Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    FF8 was good on it's own, but when compared to others it just falls by the wayside.

4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 10-2 (storyline was meh, but the battle system was awesome albeit a bit girly), 11 (yeah it had a story, but was a LONG and difficult journey), 13 were all good in their own right but 4, 6, 7, 9 and 11 are my favorites. I never played 1, 2, 3 or 5 sadly... never got my hands on any English translations.

X was my favorite, X-2 story was cliche but I liked the new character development of yuna going guns blazing and the battle system was great.

12 is the worst FF of all times. No argument!

13 was decent, 13-2 was just confusing but 13-3 is going to be amazing I am excited.

And then 15 is suppose to have a gay guy part of the main cast. EXCITEMENT

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    And then 15 is suppose to have a gay guy part of the main cast. EXCITEMENT
    Is it the blonde guy? Because I'm gonna side-eye that really hard, but ultimately accept it because EH BETTER THAN NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    Is it the blonde guy? Because I'm gonna side-eye that really hard, but ultimately accept it because EH BETTER THAN NOTHING.
    Unconfirmed but I think its the big guy with the leather jacket and no shirt

http://8th-circuit.com/sites/default...0x262/ff15.jpg

but yea if the blonde is the gay one thats just

-_-

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Unconfirmed but I think its the big guy with the leather jacket and no shirt

http://8th-circuit.com/sites/default...0x262/ff15.jpg

but yea if the blonde is the gay one thats just

-_-
    Gotta cater to those Cloud fanfics somehow I guess.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's not that it was complex, it was just really really uninteresting and bordering on nonsensical (even for a FF game!)

Also, FF8 marked the beginning of the series flavor seeming to cross the line into "modern technology". (Though FF9 backtracked over that line later) I know some people don't mind it, but the whole, "It's a world with modern day - or even more advanced - technology but we still fight with swords and magic." stuff is off-putting to me.

I felt like FF7 did a good job with that balance, but FF8 just ran right over the line for me.
    While i for one LOVED 8 and 9 but i am no fan of 7..AT ALL..I consider it one of the worse FF games....

While i for one LOVED 8 and 9 but i am no fan of 7..AT ALL..I consider it one of the worse FF games....
    Why do you feel that way about 7 honestly? It's lauded as on of the best RPG's ever, both from a story and gameplay perspective (it also had groundbreaking visuals in it's time), so I'm honestly interested in how or why someone would dislike it, what about it don't you like? Why do you like 8 and 9 more, etc... (Keep it objective if you can, I don't want this degenerating into an opinion flaming topic).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Why do you feel that way about 7 honestly? It's lauded as on of the best RPG's ever, both from a story and gameplay perspective (it also had groundbreaking visuals in it's time), so I'm honestly interested in how or why someone would dislike it, what about it don't you like? Why do you like 8 and 9 more, etc... (Keep it objective if you can, I don't want this degenerating into an opinion flaming topic).
    For me it was a number of things. I mean, my opinion of it is not helped by the fact that people fanboy over it so damn hard. I thought it was horrendous visually. It seemed to be an awkward attempt at transitioning from 2d to 3d. I honestly think they should have stuck with 2d and saved 3d for 8, because...

I'd keep going, but I'm sure somebody else would like a turn at the ol' punching bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    And just for the record - FFVII is only $5 on Steam for the Fanboys who appreciate it and don't want to dig it out along side their PSOne
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

For me it was a number of things. I mean, my opinion of it is not helped by the fact that people fanboy over it so damn hard. I thought it was horrendous visually. It seemed to be an awkward attempt at transitioning from 2d to 3d. I honestly think they should have stuck with 2d and saved 3d for 8, because...

I'd keep going, but I'm sure somebody else would like a turn at the ol' punching bag.
    I can respect that. I honestly think that when in the console generation (American consoles namesd only but you get my meaning NES, SNES, early Playstation, late Playstation, PS2, etc...) people were brought into RPG's has as much to do with what game people like as personal preference perhaps even more. I started with FF2 on SNES, which was actually FF4 so FF3 (FF6) was amazing visually with the cutscenes and stuff, and FF7 was a visual extravaganza compared to them. FF8 while it looked great just didn't click well for me, and I blame that on the Draw system but I still enjoyed it. I liked Drawing from monsters, but because you had to then slot the magic into a summon, and based on how many of that magic you had stored it affected your stats...it was a system that didn't really encourage magic use because it encouraged the drawing and stockpiling of a magic to keep your stats high. And in a game with a very central magic theme, being encouraged NOT to use magic just didn't sit right.

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    And just for the record - FFVII is only $5 on Steam for the Fanboys who appreciate it and don't want to dig it out along side their PSOne
    I might get it, I never bothered with 7

10+ Year Old Account
    I can respect that. I honestly think that when in the console generation (American consoles namesd only but you get my meaning NES, SNES, early Playstation, late Playstation, PS2, etc...) people were brought into RPG's has as much to do with what game people like as personal preference perhaps even more. I started with FF2 on SNES, which was actually FF4 so FF3 (FF6) was amazing visually with the cutscenes and stuff, and FF7 was a visual extravaganza compared to them.
    At that point it really just comes down to personal preference. FF4 was a pretty meh game for me, but then I got to FF6 and thought it was the most amazing thing I'd ever played. I think there was a big part of me that just didn't want the change to 3d, because 2d graphics were becoming increasingly refined and beautiful, and now suddenly we're back to really primitive and rough looking graphics with the change to 3d.

Mostly I just couldn't find any characters I liked in FF7 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welll first I played it later then most and after VIII and IX...Other then that I feel it is VERY overhyped and not necessarily worthy of it'a super high praise. Graphically even for thd time non FMV it's pretty bad... FMVs are nice but yeah.

I feel the story itself was not as entertaining and the world didn't grab me as VIII and IXs did...

Emotionally I played VIII and IX first LOL.

As an aside graphics aren't as big a deal to me as you might assume... I still fire up BoF games(Dragon Quarter aside) as well as play sprite based games and so on...I just didn't like hearing all this talk of OMG SO AMAZING and then finding a game that in general gameplay could be outdone.

- - - Updated - - -

I can respect that. I honestly think that when in the console generation (American consoles namesd only but you get my meaning NES, SNES, early Playstation, late Playstation, PS2, etc...) people were brought into RPG's has as much to do with what game people like as personal preference perhaps even more. I started with FF2 on SNES, which was actually FF4 so FF3 (FF6) was amazing visually with the cutscenes and stuff, and FF7 was a visual extravaganza compared to them. FF8 while it looked great just didn't click well for me, and I blame that on the Draw system but I still enjoyed it. I liked Drawing from monsters, but because you had to then slot the magic into a summon, and based on how many of that magic you had stored it affected your stats...it was a system that didn't really encourage magic use because it encouraged the drawing and stockpiling of a magic to keep your stats high. And in a game with a very central magic theme, being encouraged NOT to use magic just didn't sit right.
    I started RPGs on the PSone with either FFVIII or a BoF game...MAYBE a tales game....Either way I know what ya mean....I can still love and remark on how great Sprites can be for instance but as was said above FFVII just felt like a poor attempt regular character wise.

It's not that it was complex, it was just really really uninteresting and bordering on nonsensical (even for a FF game!)

Also, FF8 marked the beginning of the series flavor seeming to cross the line into "modern technology". (Though FF9 backtracked over that line later) I know some people don't mind it, but the whole, "It's a world with modern day - or even more advanced - technology but we still fight with swords and magic." stuff is off-putting to me.

I felt like FF7 did a good job with that balance, but FF8 just ran right over the line for me.

To be quite fair, a lot of series followed that trend, not necessarily Final Fantasy.

Hell. We have *motorbikes* in World of Warcraft, and steampunk'd Siegetanks in WCIII.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, like I said, there's a certain balance to that topic. In WoW for instance, most things are still rather medieval in nature. There's some "tinkering" style technology, but it's all written to be rough around the edges, unreliable, and it's not really firmly established in the normal technology of the world. So it feels like they did a good job keeping that balance.

On the other hand, a game like GW2 totally breaks that balance, IMO. The level and stability of technology that the Asura have is just absurd in the setting that the game is supposed to be in.

It's all personal preference, of course.
    I feel that FFVIII is more Sci Fi with magic then Fantasy with some Sci Fi..

Also most FF games have at least SOME tech.

As for GW2 Asura I believe their thing is that they're a REALLY ancient species...In most series they would be that ancient super civilization....Only they avoided extinction/sealing themselves away...

Now what IS strange is say how refined EVERY races engineers are and that their mettallurgy hasn't fully gone over....

I think each race may have been made TOO distinct...There isn't enough bleed over from other races and each one is almost like it exists in a separate point in time... Like humans Renaissance, Asura the future, Char are all kindsa steampunk army and so on....

Now the lack of or very little bleed over is annoying...Unless say in lore most races feel Asura tech is a crime against their gods... Still ypu'd expect a bit more bleed then just portals.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2013-10-05 at 09:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, and it just felt awkward to me. It's like the entire game was set in the 21st century, but the armies of the world still do battle with swords.

Like I said though, it's all a matter of personal perception.

Yeah, that's what is so weird about it to me. It's like an episode of Star Trek or something where the Asura is the Federation and they just set up an outpost on Tyria for shits and giggles.
    Wellll Swords COULD still have use if we thought about it..And remember OUR characters WERE training to fight witches not armies....Plus they had summons..So yeah..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Wellll Swords COULD still have use if we thought about it..And remember OUR characters WERE training to fight witches not armies....Plus they had summons..So yeah..
    Summons that wiped peoples memories and then were never talked about a second time throughout the game(seemingly just put in at random for one scene)? That was the best wtf moment ever that I've ever seen in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm137 View Post
    Summons that wiped peoples memories and then were never talked about a second time throughout the game(seemingly just put in at random for one scene)? That was the best wtf moment ever that I've ever seen in a game.
    They discussed the Memory wiping multiple times through the games, and it usually also coincided with times Matron aka Edea was around after going back to normal, and pretty much all of Ellone's presence in Disc 3+ was discussing it.

Like I said, people that don't like FFVIII's story because of reason like yours simply didn't understand it because they didn't read what was happening or skipped lots of dialogue.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    They discussed the Memory wiping multiple times through the games, and it usually also coincided with times Matron aka Edea was around after going back to normal, and pretty much all of Ellone's presence in Disc 3+ was discussing it.

Like I said, people that don't like FFVIII's story because of reason like yours simply didn't understand it because they didn't read what was happening or skipped lots of dialogue.
    Yeah i also remember their talking about it MANY times....It was one of those "Do we risk it and should we use it" types of discussions and was even used to explain their shared past together with only(Irvine was it the gunner) remembering...It actually played a decent sized role in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yeah i also remember their talking about it MANY times....It was one of those "Do we risk it and should we use it" types of discussions and was even used to explain their shared past together with only(Irvine was it the gunner) remembering...It actually played a decent sized role in the game.
    Exactly, one of the main themes of the game which people usually don't realise is the concept of "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"

Since it is people giving up the past (memories) to obtain powers (GF's), and in turn bring about the mistakes of the past i.e. the Sorceress Wars, and the Fact that Ultimecia compresses time to be able to rule everything.

Whilst FFVIII isn't for everyone, It just irks me to no end when people try to justify their hatred by trying to say there are plotholes which aren't actually there, since pretty much everything IS explained and goes into Depth if you actually follow the dialogue and read the story.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!