Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help sticking to a main

Hey I've been playing WoW since vanilla and tbh I still really enjoy playing it, made some great friends and been in some fun guilds however in my 301 days played I haven't managed to stick on a character long enough and it really bothers me that I can't stick to one, it affects the raid team i'm in and how well I can develop my character. I currently have 10 lvl 90s with an average ilvl across all of them of 501 (544 and 534 being my highest).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice and/or if they were in the same situation as me and found something that worked for you?

thanks for reading,
    Lightplay

Deleted
    play the one you enjoy the most. simple

I know what you mean. For me, a lot of the fun is maximizing gear and getting the right pieces and once you have it all together...now that toon is less interesting and I like to move along to another one.

I would just say that as long as your guild is fine with it and you're actively helping your raid move forward, I would just have fun. A lot of people play different toons and that's how they enjoy the game. I wont' tell you to pick one because I know what you mean. Switching from rogue to priest to warlock to paladin is fun to me. I have stuck with paladin pretty hard for a while, but I dabble quite a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    play the one you enjoy the most. simple
    This would probably be the best advice. Figure out which role (dps/healer/tank) you like. Then do you like melee DPS more or range DPS? Or a bunch of HoTs or single casted heals? etc. etc. Divide it up and just play whichever you most enjoy. You can also have a class you like for PvE more or a class you like for PvP more, just depends.

Deleted
    thans for the advice so far

It's like this:

You should want to master the class inside and out, and you should also want that character to be absolutely perfect. I'm talking a lot of achievements, good gear for both PVP and PVE and accomplished in those, etc.

I never understand why people want 10 characters that are all half assed.

maybe they want them so they can lvl all the professions up.

A lot of people have that syndrome. Get bored with one,return to another for a while, and then get bored with it again, then go another one. However I only switch usually half way of the expansion. Id say have a game plan. Focus on one character till you get it to an ilvl you are satisfied with. Once you reach that goal, hop on to your 2nd favorite and only focus on your 2nd and 1st. and so on and so on

I usualy tries to lock myself to 1 class/ Patch, for the guilds sake. So when u enter soo for example the guild KNOWs they have you there on the class u have decided, then play the other 9 outside of raids, and if u start to enjoi one more than any other then u know u can Main that char in 5.5 or when Soo is on farm, but dont change mid patch unless asked by RL..

as RL i know i have a few ppl like you in my guild (me included) and sometimes you just feel the composition in the raid is less optimal and then its great with ppl that arent butthurt if u ask them to main something else...

Deleted
    I used to play my druid solely, and nothing else, but over the years it has become boring and I switched to Paladin during Throne of Thunder.

What I have been doing throughout the years of playing though is to e.g. do progression raiding on my main (druid), and alot of alt runs on the other characters I liked to play, usually Priest, Paladin, Shaman and now Monk as well (I like hybrids). There is always 1 character that is better geared, and does heroics, whereas the other ones aren't, but it gives me needed 'change of scenery' that I need to enjoy myself in the game.

Works for me, might not work for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It's like this:

You should want to master the class inside and out, and you should also want that character to be absolutely perfect. I'm talking a lot of achievements, good gear for both PVP and PVE and accomplished in those, etc.

Jokes on you, I have 11 half-assed characters.

It's because of situations like OP's.
    You get bored of a main class and then want to test the others, but can't settle on one.

I've played since 1.8, and while I still love the game itself, and the environments and the music and the instances and pvp (when you can find balanced teams) I find myself extremely bored of the classes and their individual mechanics.

Monk might have saved me if not for the fact that I mained rogue in vanilla and BC and non-MW just feels like a better rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It's like this:

It's a game, you don't have to play it any set way. Not everyone is going to want to do it the way you do.

If the OP doesn't really feel a pull towards playing that way then they just don't, maybe they'd do better looking for a guild/environment that lets them play the way they enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, play less. Find others games to play so that you don't end up playing so many chars in WoW. I tend to not have more than 1 alt at a decent gear level now as I'm spending about half my gaming time on other games now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are looking at this problem from the wrong perspective and giving wrong advice.
    You need to find out NOT what is the most 'fun' to play, but what is least 'crap'.

Queue long and boring explanation:
    The number of classes is irrelevant.
    There are 3 roles in the game: healing, damage dealing, tanking.
    Now, think what pisses you off the most while grouped with other people:
    If you are a healer, does it piss you off when tank dies in 1second before you realise he took the damage? Don't play a healer.
    If you are a tank, does it piss you off when you get no heals for 5mins and die then the group kills the boss? Don't play a tank.
    If you are a DPS, does it piss you off you have to tank mobs and then die from 1% dmg each tick after 5mins because you received no healing? Don't play a DPS.
    Now think which of the 3 you can deal with on a daily basis, and choose the role you want to play.
    Onwards.
    Now think about your gameplay during combat:
    Do you hate running around, chasing stuff to kill all the time? Melee with limited mobility is out of the question.
    Do you hate having to cancel spellcast just to move out of fire on ground? Casters might not be for you.
    Do you hate to wait for damage to appear while watching castbar filling up? Casters might not be for you.
    Do you hate to see average numbers and no big crits? Class with low burst might not be for you.
    Do you hate to switch targets because you have to reapply debuffs/dots? Class with ramp up time might not be for you.
    Do you hate to die to stupid shit you could avoid with defensive cooldowns? Might want to avoid playing class that has weak/no defensive cooldowns/immunities.
    Do you hate to die to steady damage because healers are just too lazy to heal you once? Might want to play a class with some sort of self healing.
    Do you hate buggy pet AI? Don't play a class with pets.
    Do you hate to push 1-3 buttons 24/7? Don't play a class with simple rotation.

Things outside of combat:
    Do you hate to wait for people to do a corpse run? Might want to play a class with resurection ability.
    Do you hate your 'slow' mount? Might want to play a class that can increase mount speed .
    Do you hate to have to travel everywhere? Might want to look at classes with teleportation.
    Do you hate to sit around waiting for tank/healer/dps? Might want to play a class with several possible roles.
    Do you hate long queue times for PvE? Might want to play tank/healer.

Solo play:
    Do you hate not being able to solo elites/rares? Might want to play a class good at soloing.
    Do you hate not being able to do old raids? Might want to play a class good at soloing.
    Do you hate to be a healer and do poor damage while soloing? Might want to play a healer class with caster DPS spec.
    Do you hate to be a tank and do poor damage while soloing? Don't play a tank.

Hope this helps you,
    and this gave me a great idea.
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2013-09-30 at 07:35 AM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Thanks so much guys really given me some stuff to work with. hopefully I can sort it out. nice to see a variety of opinions aswell and people in my situation!.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightplay View Post
    Thanks so much guys really given me some stuff to work with. hopefully I can sort it out. nice to see a variety of opinions aswell and people in my situation!.
    I was torn between warrior and hunter, and using the 'what is most fun' method didn't work. So I used my method, playing hunter as main.
    PM me weird stuff :3

I am exactly the same way; I just can't stick to any character for a prolonged period of time. Maybe try getting as emotionally invested in the character as you can? Might be harder to abandon it later on if you succeed.

My frequent switching of characters has become something of a joke in my guild.

My rule? I always end up back on the pally. May as well give into it.

But...

Being able to teleport everywhere is so convenient! (Mained my mage for ToT).
    Green fire is sweet, and so is my challenge mode set! (Played my warlock hardcore for the past few weeks).
    Sheeeit, I'm so mobile on my monk! (Tanked through Lei Shen on him as BM, but loved DPS as well, soloing machine, this one).
    Ascendance looks awesome as elemental! And water walking? I'm there! (Leveling my shaman through all of this in fits and starts).

And invariably, I always end up back on the pally.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can somewhat relate to OP's situation albeit i started in WotLK and I'm barely committed to scheduled raiding.
    in late wotlk/Cata i mostly played and geared my hunter. Now in MoP i mostly geared my Shaman (and recently raided current-content normals with him during my break) but i don't even play him 50% of the time while i'm in-game, and instead work on gearing/maxing out my 9 other alts that don't include at least 5 non-max leveled alts.

Oh the pains of being a hardcore -casual- altoholic ):

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Totally read the title as "Need help sticking it to the man" at first.