind so help me out:

1. I don't really understand what a critical block is. Say I have 50% to critically block. Does that mean that, on average, half of my blocks will block twice as much as they normally would?

2. What gearing strategy is advisable at the moment for someone who is planning to do at most SoO normal? Hit/exp to caps, then mastery then avoidance stats? Does crit play any role in mitigation?
    1) Yes.
    2) Devastate and Shield Slam crits gives you rage. Rage is mitigation, that's the role of crit in mitigation. If you tank normal, play with whatever you find fun. If you are used to mastery stack, try avoidance and see if you like it. Personally, I wouldn't tell anyone to pick avoidance after going heavy with mastery. They don't mix well, go crit after mastery (or before mastery) if you decide to gear that way.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2013-09-20 at 01:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehpounderer View Post
    Thunderclap hit the boss and three adds that were within range... all crits for over 400k each
    Holy living f&$@! I am so doing this when I log back online.

So there was discussion about changing the vengeance cap but I don't believe that ever went through, correct? It is still capped at max health? I went back through patch notes and hotfixes and saw nothing about it being reduced. They just decided to disincentivize us from playing bad (like sitting down, and standing in fire), right?

Deleted
    There is no Vengeance cap. But they nerfed the Vengeance generation from
    newVengeance = 0.018 * DamageTaken + OldVengeance * OldVengeanceSecondsRemaining / 20
    to
    newVengeance = 0.015 * DamageTaken + OldVengeance * OldVengeanceSecondsRemaining / 20
    in 5.4.