Poll: Would you Support an HD Texture Pack Upgrade for WoW?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do You Want a WoW HD Texture Pack?

Suppose your the proud owner of a super powerful computer, and you really like to play World of Warcraft, would you like to see the devs develop an HD texture pack so that you could enjoy nicer graphics? Doesn't have to be anything major as in art redesign - this isn't about make the game look more realistic, it's about making it more detailed. So...if the devs could, would you show your support for that? Also, this wouldn't be forced upon anyone, it'd be an optional download.

Note: Textures would bring the game's textures to 2k resolution. Would affect all content.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2013-09-21 at 12:16 AM.

Sure, although I'd prefer a completely new engine + HD support.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    If you scrapped WoW's engine, that'd be making WoW 2. You don't just make a 'completely new engine' without making an entirely new game.
    Not necessarily, but I'd also be fine with a WoW 2. You have games coming out now that run better w/better quality graphics and the game is nearly a decade old at this point, I'd say it's time for an overhaul.

Not really, I prefer being able to actually run the game smoothly. Besides, I think the current graphics have a certain charm to them.

Sooner or later Blizz will be made into making new engine to WoW because game getting old, and instead better graphic we getting fps drop every patch - soon to even play 25man you will need highend PC, but if you would back to vanilla - if you can remember - you were able to play 40man on not so good PC (my radeon 9200 handle it if I remember correctly).

A bit offtop here - I wonder if Blizz will overhaul Silvermoon where we still can see monuments of Kael'thas there and Green power crystals which don't fit lore at all atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I'd much rather the game was just given an overhaul instead of needing some sort of addon to do it.

What would be really good is if they ever did update the game's old engine, lowering your settings would revert it to old graphics as opposed to using the new ones if the computer can't handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
    Hmm, I'd much rather the game was just given an overhaul instead of needing some sort of addon to do it.

What would be really good is if they ever did update the game's old engine, lowering your settings would revert it to old graphics as opposed to using the new ones if the computer can't handle it.
    That would please many players.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a whole new engine here in the next couple years. If they do, WoW would easily be good for another 10 years.
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

10+ Year Old Account
    Well let's look at Garrosh's new model. Look at that, the Pandaren and all the new content design. Put all that and try and imagine the rest of the game. Yeah I bet things will look pretty good looking.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    No I prefer shitty graphics... What kinda question is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    No I prefer shitty graphics... What kinda question is that?
    I have to agree with this. There severs would never handle it but. There is a reason mmos don't use super good graphics. Even elder scroll online had to real them back from the skyrim engine.
    Aye mate

15+ Year Old Account
    I want one, BUT Blizzard is not gonna make one, they rather spend those manhours on Titan
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

HD is just a marketing name coined to stand for high screen resolutions such as 1920x1080, so WoW is already HD. Compared to many "HD" console games WoW is in a different league of "HD", and also has much higher resolution textures than any console game. If you mean would I like more modern high quality graphics, then yes but that would require a new game engine, which is not going to happen.

There is a lot more to high quality modern graphics than textures.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-09-21 at 01:59 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there should be an option 'I don't care'.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

I don't think there would be much to gain from 2K size textures given the stylized nature of them. There's really not a lot of fine detail that needs such a resolution to shine. After 1K you'll run into serious diminishing returns, perhaps even 512 for some textures.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely be curious, sure why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if we see a whole new engine here in the next couple years. If they do, WoW would easily be good for another 10 years.
    It wouldn't surprise me either. I'm probably 100% wrong on this but the technical guys at Blizzard don't appear to be dummies. And if they were developing a new engine for Titan and didn't leave some hooks in it that WoW could use I might have to revise that opinion. If I were Morhaime and as a company Blizzard was going to go about the business of developing a brand-new engine to run an MMO on, I'd want WoW to be able to hook into it. Not that that would be any simple thing but the development of the engine itself and associated back-end functionality should be something that's usable elsewhere other than Titan.

That said, the stylized look of the game has worn well and ramping it up to some version of realism would probably look worse than people think. I really wish they'd fix trees though. That would do so much.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Blizzard doesn't have Exxon money and because of that (and a plethora of other reasons) will not now, nor ever, upgrade graphics the way you want.
    Game quality =/= graphics quality. Unless you prefer to have all of the content we have now and absolutely 0 advancement to ever happen in the game, you don't really want wildly upgraded graphics. Realism in video games like this kill video games like this. Look at Rift, they tried realism and it failed. Big time. Why? Because of what I already said: game quality =/= graphics quality.

Azeroth isn't real life. Get a grip. Stop trying to make it so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me either. I'm probably 100% wrong on this but the technical guys at Blizzard don't appear to be dummies. And if they were developing a new engine for Titan and didn't leave some hooks in it that WoW could use I might have to revise that opinion. If I were Morhaime and as a company Blizzard was going to go about the business of developing a brand-new engine to run an MMO on, I'd want WoW to be able to hook into it. Not that that would be any simple thing but the development of the engine itself and associated back-end functionality should be something that's usable elsewhere other than Titan.

That said, the stylized look of the game has worn well and ramping it up to some version of realism would probably look worse than people think. I really wish they'd fix trees though. That would do so much.

I don't think people are asking for realism or even RAWR SUPER ULTRA OMEGA graphics. Just push it up a bit.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

wow is more about style then it is about definition. voted 'no', waste of development time. let them work on new character models instead.