Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard response to botting

I recently submitted the following ticket:

A friend of mine has been botting excessively in BGs for a long time, you need to investigate the account with the character (name)-(realm). I would greatly prefer he not be banned permanantely, but this behavior really needs to end.

GM Response:

Greetings xxxxx,

I'm Game Master xxxxxxxxx. I definitely understand your frustration with your friend botting. >_< I also *really* appreciate hte report The issue is that our system currently isn't set up to address bot reports via tickets anymore. Instead, we use the right-click report method to investigate bots.

In essence, all that players have to do is select them, right-click their portrait, and select "Report Player For" -> "Cheating". Once we get it, we'll do our best to take a look into the issue! It's easy as pie for players, and helps us track these issues more easily and efficiently.

I know that this doesn't help in this specific case, but don't worry - players *hate* bots in BGs, so we'll get plenty of AFK and bot reports about this.

Thanks for your time, and have a good one!
    -------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind this guy has been BG botting all day, every day, for weeks now. Clearly "report player for -> cheating" is either way too slow or just totally ineffective. And now they ignore direct ticket reports, this guy will probably never get caught. I am starting to wonder, could they be deliberately ignoring cheaters to avoid losing subs by banning people? Is this GM actually helpless to do anything about it?

Edit: Lets clear a few things up

The point of this thread is to analyze blizzards new response to botting, not to focus on the fact that it is a friend of mine that happened to get reported.

Second, I asked him to stop quite a few times first. He knows very well my position on cheating, he hates cheaters too, but he cares only for himself.

Third, this 'grand betrayal' of mine only harms my friend in a video game, and even then I asked for just a slap on the wrist.
    Last edited by Trisrx; 2013-09-30 at 12:18 AM.

Blizzard bans bots in waves, once they figure out how the current generation of bots works and how to disable them.

This is new and exciting. Try doing a search on a topic that's been beaten to death for years.

You reported your own friend? That's.. really shitty of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    Ive been an admin for years on various games, being my friend never saved anyone, people get what they earn

Quote Originally Posted by Trisrx View Post
    Ive been an admin for years on various games, being my friend never saved anyone, people get what they earn
    Yeah, shitty friend you are.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Deleted
    I'm sure you have many.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Yeah, shitty friend you are.
    are you saying that he should let them cheat ?

Do you think if someone is reported for cheating they should be insta-banned? I'm sure there are a lot of account ahead of your friends account that need to be investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by vipers View Post
    are you saying that he should let them cheat ?
    Deal with things in house when possible, if you need to tattle then you shouldn't classify him as a "friend".
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

blizzard keeps track of all botters, study their access and movements, discover what bots they are using, and find a way to stop them from working.

than they ban all the botters in a huge wave.

it's a much more intelligent approach than just banning whoever you discover that's botting, even though it's a slower method. sometimes, you must let bad stuff happen for the greater good.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearmode View Post
    I'm sure you have many.
    Plenty, and almost all of them know better than to ruin things for other people to benefit themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly my thoughts. What a douche to report your own friend for botting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

you're no friend of mine op

I am starting to wonder, could they be deliberately ignoring cheaters to avoid losing subs by banning people?
    Blizzard bans bots, not botters. There's pretty big difference between the two on philosophical level.

Is this GM actually helpless to do anything about it?
    Nope. He helped you by telling what you should do to report the botter.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I recently submitted the following ticket:

A friend of mine has been botting excessively in BGs for a long time, you need to investigate the account with the character (name)-(realm). I would greatly prefer he not be banned permanantely, but this behavior really needs to end.
    No offense but I think you aren't a good buddy if you report your friends. Sure you are jelly because you work hard and he doesn't but come on bro. Lot of my friends bot and we talk about it all the time on skype but I see no reason to get them banned. Why the hell? It doesn't benefit you in any way. Gogo report all the strangers that bot who cares but don't treat friends like that

Exactly my point.

Deleted
    I think the GM is right, a personal message claiming botting really don't hold water. I would guess the report cheating function activates a surviallence program, which would eventually end with a mass ban of all bots that are like it?

Deleted
    You're beyond lame and pathetic

Post constructively, please
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-09-30 at 03:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe his friend wont tell him how to use the program and so the op reported him out of spite lol
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

I think botting is cancer, and I wouldn't report a friend for it. I have a friend who's leveled 3 toons that way, and botted to gear them. (Honestly, I can't really blame him)