Question Best xpack for pve and pvp overall balance?

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    probably WoTLK. overall good pve endgame and pvp was pretty good imo.
    Hi

Deleted
    TBC then WOTLK. Both exp pretty good pvp balance and end game was just amazing.

What would you define as overall balance? The amount of classes and their respective specs that are deemed viable enough by players to be used in PvE/PvP? If so, we're probably further along than ever before. The question I would ask is if the price paid was worth it.

I think they've all had major weaknesses in balance.

Classic was an utter nightmare, with most specs not even being viable endgame.
    BC was an improvement on Classic, but some specs were still total trash and some were wildly overpowered, or absolutely required for group composition. Remember how no one wanted Paladin tanks until Hyjal, and then it was pally tank or bust?
    WotLK introduced Death Knights, and that was a horror show for almost the entire expansion, and then remember how paladin tanks and dps had significant advantages over other classes in Naxx and ICC because of all their bonus crit/damage/effects against Undead?

Honestly, I think each expansion improves on the last and gets closer to "better" balance, even though each one had and still has issues. Cataclysm and MIsts's balance has probably been the best so far, even with their failings.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I think they've all had major weaknesses in balance.

Classic was an utter nightmare, with most specs not even being viable endgame.
    BC was an improvement on Classic, but some specs were still total trash and some were wildly overpowered, or absolutely required for group composition. Remember how no one wanted Paladin tanks until Hyjal, and then it was pally tank or bust?
    WotLK introduced Death Knights, and that was a horror show for almost the entire expansion, and then remember how paladin tanks and dps had significant advantages over other classes in Naxx and ICC because of all their bonus crit/damage/effects against Undead?

Honestly, I think each expansion improves on the last and gets closer to "better" balance, even though each one had and still has issues. Cataclysm and MIsts's balance has probably been the best so far, even with their failings.
    These issues have mostly been solved now with the gradual trademark homogenization of the classes. And that's largely my main problem with it. I think a much better route would have been to preserve the original nichés of the classes and their specs, but rather focus on balancing the encounters to accomodate things better.

I have severe issues getting into playing as a tank these days because I simply don't like the overall feel of the mechanics, and they are now way too similar across all the tanking classes. The "feel" I enjoyed most of all was protection paladins back in The Burning Crusade.

10+ Year Old Account
    TBC had excellent PvE, while Wrath had excellent PvP. Well for me that is.

WotLK. The balance had its terrible moments late in the addon but... PVE-Wise the classes where mostly on one level. The difference was tiny and while you had dominating classes, none of them was that dominant that it could not be beaten. Same PVP-Wise even if at the very end Shadow-Priests basically pulled people of the sled with one life-drain for example, which was ridiclouse. Cataclysm and MoP both did a lot of flailing to keep balance, but failed miserably in every role because they balanced it upon the wrong data-source. So right now the space between the classes is ridiclously big, and more than before, i have the feeling you see the same set of classes over and over again.

TBC was bad as well, if i am allowed to remind you of Warlocks and Enhancer-Shamans murdering everything and everyone in PVP, the former dominating PVE just as well, while Druids PVE and PVP just healed.... and healed... and healed... and healed some more... and healed... without ever going oom or being anywhere close to the chance of dying because their hots where the biggest joke ever.
    Last edited by SoundOfGuns; 2013-09-22 at 05:50 PM.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Deleted
    My vote goes to Wrath of the Lich King.

The final months werent pretty, but the expansion overall had a balanced feel in both PvE and PvP.

Deleted
    wotlk pvp still to this day.

yesterday we had a wotlk at tournament at our youth center with 8 3s teams; bunch of different teams and great gameplays the whole night!