Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Speculation: New Talent System

Hello.
    Talent system reward you with 1 talent point every 15 levels. Soon we will get new expansion. It will have probably 5-10 new lvl, and according to actual talent it wont give you new talent. But people expect to have new talent at the max lvl. So you think whole system will be redone ? Please share you ideas and opinions.

Spec-specific talnets in-between the current class-wide talents

Tier 1
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 2
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 3
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 4
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 5

These spec-specific talents could be talnets like (for Frost Death Knights)¨
    Tier 1 (Rolling Blood, Plague Leech, Unholy Blight)
    - Spec-specific talents: Might of The Frozen Wastes (increases Obliterate damage with all weapons), Threat of Thassarian (Increases Frost Strike damage with all weapons)
    Tier 2 (Lichborne, Anti Magic Zone, Purgatory)
    - Spec-specific talents: Acclimation (spell resistance to a school of magic after being hit by that school of magic), Frigid Dreadplate (Reduces chance to be hit)

4 tiers of class-specific talents might be a little overkill. 2 tiers would do maybe.

etc.

Considering blizzards track record, odds are they dumb it down even further. My guess is another "overhaul" that you hear about at blizzcon, where they might just remove talents altogether lol.

Deleted
    It doesn't really need to be redone. Just make it so that post lvl 90 you get a talent every 5 levels instead of every 15.

Deleted
    Sick of overhauls, every expansion it's been overhauled - let's keep it this way and build on it/improve it.

They can put the next talent at whatever level they like. DKs get their first three talents at 56, 57 and 58.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there'll be a new talent system. They can't rip much more out without just flat-out killing talents altogether and replacing them with expanded glyph choices.

It's more likely they'll expand the system, try to get you a tier every 10 levels instead of 15. Maybe make them have some spec-related talents again as well.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

They can simply add a talent at max level. It's not like they are forced by some law of nature/physics to only add 1 talent every 15 levels.
    Last edited by Marahdeka; 2013-10-03 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

I think it should work like a tree again, but with the idea of the current talent design. First tier choices should be the specs themselves. So for example for Death Knights, the first tier of talents would be Blood, Frost and Unholy. Then if you pick Blood, the next tier could drop down with a new set of choices based off the first choice of Blood. There could be 1 talent choice that is exclusive to Blood and maybe 1 that is shared with Frost and 1 shared with Unholy(or some variation of this) and if you picked Frost, Frost could have an exclusive but 1 shared with Blood and 1 Shared with Unholy. So each tier would have 3 exclusive talents, 1 Blood/Frost, 1 Blood/Unholy, and 1 Frost Unholy, but of course only the ones relevant to your first choice would show up.

Also they could get rid of Major Glyphs and a lot of those could become exclusive talent choices and minor glyphs could just become the standard for glyphs where they only do fun things or add a different cosmetic to abilities and they would just need to make a lot more of these than they currently have now.
    Last edited by Deech86; 2013-10-03 at 08:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lomak View Post
    Considering blizzards track record, odds are they dumb it down even further. My guess is another "overhaul" that you hear about at blizzcon, where they might just remove talents altogether lol.
    Can people stop with this nonsense?

The old talent trees were dumb. They were brainless. 5% more damage done? Well who the hell isn't going to take that? Face it, all we had were cookie-cutter specs that you had to follow to be someone that anyone would take with in a PuG or raid. You had to. Some talent trees had one or two optional talents but they weren't optional abilities, they simply provided something more, such as more of a resource or more of a DoT or more of a critical strike chance that should have been baked in.

What is more pointless than that? What take less thought than cookie-cutter talent builds that give you straight bonuses that you'd be an idiot not to take?

Today's talent tree? Well I spec into Death's Advance for Immerseus and Protectors as it makes both fights pretty easy for me in terms of mobility. I spec out of it into Asphyxiate for Galakras. I also change out Plague Leech into Unholy Blight for Galakras as it makes keeping diseases up on all of the waves very very easy. Back to Death's Advance for Iron Juggernaut...

...see where I am going with this? See how the new talent trees are superior? Instead of pointless "% damage increased" talents that you have to take they provide a lot of situational abilities that are swapped out on the fly to make your character more useful in situations they encounter. I am of greater value to my raid because I can switch out abilities that help me move faster or allow me to take on a role (like stunning Bonecrushers on Galakras with Asphyxiate) that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to, at least not easily.

OT: I suspect they'll reorder the levels at which we take talents since that'd have no impact on already level 90's.

We never got a max level ability since we got a max level talent.

If they increase the level cap by 5, then they could make it such that we receive a max level ability and keep the talent system.

TBH, I think the only issue with current talent trees are how few tiers there are.

Overall though I think our current system is great and I hope they keep it.

It's clear some talents have very impactful talents and some are just minor. It'd be nice to see a talent for every 10 levels, with every second tier being a major tier and every other being a minor.

That would give I guess 9 tiers overall rather than 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marahdeka View Post
    They can simply add a talent at max level. It's not like they are forced by some law of nature/physics to only add 1 talent every 15 levels.
    Or they can just change the level spread from 15 to 10. Kills two birds with one stone there.

*Players feel like they get more powerful faster. Because 3 more tiers of talents.

*Players feel like Blizz is making classes more interesting because something was /added/ for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

The old talent trees were dumb. They were brainless. 5% more damage done? Well who the hell isn't going to take that? Face it, all we had were cookie-cutter specs that you had to follow to be someone that anyone would take with in a PuG or raid. You had to. Some talent trees had one or two optional talents but they weren't optional abilities, they simply provided something more, such as more of a resource or more of a DoT or more of a critical strike chance that should have been baked in.

What is more pointless than that? What take less thought than cookie-cutter talent builds that give you straight bonuses that you'd be an idiot not to take?

Today's talent tree? Well I spec into Death's Advance for Immerseus and Protectors as it makes both fights pretty easy for me in terms of mobility. I spec out of it into Asphyxiate for Galakras. I also change out Plague Leech into Unholy Blight for Galakras as it makes keeping diseases up on all of the waves very very easy. Back to Death's Advance for Iron Juggernaut...

...see where I am going with this? See how the new talent trees are superior? Instead of pointless "% damage increased" talents that you have to take they provide a lot of situational abilities that are swapped out on the fly to make your character more useful in situations they encounter. I am of greater value to my raid because I can switch out abilities that help me move faster or allow me to take on a role (like stunning Bonecrushers on Galakras with Asphyxiate) that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to, at least not easily.

OT: I suspect they'll reorder the levels at which we take talents since that'd have no impact on already level 90's.
    How about you stop with your convenient, populous, close-minded opinion. Not every talent in the old system was +/-% this or that. There was plenty of room for further specialization and niche-specs, and it was fun to study and figure out what would work best for you, specifically.

It's all about opinion, experience, and perspective. I happen to think that changing one SPELL out for another depending on the fight is "dumb" and "brainless."

Quote Originally Posted by Wrien View Post
    Spec-specific talnets in-between the current class-wide talents

Tier 1
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 2
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 3
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 4
    - Spec-specific talents
    Tier 5

These spec-specific talents could be talnets like (for Frost Death Knights)¨
    Tier 1 (Rolling Blood, Plague Leech, Unholy Blight)
    - Spec-specific talents: Might of The Frozen Wastes (increases Obliterate damage with all weapons), Threat of Thassarian (Increases Frost Strike damage with all weapons)
    Tier 2 (Lichborne, Anti Magic Zone, Purgatory)
    - Spec-specific talents: Acclimation (spell resistance to a school of magic after being hit by that school of magic), Frigid Dreadplate (Reduces chance to be hit)

4 tiers of class-specific talents might be a little overkill. 2 tiers would do maybe.

etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deech86 View Post
    I think it should work like a tree again, but with the idea of the current talent design. First tier choices should be the specs themselves. So for example for Death Knights, the first tier of talents would be Blood, Frost and Unholy. Then if you pick Blood, the next tier could drop down with a new set of choices based off the first choice of Blood. There could be 1 talent choice that is exclusive to Blood and maybe 1 that is shared with Frost and 1 shared with Unholy(or some variation of this) and if you picked Frost, Frost could have an exclusive but 1 shared with Blood and 1 Shared with Unholy. So each tier would have 3 exclusive talents, 1 Blood/Frost, 1 Blood/Unholy, and 1 Frost Unholy, but of course only the ones relevant to your first choice would show up.

Also they could get rid of Major Glyphs and a lot of those could become exclusive talent choices and minor glyphs could just become the standard for glyphs where they only do fun things or add a different cosmetic to abilities and they would just need to make a lot more of these than they currently have now.
    Both ideas are quite nice.
    Blizzcon is near so we'll find out soon whether they'll change the talent system again or not.

Simple. Bump the level cap to 100 and change the talents to be every 14 levels instead of 15. We get a new seventh tier at 98.

Deleted
    just add a new set of talents at what ever the max level is ?

Its not the law that it has to be a patterm

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    How about you stop with your convenient, populous, close-minded opinion. Not every talent in the old system was +/-% this or that. There was plenty of room for further specialization and niche-specs, and it was fun to study and figure out what would work best for you, specifically.

It's all about opinion, experience, and perspective. I happen to think that changing one SPELL out for another depending on the fight is "dumb" and "brainless."
    Oh yeah ? Except for the 31/41 points which gave abilities, what other talent didn't give +% damage ?

If you believe that you had more choices, then you're either dishonest or filled with nostalgia to an unhealthy level.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

Why does people keep with spreading such misinformation, if the old talent tree was dumb, why they keep it for 3 expansions? blizzard get sick trying to balance the old talent tree, it was more hard to balance that talent tree because they had to prevent some spec using other spec talents being op like in lich king druids healers with that balance druid dot in arena, or with feral charge, or half blood dk half unholy, etc and etc. What did they do? move most of the talent tree in to spec passive and call gg.

Not everybody is a dk, other class have cookie cutter builds because they fail again to balance the talent tree. http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/stat...0-0-0-0-0.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Simple. Bump the level cap to 100 and change the talents to be every 14 levels instead of 15. We get a new seventh tier at 98.
    Or.... bump it to 95, keep it starting at 15, but give us a tier every 10 levels.