Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    server transfers bring them literaly ton of $$$ so why hurry with merges ?
    Yes, the minority of hardcore players that choose to spend money to transfer their characters are clearly a much bigger source of income than having healthy, populated realms that attract a ridiculously larger number of new players...

Such a hard facepalm...

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    You are not bringing forth any arguments to prove your case, you are merely basing your opinion on tinfoil hat assumptions. The fact of the matter is there is a pricetag on all these changes.

I am merely reading the language used, and linked and especially "BEHAVE AS" does not imply an actual physical merge unto one server. It is a clear linguistic distinction. It would also explain the delay and the testing. If it were a simple matter of slapping realms together, they would have done it long ago, as they have admitted themselves (look it up yourself, too lazy to dig up more bluequotes).

Realm mergers do not have a negative connotation at all for those players stuck on dead and low pop realms. In fact they've been clamoring for it. The reason they are using this language is because they are not in fact, classically merging realms. This is not "marketing lingo", there is no need to sell this. Whether it's a classical merge or their new concept of a connected realm, low pop realms being solved brings players back/attracts new players.
    It has nothing to do with tinfoil hat conspiracies it is purely a business decision there is no point trying to reinvent the wheel you do not spend time and money developing a new system when there is an existing system that not only achieves the same results and cut costs but is simpler and is known to work.

Ever heard the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    It has nothing to do with tinfoil hat conspiracies it is purely a business decision there is no point trying to reinvent the wheel you do not spend time and money developing a new system when there is an existing system that not only achieves the same results and cut costs but is simpler and is known to work.

Ever heard the saying "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"
    You've missed the point tho, it is in fact a reinventing of the wheel, in many aspects. The fact that some like you are enraging because you think it's Blizzard just "delaying" ordinary realm merges is the misunderstanding here.

Deleted
    Do you really think than minority of hardcore players used race/transfer change?

number of eu players it the same for laste few years but still more and more serwers going low why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by majkosz View Post
    Do you really think than minority of hardcore players used race/transfer change?

number of eu players it the same for laste few years but still more and more serwers going low why?
    That's actually not true, the sub numbers have been going down consistently, regardless of Asia etc. And many many people don't actually transfer, but reroll instead or quit the game. If you talk to actual people playing the game, transferring and paying money for that only really becomes a viable option for the dedicated players, the ones that play consistently over loong stretches of time and plan to stick to it. This is the tiny minority of players, always has been. The overwhelming majority of WoW players are truly casual or just passing by.

The fact of the matter is that low pop realms are quite a considerable factor for Blizzard losing profit (not that they're doing poorly, it could just be better), and realm transfer fees in no way make up for that, not by a long shot, it'S like a drop in the bucket.

You've missed the point tho, it is in fact a reinventing of the wheel, in many aspects. The fact that some like you are enraging because you think it's Blizzard just "delaying" ordinary realm merges is the misunderstanding here.
    Let me get this straight, according to you, Blizzard are spending time and money developing a new system that is more complex and untested that does exactly the same as another system they know to work and that allows them to cut server costs. Does this not strike you as a massive waste of time and money?

I am not raging nor have I said that Blizzard are delaying realm merges it appears that reading what people write is another area your understanding is lacking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me get this straight, according to you, Blizzard are spending time and money developing a new system that is more complex and untested that does exactly the same as another system they know to work and that allows them to cut server costs. Does this not strike you as a massive waste of time and money?

I am not raging nor have I said that Blizzard are delaying realm merges it appears that reading what people write is another area your understanding is lacking.
    In fact that is exactly what Blizzard themselves have been explaining, that they have developed this new system to "link" realms, and that the realm technology has been updated over that past 2 expansions in part with this change in mind. Read up.

The fact that you choose not to believe this does not make it a lie. Which is why i call it a tinfoil hat theory ^^

It is in fact untested, which is why it is being rolled out slowly, as I said in many posts before. They've stated this themselves, again if you choose not to believe it that is your business *shrug*

Your argument does not make any sense from a business perspective, although you are trying to argue from a fiscal point of view. Keeping the realm infrastructure as it stands largely intact and adding new technology to "link" as they stated would probably not be more expensive than changing the infrastructure via physical merges. Again, any change here has a pricetag, in this case the philosophy is clearly recognizable - it is not in Blizzard's interest to merge realms and have people get confused by having their realm suddenly gone, maybe ahving to change their name, etc etc. In fact they pretty much implied that they are INVESTING into the realm system to keep this integrity of separate realms intact while tackling the low pop issue with these Connected Realms.

For the third time, the fact that you choose not to believe what Blizzard states and make up your own interpretation does not make their statement false, neither does it prove my "lack of understanding".

Aside from the idiots who think that blizzard is delaying implementation of this for every low pop realm on purpose for some absurd reason, has anybody actually played on the two connected realms?

I was thinking of making a new toon on one of them to check it out.

In fact that is exactly what Blizzard themselves have been explaining, that they have developed this new system to "link" realms, and that the realm technology has been updated over that past 2 expansions in part with this change in mind. Read up.

The fact that you choose not to believe this does not make it a lie. Which is why i call it a tinfoil hat theory ^^

It is in fact untested, which is why it is being rolled out slowly, as I said in many posts before. They've stated this themselves, again if you choose not to believe it that is your business *shrug*

Your argument does not make any sense from a business perspective, although you are trying to argue from a fiscal point of view. Keeping the realm infrastructure as it stands largely intact and adding new technology to "link" as they stated would probably not be more expensive than changing the infrastructure via physical merges. Again, any change here has a pricetag, in this case the philosophy is clearly recognizable - it is not in Blizzard's interest to merge realms and have people get confused by having their realm suddenly gone, maybe ahving to change their name, etc etc. In fact they pretty much implied that they are INVESTING into the realm system to keep this integrity of separate realms intact while tackling the low pop issue with these Connected Realms.

For the third time, the fact that you choose not to believe what Blizzard states and make up your own interpretation does not make their statement false, neither does it prove my "lack of understanding".
    Whenever a business, any business, undertakes a new project or implements a new system they need to make sure that the benefits outweigh the costs. The system you believe Blizzard are implementing has massive costs over the existing one in terms of it needs to be invented. Not only that it brings no benefits, as it achieves the same results, over the existing system and as it is untested may actually be detrimental to the business if it does not work as intended. Assuming that the new system worked without issue it still requires the same amount of hardware to use whereas mergers would allow the amount of hardware to be scaled back, even if the business is unable to recoup some of the costs of the hardware through selling it they no longer have to pay the associated costs with running and maintaining it.

When you take into account that the business is losing customers and is therefore becoming less profitable it makes even less sense to spend time and money developing a new system that will not save costs in day to day running and could potentially cost lost business as it is unproven when there is an existing system that is known to work that can potentially save money.

It is not a case of not believing what Blizzard have said, I 100% believe what they have said as they have not said that they are not merging realms.

It is not a case of not believing what Blizzard have said, I 100% believe what they have said as they have not said that they are not merging realms.
    Whey whould they say they are not merging realms when they've said they are merging realms

10+ Year Old Account
    Whenever a business, any business, undertakes a new project or implements a new system they need to make sure that the benefits outweigh the costs. The system you believe Blizzard are implementing has massive costs over the existing one in terms of it needs to be invented. Not only that it brings no benefits, as it achieves the same results, over the existing system and as it is untested may actually be detrimental to the business if it does not work as intended. Assuming that the new system worked without issue it still requires the same amount of hardware to use whereas mergers would allow the amount of hardware to be scaled back, even if the business is unable to recoup some of the costs of the hardware through selling it they no longer have to pay the associated costs with running and maintaining it.

When you take into account that the business is losing customers and is therefore becoming less profitable it makes even less sense to spend time and money developing a new system that will not save costs in day to day running and could potentially cost lost business as it is unproven when there is an existing system that is known to work that can potentially save money.

Neither you nor I have actual numbers for the cost/profit margins. And the fact still remains that you choose to add your own interpretation to Blizzard's statements.
    I did take declining business into account, which is the very reason why your assumption makes no sense.

If it were a simple matter of merging realms to lose hardware costs and solve the lowpop issue, they would have done it ages ago, they did not need the technology for it. And if you seriously believe that the basic hardware maintenance costs for the realms are a major deciding factor you'Re a bit misinformed. Personnel/training/software "maintenance" costs FAR outweigh these. To say nothing of the fact that Blizzard has the luxury, due to excessively profitable ventures, to allow for an unecessary expenditure in return for making this gentler, better solution feasible.

You are arguing from the PoV that Blizzard is a sinking ship and WoW is failing due to losing subs. This is not the case. The rest of what you say is semantics, of course they are merging realms, but it is not the type of merge you talk about, as they have themselves repeatedly stated and I repeatedly explained.

Anyway, tired of this debate since it is leading nowhere. We will see when all the realms are in place.
    Good day!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    They really should start handing out infractions for using the word whining, it's nothing short of just flaming people who don't share your opinion.
    This, a million, billion times this. Words alone can't describe how awesome this sentence is.
    A wise saying once said "A wise man builds a foundation from the bricks others have thrown at him."

10+ Year Old Account
    Connected realms are mergers in all but name and this is already been done at least three times on a larger scale in Korea, Taiwan and China prior to the two US realms being connected.
    You are usually more careful with your facts than this.

Realm merges where people are moved off of one realm and onto another are one thing. No mail system changes, no auction house changes, etc. People get moved, the old realm closes, and the new realm performs exactly as before since there's no need to link anything.

Connected realms where the mail system has to work seamlessly across two separate systems as one and a merged auction house that is servicing what is still two realms are different things. Never mind the changes they've had to make to accommodate players with the same name on the connected realms and any number of other things I can think of.

Connected realms haven't happened in any of those places you mentioned. It's surprising that you would bundle them all up together and say it's already been done.

It hasn't.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-10-08 at 03:57 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok we got a blue post

Black Dragonflight and Skullcrusher are next connected realm.

Looks like they need another connection to test things. Looks like the first connection was not enough and the second one ll bring more shananingans to the whole things.

I know a lot of you are looking forward to having your realm connected (or even just knowing when and who you'll be connected to), but keep in mind that these initial connections are to test the various steps and results of what is a very involved and complicated process. We need to make these initial connections, nail down the processes, find and resolve any issues we run into, etc. before finalizing next steps as the results of the tests will have a direct impact on how and when we make all future connections. The realms connected thus far were chosen specifically to help identify potential issues, and not necessarily because they would benefit the most from a connection.

Why the fuck do they need to connect 2 other realms to test things while they dont even give us feedback on the first connection?

Total bs.

And some of you were right. This wont be fully implemented before 2014.

Allright i give up I think im gonna let this thread die.

Nvm
    Last edited by Iseeyou; 2013-10-09 at 12:57 PM.

Why exactly do you think Blizzard owes you any feedback on the first connection?

Since there is no big outcry on the forums from guys from these servers i would think it was more or less successful.
    All the internal matters with this are none of your business anyway.

You come across as someone who needs a reality check as to his own importance on this globe.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltha89 View Post
    Can we expect all realms to be merged in some way? I´m playing on a Full realm will it get merged with a low pop? realm?
    Of course not. You have a full realm, you dont try to push more players in, its gonna burst.