Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    The term casual and hard core IMO are both kinda silly. I have a brother in law that thinks I was hard core for having a 90 lol (guy has a lvl 23 druid), then again you could say that LFR guys aren't casual just because the queue is almost an hour, then you wipe for 2 or 3 hours, which is almost a raid night for the guild you mentioned OP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    And then Raiding heroic mode 4 hours a day 4 days a week and requiring being there without deviation and with everything prepared and done optimally.

Some people have to get their priorities straight, they can't be both casual and hard core, decide.
    Casual schedule, hardcore mindset.

Completely possible, and should be encouraged.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Don't join if you don't like it.

Deleted
    I believe what defines a guild is a combination of attitude and time spent. I'm a semi-casual guild, two days a week, but we also have reasonable heroic progression every tier, benching low performers and strict attendance policy. there are some guilds who raid 3-4 times a week and don't clear normals - for me they are casuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    This guy knows math lol.
    I just had to post in here to say that I feel sorry for you. You have Mark Ingram and Tony Romo.

If you raid more than 2 nights at 2 hours a night, that's hardcore to me. TO ME.

All you hardcore mother fuckers is puttin' in work. Now hurry up and queue for LFR so you can semi-carry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    This. ITT a bunch of people who don't know what the prefix "semi" actually means.
    "It is a demonstration of incomprehensible hubris to quote one's self, especially in one's own forum signature."
    ¬PetersenIII

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well..since "semi" means half, then "semi-casual" equals "semi-hardcore", right? Or what is the inbetween? Is there a "semi-normal"?
    Usually you semi-upgrade, so if saying Semi-Casual, to me, means that half the time they are casual, the other half they are completely n00b. So... sometimes they LFR, the other times they RP in goldshire. That's really how i took it when I clicked the link.

Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    I just had to post in here to say that I feel sorry for you. You have Mark Ingram and Tony Romo.
    Wtf is the deal with Mark Ingram. I drafted him like fucking 10th or something and he's so shitty. Tony Romo is stable okay, everyone else in my league drafted their QBs rounds 2-3 lol...I didn't get mine till 6th or 7th.

To stay on topic so I don't get infracted, yeah I agree that it's hard to define hardcore/casual since it's subjective to many people. I saw a comment that to be hardcore you have to actually progress. It's weird, but ya it's true. You can raid 40 hours a week but if you don't kill any bosses no one will consider you hardcore. Weird how the world works.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    This. ITT a bunch of people who don't know what the prefix "semi" actually means.
    Once again, Semi can mean half, semi can mean partial. Reading comprehension is just as important as usage of language. Particularly in this day and age, the incorrect or abstract usage of words and made up words is so common on the internet that you have to just be coherent enough that people know what you are talking about. Any word you use is canon if people can understand your context, sticking your head in the sand and going BUT THE DEFINITION IS THIS!!! is not a valid argument if their intent is clear.

Semi-Hardcore = Not hardcore, not casual but identify more with hardcore. (May be hours, may be approach) For E.G. My guild raids low hours with a relatively casual attitude but we expect our players to be good and know whats going on and we kill alot of bosses so we're clearly somewhat hardcore... Could also be a guild that raids alot and makes progress through attrition but doesnt have strong requirements for their players. I.e. Time hardcore vs Skill Hardcore.

Semi-Casual = Not hardcore, not casual but identify more with casual. For E.G. could be a guild that raids long hours but doesnt really have expectations to get anywhere... They do it for fun and whatever they kill they kill. Could be a guild that raids few hours but wouldnt mind extending a bit when they are near a kill, so they still care about progress.

It's all about mindset anyway.

Actually when I had to write the semi casual thing it was much harder anyway... More sensible is non raiders... casual... average... semi hardcore ... hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Casual schedule, hardcore mindset.

Completely possible, and should be encouraged.
    4 hours a day 4 days a week is a casual schedule? Times have really changed.

I have lots of friends who have 10+ level 90s and most (if not all) are full LFR or BG geared... and these people play 4-5+ hours a day (20-30+ hours a week)...
    but because they don't do normal mode raiding or they don't do 1800+ arena they consider themselves in the casual crowd.

I have lots of friends who play 10 hours a week, and spend 90% of their time in normal/heroic raiding, and basically don't log in except to raid... and because they actually raid they are told they are in the hardcore crowd.

Blows my mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    As I said, it doesn't matter what you decide the meaning of the word is in this specific case. But hey, you're right, it's more sensible to apply made-up descriptions that vary from person to person (as this thread is clearly proof of) than the actual meaning of the word. You can call them different things, some people might agree with you. Hell, a lot of people might agree with you, it still doesn't make it right.

Actual truth is that you will find people who are only slightly casual and mostly hardcore who call themselves both semi-hardcore and semi-casual and you'll find people who are only slightly hardcore and mostly casual that will call themselves both semi-hardcore and semi-casual. Ergo, they're the same thing if you apply the broad views of the community, it's just your opinion that says otherwise.

My first post was written as 50% joke because it was meant to be humorous but it was still 100% true.

Edit:
    The labels are fairly useless overall, if you want to know you find out how they raid, not what they choose to label themselves. You can then apply your own values to what you're seeing. Frankly, labeling yourself as casual is quite useless too because there are wildly varying opinions on that too. The only one that I personally feel is accurate when people call themselves something is Hardcore, people don't call themselves hardcore unless they put the time in, raiding and otherwise.
    Last edited by Siri; 2013-10-02 at 12:20 AM.

Anything under 16 hours, to me, is casual for a schedule.

Requiring the people in your raid to be there has 0% to do with casual or hardcore, it has to do with being a punctual person and not a complete ass to the rest of the raid.

Deleted
    This forum is so predictable. They conveniently ignore part of the text of the thread to advance their opinion. I said whatever philosophies (or labels) you manufacture, you eventually end up harming your guild when you pretend you are casual when you are so strict at raiding, e.g. requiring absolute devotion to the preparation and killing heroic bosses as I have explicitly described in the OP, hence if you want to collect casuals that play clumsily, fine, but if you want to better your hard core (or "not casual") guild better hear my advice and start being honest to yourself, that you are no longer how you started years ago, a clueless player with low performance, you require high performance and devotion now so you better start advertising that if you want people like you in it.