Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Pretty much this, provide a free market for insurance companies for those who want to sign health insurances that covers private care as well.

Me and my girlfriend are insured with Trygghansa and it costs us $60/month(30 each) for all types of private medical care, any other private treatment, surgery and hospitalization, travel and accommodation, aftercare, medical utilities, crisis therapy and most importantly financial compensation for the time I might end up being hospitalized.
    Indeed, I get coverage from work (everywhere I've worked provides the same plan), through Manulife. Covers dental (non-cosmetic), up to 90% of prescriptions $5 minimum copay, eye exams and up to $200 every 2 years for glasses, physio therapy even massage therapy, long term disability up to a year and I don't pay a dime towards it. In Canada, it's just one of those things that employers are generally expected to provide and in Alberta when there's a labor shortage, you won't get anyone to work for you if you don't have it lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    They need a poor peoples uninsured hospital and also a hospital for the rest of society. I pay a shit ton of money out of my own pocket for health care coverage and should get better service than someone without coverage who just shows up in the emergency room for some bullshit cough.

No what is needed is coverage for EVERYONE. And just because you pay thousands currently doesnt mean you get anything. here is a hint that is due to it being in a for profit system and they dont make $$$ on you unless they can cut down what you are getting in healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Stopped reading, too long. Health care is a basic human right.
    Having a runny nose treated in an emergency room is not a right.

Cut the military budget in half. Insure every US citizen with that half.
    So put 50% of service members out of work to... Pay for "universal health care" with tax payer dollars? No.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Personally I like the Free market model.
    There has never once in the entire span of human history been a free market in healthcare.

The free market requires an informed populace on the subject, which we don't have. Multiple choices, which we don't have as each choice is effectively the same as the last. And the option to do without which we don't have......

You can NEVER have a free market for critical services by their very nature.

Quote Originally Posted by StormFX View Post
    It's also gross hyperbole and boils down to education. Going to an ER for the sniffles is hardly an efficient way for a person to get the care they need promptly to begin with...but that's also what triage is for. It's not like someone with a cough is going to be seen before someone with life threatening injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    You can NEVER have a free market for critical services by their very nature.
    /has a heart attack
    /ambulance arrives
    /takes me to a hospital.
    Me: nah, I don't like this one, take me to the next one.

/rolleyes face

edit: sorry, if it wasn't clear I was agreeing with the comment I quoted.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Personally I like the Free market model.
    Personally - I prefer the model where everyone has the right to life, not just unborn babies.

Free market just doesn't work for human rights..

So put 50% of service members out of work to... Pay for "universal health care" with tax payer dollars? No.
    Shouldn't NEED to be treated in an emergency room.

Service members? I won't shed a single tear.

Shouldn't NEED to be treated in an emergency room.

eh, service members aren't all the devil. Some of them are doing it because it's the only work they can find. Perhaps cut military spending to companies like Raytheon, Boeing, General Atomics and Lockheed Martin before cutting service men. How many Predators and Tomahawks can they do without to save the lives of some people who had to sell their homes to pay for chemo.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-09-29 at 04:32 AM.

Of course you won't. Long as you get your free shit.

Put the US healthcare model on single payer. We could get drastically better service for less than 50% of the cost.

We could get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, the congressional and presidential healthcare programs and remove the VA Hospitals and delegate the VA to just dealing with benefits only as ALL OF THAT would become redundant and unneeded.

We would remove a whole section of healthcare buildings related to insurance paperwork and remove health insurance and all which would cut costs by over 25% right there. Businesses could not longer try and cut your hours to avoid doing their jobs to you and they couldn't hold it over your head. The bankruptcy rates in the US alone would plummet...

And to the guys talking about cutting military funding, that would be easy without having to cut single person. Single payer would remove the healthcare costs to the military which cuts the costs and pass laws barring them from using private contractors to build their parts and put them back in control of building it themselves like they used to. It would remove the profit motive and remove a lot of pork barrel spending when they can't use it to give their friends big paychecks. Trust me, the military blows billions of dollars it does not need to thanks to private contractors building all their stuff.

Taxes.

10cahr

Each to his own.

If the American public chooses a free market system its up to them. If the American voters chose something else, that is their prerogative too. All that as long as they don't try to export their system to other countries.

If Europeans and the rest of the world chooses a socialized system that is their right too.

But the system that yields better results has both public bragging rights and the right to frown upon the other system, because not adopting the better system is illogical.

Also Healthcare results aren't to be measured in expense of treatments, money spent or profits turned, but rather its impact on public health.

Military isn't free shit. I'm voicing my opinion on where my tax money should go.

Cap malpractice suits to bring down the cost of malpractice insurance for docs and staff for starters. Stop treating non-US citizens that are here illegally beyond stabilizing them enough to be shipped back to their home country.

From their IMO you have three choices issue everyone national ID cards and they can present them at VA centers (or other gov't run hospitals) and get free treatment, or federalize all hospitals and do away with the private insurance all together or leave it as is and restrict those that cant pay to stabilization procedure only.

I dont see healthcare as a human right, nor is cutting the DoD budget by 50% remotely a good idea.

Lastly I'd cap how much gov't assistance you get based to the number of kids you have when you start receiving it, have more tough, and if you live in gov't housing you are subject to no-notice inspections fail to keep the place up kicked out and all assistance stopped.

Cap malpractice suits to bring down the cost of malpractice insurance for docs and staff for starters. Stop treating non-US citizens that are here illegally beyond stabilizing them enough to be shipped back to their home country.
    Texas cut back on patients' legal recourse and it didn't lower prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Texas cut back on patients' legal recourse and it didn't lower prices.
    I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Each to his own.

If the American public chooses a free market system its up to them. If the American voters chose something else, that is their prerogative too. All that as long as they don't try to export their system to other countries.

If Europeans and the rest of the world chooses a socialized system that is their right too.

But the system that yields better results has both public bragging rights and the right to frown upon the other system, because not adopting the better system is illogical.

Also Healthcare results aren't to be measured in expense of treatments, money spent or profits turned, but rather its impact on public health.
    That's the funny thing, most people I have met WANT single payer for healthcare, I might seen one person who honestly wants it like it was (Not calling it free market cause it wasn't, isn't and never will be) I see at least 20 who wants single payer and the ones who want the old way typically end up being among the same people who think prayer healing is very effective medicine, and not just for the mental aspect of it, or the ones afraid of gays taking their rights not to see gays get the right to get married (if you didn't pick up the irony of this statement, please, think it over....)

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Taxes.

10cahr
    Context.

Military isn't free shit. I'm voicing my opinion on where my tax money should go.
    I wasn't implying that the military was free. But if you'd rather put even more people out of work so the government can squander your tax dollars, so be it. But leave mine alone.

I wasn't implying that the military was free. But if you'd rather put even more people out of work so the government can squander your tax dollars, so be it. But leave mine alone.
    The irony here is delicious.

You can't cut the military! The government will just squander the money!