10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Meh, I like Horriblesubs. They aren't bad and they're usually way quicker to release than other sub groups.
    I think cause they get their shows before they release so they can sub them and simulcast.

I would never save HS onto my hard drive unless I like the show and there's no other group at all in the slightest.

15+ Year Old Account
    HorribleSubs isn't a sub group. They rip stuff from streaming websites (illegally) and upload them. That's literally all they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I think cause they get their shows before they release so they can sub them and simulcast.

I would never save HS onto my hard drive unless I like the show and there's no other group at all in the slightest.
    I imagine that's the case.

I don't see myself rewatching an anime so soon after the show has finished that not all of the blurays are out, so that's not really an issue. And I definitely wouldn't rewatch a tv release if the bluray was out or volumes were still releasing (I'm looking at you SSY. Release faster!). In that sense they're kind of like place holders and if I want to watch the show again I'll just download the bluray if I hadn't already. For watching currently airing I think they're fine. I generally just go with whichever subs are up first that are from a good group.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    HorribleSubs isn't a sub group. They rip stuff from streaming websites (illegally) and upload them. That's literally all they do.
    Yeah, I know. You guys were talking about Crunchyroll's subs, which Horriblesubs uses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Only reason I can stand it.

Galilei Donna - This show seems like it's going to be very interesting. Had a great first episode.

Oh snap, so excited. I know almost nothing about this show aside from the basic premise but I think it will be good. Apparently Studio Deen is bad and they're the ones who made it, so hopefully they don't screw it up.

- - - Updated - - -

With nearly all of the shows already releasing their first episode, here's what I'm watching from this season:

Gingitsune
    Unbreakable Machine-Doll
    Pupa (Hasn't aired yet but I know I'll be watching it)
    Yowamushi Pedal
    Non Non Biyori
    Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova
    Tokyo Ravens
    Coppelion
    Miss Monochrome
    Valvrave
    Noucome
    Kyoukai no Kanata
    Nagi no Asukara
    Samurai Flamenco
    Galilei Donna
    Strike the Blood
    IS: Infinite Stratos 2
    Outbreak Company
    Golden Time
    Kill La Kill
    Yuusha ni Narenakatta
    Log Horizon
    Magi
    Ace of Diamond
    Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
    White Album 2
    Kyousougiga
    Walkure Romanze (I'm going to drop this on the 3rd episode if it doesn't improve quite a bit)
    BlazBlue: Alter Memory (Another show I'm 90% sure I'll be dropping)

Shows I've already dropped:

Meganebu
    Diabolik Lovers
    Boob wrestling

Tooo many!

Tiger and Bunny - 6.5-7/10

This series had been on my radar for a bit, although not sure why. I believe it has some connection to Steins;Gate or some such thing (same studio?). In any case, it ended up being alright.

First up, one thing that may bother a lot of people is that the series makes very heavy use of CG and it's obvious. I didn't mind it that much, but I know that can be a turnoff for a lot of watchers.

Other than that, I liked the premise. It reminded me of The Incredibles, except with the Japanese twist with the advertising and game show format. It had a good sense of self-awareness with regards to Japanese society and commercialization. The other point that I thought developed well was Kotetsu (Tiger) himself. In the beginning he's mostly just a buffoon who is a bit simpleminded about things but as the series develops I came to like him a lot more. I think what really changes it is seeing more about his deceased wife and interactions with family and Kaede. You realize that his lightheartedness isn't just a simple happy-go-lucky attitude but a more enduring outlook on life that he's developed in response to his struggles. Similarly his values aren't just simple naivete, but what he holds to in the face of all the pettiness and half measures of being a "hero."

Side rant: This is why I think that many anime lose out on a lot of potential by having young protagonists. Certain traits can work well with youth. For instance, Lelouch and Yagami Light are both narcissistic idealists, and that mindset is entirely believable in somebody their age. But if the show wants to add more depth then it starts to struggle. What really makes for interesting characters are the choices they have made in the past and how these may influence their choices now. But when you have a teen protagonist the only way to put anything in their background is to regress it to their childhood when they aren't a responsible agent (heck, in their teens they hardly qualify for that description either). This limits the show to talking about things that happened *to* them, as opposed to things they chose to do, and that just isn't as compelling.

In the end I didn't like the direction the show took. It felt very standard and I was really hoping that Maverick wasn't a villain, up until the point they made it explicit. It just felt too obvious the second Barnaby's memories started to shift. In my mind, the whole show had a very good setup to explore some ideas. For instance, the corporations were obviously not interested in welfare, but they provided it anyway. They make mention of how in the past, in the "good old days" without the sponsorship, how they actually had to use heroes to set up arrests for Mr. Legend just for the sake of show popularity. Perhaps this is just on my mind of late, but the whole hate-the-present-worship-the-past bothers me greatly, especially since all evidence points to things getting better. The show had the requisite self-awareness to pursue such a line but it falls short of doing so.

The other thing I really had wished had happened was that they'd explored the loss of powers more. Mr. Legend's moral fall due to his loss of powers was one of the most interesting points of the show to me. Again, not because I just want a simple deconstruction of heroes or anything like that, but because it reflected a real human struggle a lot more. For instance, I think of my intelligence as a defining feature and when I consider what I'd do if I were to endure brain damage and lose that it really scares me. But this is also where Kotetsu could have really shined, demonstrating profound character strength by being able to let go of what was no longer his life and seek new ways to be a good person (and father). Instead they backed down and just threw him into the fray again, except now he's full of confidence and everything's fine.

So I thought it was an okay watch, but I don't really feel compelled to seek out the movies or ever watch it again.

p.s. Did Blue Rose's interest in Kotetsu hit anybody as a little weird?
    Last edited by Neichus; 2013-10-11 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Just watched Case Closed - Detective Conan Movie 5: Countdown to Heaven.

My god, the thought and detail that went into this movie is mind boggling.
    You got a few more movies to watch :P

this is abit off topic but i just found my pokemon x copy in my postbox thats quite nice as it gets released tomorrow and even pre order said it gets here tomorrow ;D

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    this is abit off topic but i just found my pokemon x copy in my postbox thats quite nice as it gets released tomorrow and even pre order said it gets here tomorrow ;D
    Lucky bastard. Going to have to wait till tomorrow for mine, seeing as no stores near are doing a midnight release. Planning on getting Y.

Strike the Blood - This show is awesome. Definitely the most unexpected shows for me, wasn't even planning to watch it originally. Himeragi is amazing. Really glad it is two cour.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-10-11 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha.

Galilei Donna - Hozuki is awesome. <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Coppelion - This episode was pretty terrible and not as much eye candy. Could barely finish it. Hopefully it gets better. At least OP and ED are great.

Kyousougiga - This show is amazing. The entire concept is so good. Starting to make a lot more sense now with a back-story to it.

Trying to finish up the previous season before I start the next, but I still have like 50 episodes to go. Urgh. Some of these shows are only just barely watching, but I hate dropping something I'm halfway through.

Also, F/HA has 1 new translated line today. Why do they tease us like this?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Samurai Flamenco - So it's Kick-Ass. Wonder if he's actually going to get stronger, like Darker Than Black level strong, or stay weak as fuck.

IS - I like new girl and how much she's messing with other girls.

Yuushibu - The smile that's saving anime. This show is awesome. Main girl is so adorable.

KnK - Those battle scenes. I love the ending but I feel like it's just going to turn into nothing. Like "oh well she killed someone help her get over it blah blah blah she's okay now." UTW also said this: "A wise man once said Akihito’s interactions with Mirai were typical KyoAni, whereas his interactions with Mitsuki were typical SHAFT. That has never held truer than in this episode." This is so true.
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2013-10-12 at 01:45 AM.

Outbreak Company Ep 2 - This might end up being my aots if it keeps this up. It has quite a few contenders, but I'm really enjoying this show so far. I'm calling it now; Fall will be the best season of 2013.

Outbreak Company Ep 2 - This might end up being my aots if it keeps this up. It has quite a few contenders, but I'm really enjoying this show so far. I'm calling it now; Fall will be the best season of 2013.
    i think so too i doubt the winter 13/14 can beat the current lineup just to many really good ones ^^

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    i think so too i doubt the winter 13/14 can beat the current lineup just to many really good ones ^^
    Indeed. Seems like Fall is a good season for anime. Last Fall was when I started following currently airing anime and that was an amazing season.

I regret letting my list of shows I plan to download build up for so long. I'm now slowly working my way through 70+ shows to add to my torrent program. Ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this show is fucking awesome....Not sure I can easily wait a week LOL.

Deleted
    Outbreak Company is def an AotS candidate. Also: Laploli! <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Is Psycho Pass worth watching? I've heard mixed things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Is Psycho Pass worth watching? I've heard mixed things.
    Yes and no. It's not bad, I just was disappointed because I saw so many more interesting directions they could have taken with the series given the premise and certain other elements. Instead they kind of didn't, and went in a direction that I found rather meh. Plus it's getting a second season if I do remember, so they still have a chance I suppose to focus on those elements I was talking about.

For those who've seen the show: Sybil