Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    This is a great, well thought out, post. I couldn't agree more. I find myself growing less attached to WoW and MMOs everyday. I'm just growing up and finding myself not so much into it.

Another day, another thread thinking it holds the key to everything. Sigh.

#conjectureandopinions

The "age of MMO's" hasn't ended. The sky isn't falling. Move on with your life if you no longer hold an interest. It ABSOLUTELY doesn't mean no one else does.

I don't know if you want some discussion about children of the 80-90s generation or the existence of Generation II MMOs in a modern market that appears to be dying (which it isn't.). You seem to be missing half your brain.

There is no way that the business is dying. WoW is still an extremely successful MMO that hauls in AT LEAST $114,000,000 USD from subscriptions alone in a -month- (That's $1,368,000,000 USD a year, not counting side transactions.). I don't play it anymore, but that doesn't mean I can ignore its ongoing success.

Now, the market is being flooded with other MMOs, but they're certainly not a dying breed. The only reason Blizzard is losing subscribers is really their own fault and the fact that they have such a large market to compete with. Players are becoming more spread out, but definitely not less in numbers. (If anything, the numbers of MMO gamers has only increased.).

3DS FC: 0877-1538-7893
    PM if you add me!

Deleted
    MMOs are declining, but they will not die, but the future will probably be dominated by mobas and stuff like that. Moderns players strive for fast-food fun and I doubt the turbulent modern life will bring the new players to the mmo games that have this "time barrier".

Wargaming with World of Tanks they got the courage to not copy wow and explore new ways in the mmo genre and have been repayed by players.
    yep, WoT is beyond awesome. Im picking up more my Panther II than my warlock this days.

Deleted
    i still think wow is good and the best of all mmos on the market, wotlk has been the best expansion that i have played, and i dont like grinding either thats why i liked vanilla becouse you could level with doing quests and not grinding weeks on a single enemy to get a level. problem what i think in wow now is with patch 5.4 i dont like grinding so shaoshao rep grinding is crap and when i have done LFR on wednesday there isnt nothing else to do

the subscriptions only drop when there isnt anything to do, after everyone has geared up (and not even get all gear becouse next patch will give beter gear so no point getting all) and done all rep grind they will unsub and wait for new patch
    Last edited by mmoc8261488f54; 2013-09-28 at 10:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who cares about "MMO era end". Game is still fun for me, i love to raid and see what's new in my favorite universe (well almost favorite, warhammer 40k is always no.1, i can't believe we don't have mmo yet ) that's why i play it.

Deleted
    World of Tanks is not a mmo and it is a grind feast

What I'm trying to say is... its not the game that changed, its you
    Fundamentally, the game hasn't changed at all, and that's why WoW became boring and stale and not worth paying a monthly sub for. That's why me and most of my friends have quit playing...

The age of MMO hasn't ended. The age of mainstream MMO might have though. At the very worst, the MMO market will return to its roots and cater for a more hardcore RPG audience, which in itself is not an entirely bad thing because the 'bad old days' of MMO's were actually pretty fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppressionix805 View Post
    is this you're assesment on WoWs market? because the MMO market as a whole is huge, still rivals Moba games, and FPS games
    But the subscription MMO market is stagnating since 2009. New F2P MMOs are however, a different subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    The age of MMO hasn't ended. The age of mainstream MMO might have though. At the very worst, the MMO market will return to its roots and cater for a more hardcore RPG audience, which in itself is not an entirely bad thing because the 'bad old days' of MMO's were actually pretty fun
    Nope, won't happen. To cater for a more hardcore audience means you will sell less (thanks, cap'n), and since the development costs of games in general are through the roof now, you simply won't sell enough.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Deleted
    Why are 99% of posts on these forum stating with "Why" are nonsence?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmn View Post
    Why are 99% of posts on these forum stating with "Why" are nonsence?
    It is not all non-sense, but OP is mixing a lot of it with correct stuff. However, entangling both would be a titanic job -_-
    MMO player

Deleted
    Opening post's title: "Why the Age of MMO's has ended"

Opening post's content: OP's yadda-yadda about World of Warcraft.

Such a shame that the only internet-produced evaluation mark for this kind of OP is a homophobic slur.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    it peaked a few years ago, its been on a downward spiral since then
    According to you. That isn't a fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    According to you. That isn't a fact.
    Actually, this one is (assuming we're talking about subscription-based MMOs that is):
    http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/TotalSubs.png
    MMO player

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    it peaked a few years ago, its been on a downward spiral since then
    "Someone pointed out a defining flaw in OP's drivel!"

"Quick! For the sole purpose of disagreeing with an incoming bandwagon to stay cool and hip I GOT to find a counter-argument, even if it means pulling one from my own bakside! YEAH!"

Never change. MMO-Champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Actually, this one is (assuming we're talking about subscription-based MMOs that is):
    http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/TotalSubs.png
    Seeing how recent years have been the dawn of an era for a Free-to-play + point-purchased DLC -type of MMOs, I'm not really surprised. However still, if someone equals 'TRUE & HONEST MMO' with 'subscription-based', then I can only weep over his stupidity.
    Last edited by mmocbbd6f38251; 2013-09-28 at 12:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lot of truth in Op post.

Hard to deal with tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Are you serious? By far the stupidest post on these fourms.
    Actually I have to sign this. What the heck is wrong with the OP? WoW is just a game you play with friends and depending on your dedication level you can mix it up. It could be any other game that you enjoy playing.

Deleted
    You're getting old, that's it. It's not about dying, where do you people live? It's dying, it's not dying ... it's a game, play it, enjoy it. It's like saying skiing is dying and I'm going to tell you why ... If you like it, play it. Who cares what has the most consumers in the world, if you want the most popular thing go to McDonald's and live your life there. People discover new things that excite them, that's how the world evolves, but some stay and enjoy what was popular in the past. It's the same thing with everything, like music for instance, Rock 'n' Roll "died" decades ago, but people still enjoy it and go to concerts and such.

If you enjoy it, play it and don't think about what is popular, because this is exactly why people are going insane in the world, because they want to fit in the most and are not sure what it is, since the world is rapidly expanding when it comes to new things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Lot of truth in Op post.

Hard to deal with tho.
    It only has 'truth' to it if you live in the "WoW is the only MMO worthy of investing time and money in"-bubble. A good few games improved on WoW/EQ2 schematics to become more ingrained in the human thinking process and - even if no MMORPG came close to beating WoW in populace - they, along with MMO market, flourish.