Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Did they fix the game ?

Hi guys,

I'm considering coming back to GW2 and I'm asking for your honest opinion, simply regarding one thing:

Did Arenanet fix the game, aka the countless bugs it had shortly after launch ?

I remember switching servers/worlds (whatever they were called) constantly to do specific dynamic events and skillpoints and some of them were constantly broken for at least 6/7 days (aka they only worked shortly after a server restart) - one of the worst offenders was a skillpoint where you had to defeat a pirate captain and his crew on a mid-level area that was some kind of lagune (with lots of pirates, fishermen villages, merfolk and stuff).

I swear: I camped this place and it kept being broken every time I tried . . .

Also: Some skills on my Mesmer didn't work properly and I couldn't see some of the indication cycles on the ground warning me of boss mob attacks.

Did they also tone down the particle effects (although not a bug) btw ? You went almost blind even in a small dungeon group.

These are my main concern, maybe you guys can inform me about the current state regarding bugs - it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaFlavor View Post

These are my main concern, maybe you guys can inform me about the current state regarding bugs - it would be much appreciated.
    Things are good in GW2 - but log on yourself and check it out. It's free you know...

Every game in active live development fixes bugs/errors over time. New ones rise. Then get fixed.

The issue is not wroth concern in a macro sense.

didn't realize the game was broken

It was broken?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    I lolled. I don't think I've ever played a game that never had bugs. However on GW2 if I find any, they're pretty rare or not that big of a deal. I remember not being able to play some games at all after release. Now that's annoying.

Any map completionist/altoholic knows that GW2's been riddled with bugs in some cases for a long, long time. My biggest annoyance was the cattlepult vista is Diessa Plateau, which was consistently broken for the majority of GW2's existence. You had to plan to get it after a patch because as soon as the harpy event started it would bug out and nothing aside from a server reset would fix it. This seems to have (finally) been fixed though as I haven't had any trouble with it for at least the past few months.

The Taidha Covington chain as far as I know has always been broken and still is. It wasn't until API + server reset that I was finally able to get the Hydra Queen achievement.

The shark skill point in Sparkfly Fen had so many issues they apparently removed the fight component from it entirely and now you just have to click on its corpse.

Those are just some examples off the top of my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that's all you are able to come up with Lane ;-)

I do Taidha every couple days, don't know what you are talking about. I do remember at launch there was a couple skill point challenges that would bug shortly after reset (I remember the shark one in Sparkfly and the Tengu wall one in Caledon being particularly stubborn), yes - those are all fixed.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Some yes, some not. You will encounter broken events and skill points rarely nowadays. But it still happens. I happen to break around 4 events per week while playing normally right now. I always feel bad then, because I really don't intend to do it. I just play normally.

Also some personal story bugs still occur which need you to abort and redo a mission completely. Sometimes this "fixes" it and you can complete it, sometimes you have to wait for a patch. I encountered 4 such personal story bugs in the last month. One was fixed by a new patch, the others by repeating the mission.

Also right now on some machines the sound tends to bug out. Especially a friend of mine is a victim of that. After playing for like an hour he tells me that it happened again, but he also suffers of bugs where his client crashes and things like that. GW2 really hates his computer for some reason.

And no, I am not exaggerating or trying to hate on the game. This is merely my own observation over the last two months of gametime.

Did they also tone down the particle effects (although not a bug) btw ? You went almost blind even in a small dungeon group.
    They didn't really change anything in that regard. It's still a mess in bigger groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think your friend's computer issues hardly reflects the experience of the millions that are playing.

This is an MMO and MMOs do come with bugs. Pretty standard. ArenaNet actively supports the game and does address them in a timely manner, you can see for yourself by putting the word "bug" in this search the patch notes site:

http://gw2patchnotesearch.david-reess.de/
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    This is an MMO and MMOs do come with bugs.
    Every software has bugs. I'm aware of that and I'm not hating on the game because of that. But the OP was asking, thus I answered.

I'm a bit baffled why most posters in this thread get so uptight because of his question. It really didn't strike me as a troll-post or a deliberate attempt to hate on the game. It's a legitimate question.

The bugs in the game annoy me of course, but I accept them and can live with them because I know that debugging a software like an MMO is a massive task. But accepting them means not that I should deny their existence or downplay them. But maybe the OP is easily annoyed by bugs like stucked events and such? So it's only natural that he tries to find out whether it is as bad as it was after release or not. Because honestly, it WAS bad after release. It got way better, but every now and then you still come along something.

I'm not upset but a bit puzzled by the title as it infers that the game itself was broken.

The presence of bugs doesn't mean the game is broken, nor would the absence of bugs mean the game is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I think that's all you are able to come up with Lane ;-)
    You wish. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    Also some personal story bugs still occur which need you to abort and redo a mission completely. Sometimes this "fixes" it and you can complete it, sometimes you have to wait for a patch. I encountered 4 such personal story bugs in the last month. One was fixed by a new patch, the others by repeating the mission.
    Ugh, I forgot about personal story. Generally it hasn't been that bad (in my experience), but I do distinctly recall my warrior being completely blocked from progressing in hers for at least a couple of months because the skritt/destroyer path in Harathi Hinterlands was broken and it took them that long to fix it.

I don't think fixing bugs in the core world is very high on their priority list, either that or the ones that exist are of such magnitude that it somehow takes multiple months to correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit baffled why most posters in this thread get so uptight because of his question. It really didn't strike me as a troll-post or a deliberate attempt to hate on the game. It's a legitimate question.
    Well, yeah it's the title. It's flamebaiting, bordering on trolling. Of course the game is not broken, there are millions playing it.

Let's face it, the game has been under a microscope since (before) it launched, it's the first western MMO to achieve such a level of success in the post-WoW era. This of course has drawn the ire of certain parties - the internet hissy fits, twisting of words and opinions presented as facts just gets kind of tedious.

Carry on!
    Valar morghulis

Also right now on some machines the sound tends to bug out. Especially a friend of mine is a victim of that. After playing for like an hour he tells me that it happened again, but he also suffers of bugs where his client crashes and things like that. GW2 really hates his computer for some reason.
    I've had similar issues during my recent sessions. Attack sounds will stop playing, but I still get music and some ambient sound effects, which may or may not fix itself after zoning. I've also noticed some occasional crashing. Mostly when changing zones, but occasionally when I'm out and about doing various tasks.

To answer the OP, yes, most of the launch bugs have been ironed out, but their quality control is still quite poor. I've not seen any bugged skill points recently, while it seemed there were 1-2 per zone that were bugged at launch (except for Orr, it was a buggy mess at launch, where only 1-2 weren't bugged). Most Events from launch seem to be stable, but if it is an event from a Living Story patch, I'd give it a fairly good chance of being bugged. I think I /bugged 13 different events during the Queen's Jubilee patch, and that was during the second week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Of course, half the time the "hissy fits" are simply the result of certain parties being so blatantly fanboyish toward the game that they'll say things that are just patently false, or misrepresent things, or deny actual issues, thus resulting in arguments that are totally pointless and dumb.

I'm not sayin' that's anyone here, I'm just sayin'.
    I'll agree. Delusional people come out saying this game is perfect, then others come out saying it isn't . They probably wouldnt even post their issues in the first place, had they not read lies in other threads. Never ending cycle.
    Last edited by Razael; 2013-09-25 at 07:01 PM.

I was in no way trying to troll/troll-bait/"hate" on GW2, I just wanted to know if the amount of bugs had been significantly reduced and I didn't want to go through hours of reinstalling the game, patching it and playing it for a few hours - only to find out that all the bugs that annoyed me near launch were still present.

So, in essence: A lot of bugs have been fixed, but not all of them (which is, of course, almost impossible anyways - especially in an MMO).

I thank all of you for your answers and will give GW2 another shot - btw: For me something doesn't have to be completely and utterly broken to the point of un-usability to be "fixed" - you can "fix" your car by repairing one broken light and the car might still have been in pretty decent shape otherwise beforehand.

Then again, I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe my wording did cause some uptight answers - my apologies if that was the case.

See you in Tyria and thanks again !

Just wish they would fix tab targeting, then maybe I could fight the mob in front of me instead of the one down the street.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    Just wish they would fix tab targeting, then maybe I could fight the mob in front of me instead of the one down the street.
    That's probably a trademark feature. It must be: this "behaviour" is present since Guild Wars 1.