Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What are some addons you use for your paladin?

So, I've been looking around recently for some more useful addons to use as a Paladin specifically or just general useful addons for raiding.
    I do not PvP or run auction house ect so this will be a raid addon specific thread.

If it is a need to know, I'm a prot paladin and all I do is normally tank, very little do I play ret

Currently addons I have are

Weak Auras 2
    Tidy Plates
    Taunt Master
    Skada (And various addons for it)
    Deadly Boss Mods
    Error Filter (Got sick of seeing CANT DO THAT RIGHT NOW errors)
    Cool downs
    Block Chinese
    Bartender

I use these addons as some of them just make life easier, such as taunt master and weak auras, but I've been looking for some more.

Deleted
    bigwigs
    threatplates
    recount
    bartender
    some cooldown addon I dont know what it is called
    skinner
    omen

ElvUI - My UI Base.
    Skada - Damage Meter
    Postal - Convenient
    DBM - Boss Mod
    Bagnon - I love being able to search alt's bags/banks.
    Tidy Plates - Nameplates
    Weak Auras - I can't do without this anymore.
    MikScrollingBattleText -

Taunt Master is terrible, do not use it. I can't be bothered to dig up the post but it sucks because it works (or used to work) by simply taunting the target of your target, which might not always be the target you want to taunt, so it teaches bad practices.

I use Kthnx's ElvUI edit which adds a few addons of its own, but its mostly:

* ElvUI
    * WeakAuras
    * RSA
    * Deadly Boss Mods (I've tried BigWigs many times, don't like it as much as DBM)
    * Skada
    * Omen
    * PhoenixStyle (calls out who fails on things)
    * Threat Plates

Other than the standard STUF/Dominos/BigWigs/WeakAuras, the only addon I installed specifically for my Pala was Clique. I really like that addon.

Healer Perspective, but most of these addons are recommended for all specs (including Prot).

Here's the big 4 I would require absolutely:

ElvUI: Standard Build. Shadow and Light and other skins are possible.

WeakAuras: Required for ALL classes. Honestly this addon is insane, there are so many addons that can be directly replaced with this one. I use this for Encounter Auras, Ability Cooldowns (Affiniti UI is an example of a bar you could use, and you can always modify his aura for your personal use), Holy Power, "Seal Fail Check" (in case you are not in Seal of Insight or if a Mind Control swapped you out), Vengeance Meter (protection), etc.

Skada: This addon is miles above Recount. If you are stubborn and use Recount (like I did at start of MOP) switch. You will not regret.

Deadly Boss Mods: The other boss mod you can use is BigWigs. I would not recommend any other boss mod.

Other addons:

VuhDo: Grid works also, as does ElvUI base raid frames.
    Shadowed UF: If you like ElvUI's you can just use that.
    Gnosis: ElvUI's castbar is fine especially if you just play Prot/Ret.
    Clique: Not technically required. VuhDo provides the same functionality on raid frames also.
    OmniCC: You can also use ElvUI AddonSkins.
    Omen: Not really needed, but useful as a tank especially.
    RSA: You can use macros or a similar addon instead.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-09-23 at 12:46 AM.

Bartender- organize my bars
    Masque- to pretty up bartender
    Tidy Plates- because threat plates are really really important
    Shadowed Unit frames- used xpearl for a while, but SUF is a lot better
    Omen- tanking
    Omni CC- quick glance at cds on my bar
    Need to Know- track sacred shield, weakened blows, and inquisition
    Dbm- knowing timers as a tank is paramount
    Recount- Meh, I don't really use it a whole lot, as a tank I'm not exactly topping meters
    Postal- Because when you have an entire page of mail unread, you'll be happy you have it
    Last edited by 4KhazModan; 2013-09-23 at 12:53 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    actually I don't use a paladin specific addon. there is none.
    weakauras for all kind of stuff - of course the configuration is paladin specific, but the addon itself isnt.
    raven for all kind of buff/debuff tracking
    some addon for unit frames, because I think, the default unit frames are just too... much stuff to make it look nice, but too less important stuff. I use pitbull for that. I'm always amazed how people can play with the default ones....
    boss timers, whatever you prefer. I prefer bigwigs. it has improved quite some bit in the pasts few months/years.
    and one for me - as a tank and at least raid assistant... OPIE + OPIE WORLD MARKERS. it is sooooo much easier to set marks on both targets and the world markers with that...

but as you see, none of it is really paladin specific.

TidyPlate
    DBM
    WeakAuras
    Recount
    Death Clock
    DeathNote
    DoomPulse
    IceHud
    LoggerHead
    Recount
    RSA
    StellarBars

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    TidyPlate
    DBM
    WeakAuras
    Recount
    Death Clock
    DeathNote
    DoomPulse
    IceHud
    LoggerHead
    Recount
    RSA
    StellarBars

I was always wondering what addon RSA was, Never bothered to find out thou from people announce their stuff in raid chat thou I've always kinda wanted it :P Thanks for the new addon.

Vuhdo
    DBM
    Recount though I rarely even turn it on.

Not much now-a-days. Used to have a lot of different addons but they just seem to clutter everything up for no real meaningful purpose.

I do love Vuhdu for healing on all my toons though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm.. Is lots a valid answer? No?

Grid - Healing stuff!
    Pitbull 4 - UF stuff
    Weakaura 2 - Like, all the things. CD tracking, HP tracking, HS tracking, legendary proc tracking.
    Bartender 4 - Bar things!
    Skada - To see how bad I am
    Bigwigs - So I know when that big ball of OHMYGODEVERYEONEISAT1HEALTH is coming
    RSA - Calling out CD's to the other healers
    OmniCC - Uhm.. Because I can?
    Parrot - To push the numbers off to the side

Probably a lot more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head!

I don't really think ElvUI is required itself, but if you don't use it you should use addons that do at least part of its functionality: Unit Frames, Raid Frames, Bars, for instance. I know I'm not actually a big fan of ElvUI version of some things so I actually use other addons on top of it.

1) WeakAuras I think should be mandatory for everyone now. I do not see a place for people in any raid who does not have that addon anymore.

2) Skada I also actually have as mandatory for progression, not just for "epeen" meters (that's what WoL is for, btw) but also because you can do on-the-fly analysis between attempts. For a tank this is really important, you can look at damage taken, damage done (tank DPS matters), healing (both on you, and who is healing you, how much are you self healing), and deaths (got gibbed mid-fight, find out why). I do think this addon is "mandatory" specifically because it is miles above Recount. I say this as someone who stubbornly stuck to Recount until mid-MOP, switch and you will never switch back.

3) Boss Mod: DBM or BigWigs. Both are known to be reliable and updated to actually be accurate. I wouldn't trust anything else.

15+ Year Old Account
    GTFO is also pretty required. it makes a sound that MAKES you go out of bad stuff if you stand in it, because it is so annoying.
    if you purposely stand in stuff or do old content and you just don't care, it might really get on your tits, but other than that, I pretty much think that this should be mandatory as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xebtria View Post
    GTFO is also pretty required. it makes a sound that MAKES you go out of bad stuff if you stand in it, because it is so annoying.
    if you purposely stand in stuff or do old content and you just don't care, it might really get on your tits, but other than that, I pretty much think that this should be mandatory as well.
    I know a lot of people myself included who do not have wow sounds on. So that's a somewhat moot point.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have sound myself. GTFO doesn't care. The alarm sound comes anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    2) Skada I also actually have as mandatory for progression, not just for "epeen" meters (that's what WoL is for, btw) but also because you can do on-the-fly analysis between attempts. For a tank this is really important, you can look at damage taken, damage done (tank DPS matters), healing (both on you, and who is healing you, how much are you self healing), and deaths (got gibbed mid-fight, find out why). I do think this addon is "mandatory" specifically because it is miles above Recount. I say this as someone who stubbornly stuck to Recount until mid-MOP, switch and you will never switch back.
    What specifically makes it "miles above" recount? I've not felt that recount lacks anything in particular that I've felt like I've needed, except maybe more detailed death logs, but persumably you've noticed some glaring flaws in it that skada corrects?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

More accurate in terms of log analysis (esp. absorbs), more detailed pet attacks, IIRC also provides more enemy damage taken/healing taken info, easier to compare specifics (recount as far as I know is horrible at this), much better engineered overall of an addon (can save profiles and stuff), and a lot less resource usage than Recount.

Recount IIRC is more or less a dead addon. It isn't even updated, just "maintained" anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    More accurate in terms of log analysis (esp. absorbs), more detailed pet attacks, IIRC also provides more enemy damage taken/healing taken info, easier to compare specifics (recount as far as I know is horrible at this), much better engineered overall of an addon (can save profiles and stuff), and a lot less resource usage than Recount.

Recount IIRC is more or less a dead addon. It isn't even updated, just "maintained" anymore.
    Afaik it is the complete opposite. The basic settings in recount is quite bad, but if you set it properly it is an amazing tool. From what I have compared them, Recount provides a ton of information that Skada does not, lists mobs and bosses that skada does not, lists abilities in a much clearer way.

We have always joked (with 50% joke 50% seriousness) that Skada is the raider addon for those that only want an epeen meter and Recount is the raid leader addon for in-depth analasis and min-maxing. I may be biased, have not tried skada since 5.0 now, but I always considered players using skada over recount for any other reason than memory usage to be players not interested in improving themselves and analysing fights.

I could be completely wrong, maybe I should give Skada a try, but last time I did I uninstalled it after a day due to how inferior it was to recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Afaik it is the complete opposite. The basic settings in recount is quite bad, but if you set it properly it is an amazing tool. From what I have compared them, Recount provides a ton of information that Skada does not, lists mobs and bosses that skada does not, lists abilities in a much clearer way.
    Since 4.3 Skada has undergone vast improvement, Recount I think is the same addon as it's been since 3.3. So.... that's that. Your "joke" as far as I see is almost the opposite from what I can tell though I think it's obvious that if you really want "in-depth analysis and min-maxing" you would be analyzing logs, not your damage meters (which are more intended to give quick feedback rather than detailed feedback). Skada at this point provides generally more information and better information than recount, the only thing it doesn't have is that graph "feature"