Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Taustin View Post
    It's because most mages went warlock instead.
    And just got nerfed again lolz

Deleted
    cynwise.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/class-distribution-data-for-patch-5-4/

this source is really interesting, and does support the mages decline like all sources and my personal in game experience. However it's odd that the mages biggest decline came from the start of the launch. And there is the argument that the worst part of the mage is that you experience at max lvl. One thing you have to keep in mind is WTF does that blogger mean by endgame?

First of all let’s look at this chart: cynwise.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/screen-shot-2013-09-09-at-11-36-09-pm.png
    Decline from prelaunch pandaria till patch 5.1
    Mages: 1,75% drop translating into a 15,84% decline
    Rogues 2,16% drop translating into a 27,86% decline!!!!!!!!!!

So what would be the cause of this?
    • 1. Lack of excitement of the new mage features
    • 2. Lvl 90 talents
    • 3. Mages not being op at the start of raiding
    • 5. Bad community PR
    • 5. FOTM rerollers going back to their original class

I was going to address each point separately but I can't divulge a conclusion on each one of them based on Statistics, I'd have to use logic and education. I did however adores FOTM rerollers, which is at the bottom of the post.

What's my guess:
    My guess is that it's a cause and effect whereby the lvl 90 talents did heavily influence it and might have also resulted in mages quitting at lvl 90 which resulted in them not being seen as endgame.

Cause and effect:
    (Point1 .)The main problem of the mage was the lack of excitement for the mages new features. This mainly came from the level 90 Talents (point 2.) but also other factors like point 5. This resulted in players leaving their class at max level and not being considered Endgame and they might have done this during beta of Cataclysm.
    Because of the this lack of excitement and actual distaste of the level 90 Talents it resulted in the player base giving bad PR to the mage in Real life, Ingame and on the forums. This dissuaded players from levelling a mage to 90 even to a point that it could have dissuaded FoTMers. Players really gave a strong message to others,: “sure (spec)mages are extremely powerfull but level 90 talents are extremely annoying, your better of being a warlock, I heard their fun“

The Beta really gave way for it to become easier to see what the new changes would be. But having it purely blamed the problems of new changes is od even if it's a decline of 10-15%. It could also be the annoyance, boredom of the class that the player experienced during the previous experience and you move away from the class because of the lack of changes.
    I for one lost interest in pvp because of certain mage changes during cataclysm and because of the lack of changes I was almost motived enough to reroll Monk.

1. FotM rerollers going back to their original class - NO!!
    (for the next bit I need help to confirm how the balance was for rogues and mages of the past, and I could be partly wrong because of this)
    Mages have a tendency to have one spec be really good in raiding and I believe this was the case at the end of Cataclysm,
    Rogues might have aswell and for pvp there is often a constant switch of 1 melee clas being better than the rest of the melee per patch.
    However if this was true than we would see more fluctuations in this chart:
    cynwise.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/class-popularity-graph-at-endgame-for-5-4.png

In that chart you only see warriors spike. Wasn't that during the time of "swifty macro"?
    And even the warrior increase could have been a result of other factors.
    Although mage usefulness has declined it did bring a lot of dmg in raiding, pvp wasn't that exceptional.
    Although FoTM certainly has influence It doesn't seem to make a huge impact on the full spectrum of the class.
    So much I have to make the conclusion that FoTM rerollers were not the cause of the decline.
    - - - Updated - - -

To be honest I find the hunter increase much more suprising. But dispite that their 3 specs are even more similiar than mages, the whole pet aspect probably gives it a lot of charm and automatic excitement for each expansion similir to how vanity pets are.

But than why were they so low in Wrath. This probably had something to do with certain gamemechanics restricting the fun experience of the hunter and certain niches outside of raiding became less prominent.Now that these restrictions have mostly been solved the hunter can once again go free and dominate like they had in Vanilla.

I've played WoW as a mage since the beginning of BC. This expansion has made me actively dislike playing (raiding) with my mage. They have complicated the class and specializations to the point that I simply no longer enjoy it.

Swizzle, shame on you for admonishing people on anecdotal claims then proceeding to post a giant anecdotal dump about people not liking mage visuals. You should know better! =P
    Let Reason Prevail

Deleted
    A lot of players that played mage in the beginning of the tier was forced to reroll warlock due to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by invictusordead View Post
    A lot of players that played mage in the beginning of the tier was forced to reroll warlock due to progress.
    How many guilds actually force a player to switch specs 100% without that player's consent outside of the top 5 world wide? Even then I would guess that the players have some sort of control over how they play.

This is also game wide data and the few instances of mages rerolling locks will be drowned out in the volume of data present anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarion View Post
    I've played WoW as a mage since the beginning of BC. This expansion has made me actively dislike playing (raiding) with my mage. They have complicated the class and specializations to the point that I simply no longer enjoy it.
    Same, but the end of BC for me. Been a Mage since 2.4.3, and never looked back... until the moment I hit Level 90... ;_;
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.