Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Poor extrapolation! Arcane beats Frost in raiding but the delta is very small, as opposed to the large delta in PG.
    What? That's not small, that's like having another player if you make 3 frost mages spec arcane instead.

Not to mention how, if we accept your premise, then every aspect of the entire game is horribly poorly designed on such a level that the differences between specs in PGs is small by comparison, in which case you really should be busy complaining about those far more important things instead.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flavourcat54 View Post
    What I don't get is that it's designed to test your class skills. So why not make it available at lower levels as well (60/70/80?)? You will have learnt a lot about your class by the time you've hit max-level.
    this is a pretty cool idea. maybe every 10 levels or so you get a proving grounds quest and rewards some XP as you learn your new abilities etc
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    this is a pretty cool idea. maybe every 10 levels or so you get a proving grounds quest and rewards some XP as you learn your new abilities etc
    Could have been something like the Monk +XP quests every 10 levels or so. Do a PG-style quest for your role, get a fat XP buff. Totally optional, but if you do it you can get valuable experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    Top 100 is a poor metric, as hardly anyone's raiding as Frost anyway, hence there is no good metric anyway.

Also, you missed the point: raids are designed such that the deltas are small. PG is designed such that the deltas are large. There's not much that can be done to change this, hence why it fails for me.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Deleted
    Top 100 is a poor metric, as hardly anyone's raiding as Frost anyway, hence there is no good metric anyway.

Also, you missed the point: raids are designed such that the deltas are small. PG is designed such that the deltas are large. There's not much that can be done to change this, hence why it fails for me.
    So you want PG to be designed such as that you can just stand there and dps? (you argued that arcane is a "turret spec" and you still haven't answered why you didn't take ice flows). No, thanks, LFR already fulfills this job with much prettier graphics.

Deleted
    I did my first round of proving grounds on my Resto Shaman last night.

Bronze was face roll.

Silver felt a bit like one of the easier cata heroics.

Gold is pretty tough (got to wave 7 on my 5th go) need to use your CDs and Interrupt/Grounding Totem etc need to actually pay attention.

I think its a lot of fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by honj90 View Post
    So you want PG to be designed such as that you can just stand there and dps?
    If each PG was spec based or balanced that would make me a lot happier.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)

I think its a fun Mini game, It wasnt really hard to get gold. I kinda feel I have to reforge my gear to make it past 25 endless waves as healer now tho. Dont really feels its worth it atm

I am not interested to regem and reforge just to get gold in there. If you want to make it better, put free gems, enchants and other stuff that you can use just for that and put everything back the way it was on exit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    I am not interested to regem and reforge just to get gold in there. If you want to make it better, put free gems, enchants and other stuff that you can use just for that and put everything back the way it was on exit.
    You don't really need to regem/reforge for gold unless you're playing a class that has a huge disadvantage in PG or you aren't good enough. Although free gem changes and reforges would make going for high endless waves easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ideally you'd just get a 'Wardrobe' which you can pick a set of gear from (think GW2 PvP) that only works in the PG instance. That rules out weird scaling issues (like lots of sockets/socket bonuses, unless this has changed?) and puts everyone on an even playing field. You could have a set which favors each secondary stat and hit/expertise is just set to cap.

I don't think Proving grounds is/should be a way of teaching people how to play a class. It should just be proving how good you are at playing a particular class and comparing that against other players of the same spec.

Quote Originally Posted by honj90 View Post
    You don't really need to regem/reforge for gold unless you're playing a class that has a huge disadvantage in PG or you aren't good enough. Although free gem changes and reforges would make going for high endless waves easier.
    And if we are? I don't think I could make endless 20 without regemming (and getting new trinkets..), but not bothered to for PG's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Fail.

As a disc priest in 530+ gear, I would have to regem, reforge and bring along new trinkets just to perform adequately at 463 ilevel.
    I can't be arsed to do that; and so I cannot beat Gold 8 without running completely out of Mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    For pure pugging, I think Proving Grounds are truly worth their weight in gold
    I would never ever get a pug for even Flex that doesn't have PG Gold for his/her spec - it pretty much guarantees that you can basically play your class at whatever ilvl, which I think is a great measuring stick to have.

I haven't tried Endless yet, mostly due to the fact that I find it boring. But I did run through it on my main for the DPS Gold just to know about it and have it. As a raidleader I would definitely use it as a criterium for recruitment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Fail.

As a disc priest in 530+ gear, I would have to regem, reforge and bring along new trinkets just to perform adequately at 463 ilevel.
    I can't be arsed to do that; and so I cannot beat Gold 8 without running completely out of Mana.
    There's a reforger in the PG room. Just get reforge lite and go spirit > haste, for example. And use Inner Will instead of fire. That's what I did to get gold on my disc priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    Fail.

I cleared gold on my priest in full pvp gear (pvp enchants, gems and most important TRINKETS, yes trinket that has pvp power in its budget) so I think problem doesn't lie in your gear in this case...

That's why Proving Grounds are a great success. It's a reality check for people who thought so high of themselves but now they fail in there. It's like a slap in the face because you can't be carried by friends or gear. I thought I'm good on my tank char but when I started to struggle on endless it made me research, redefine my ability usage, talents, reforges, try out different styles and stats priority, then after all I got to 40th wave (when at the start I couldnt get to 10th). If you want to be succesful there you need to quit your 'it's everythings else fault' mentality and try to improve. And I don't only adress that to the guy I qouted but to everyone who think they are better than they really are and don't want to face the truth and improve.

Deleted
    I'm already using Frost Bomb-Frostjaw-Deep Freeze on it, and then burning what I can during the stun. Still not enough.

Or that Arcane is far harder to get gold out of than Frost/Fire (which it is due to the nature of the spec).
    Just Frost Nova the Monkey as soon as it spawns, hit it with arcane blast followed by a cone of cold. Then Arcane Explosion and Arcane Barrage it to death while staying within its circle.

Although it sounds like the discussion isn't so much about how YOU can get gold, but more about how certain specs and classes have an easier time with PG than others? Which is true, of course. But that's the same with pretty much all content. Questing, raiding, dungeons, PVP, Brawler's Guild, etc. All of these can be done with any Mage specs but for obvious reasons some specs will have a tougher time completing the content. It can still be done, just takes more effort.

It's not a big deal. It could be fun, even.

Its great but i don´t like the idea that i need to roll alts and learn to play em in order to get the achievements done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by andreas1999 View Post
    It's not a big deal. It could be fun, even.
    I don't enjoy the idea of Blizzard forcing movement out of a turret spec. But you're right, it's not that big a deal.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)