Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How long does it take to get geared to a decent level in 5.4?

So if you look at my character in my sig you will see I have done zero PvE in MoP so far and its all been PvP. Now I've come to the conclusion that PvE this expansion has been way better than PvP so I want to start getting geared and doing some LFR/Flex and eventually pug some normals.

Looked up some shit on how to gear up in 5.4 but its all been very random on what to do and how long it takes so I was wondering if any of you based PvE gods could fill me in.

I'm like 496~ in PvP gear right now, what is a decent ilvl to start Flex and Normals at and what should my steps to getting there be?

10+ Year Old Account
    First, go get all of the 496 gear from the Timeless Isle. There are chests there that, when you open them, will sometimes drop gear for your armor class. They're actually tokens that convert to 496 gear for the spec you're in when you convert them.

Second (and you can do this as you do the first), run LFR - ToT and SoO. Replace the PVP pieces with the Timeless PVE but keep your PVP pieces on vs, say, blue PVE replacements. As you get drops in ToT and SoO, equip them of course.

Gem and enchant stuff obviously. Doesn't have to be top end gems or enchants, but don't just skip this.

If you played consistently for a few hours every day (2-3, not 6-8), you can end up geared at a 510+ level in a week or two depending on drop luck. Speaking of drop luck, as you kill stuff on Timeless Isle it will drop lesser charms. Every week you can turn in some of those for Warforged Seals which you can use for extra drop chances in raids.

Timeless Isle. Get 496 PvE gear in most of your slots.

There's a 502 ilvl boot reward from a quest. I know it's still in game, but they changed where it starts. wowhead it.

Once you're there, you can do the LFR scene. Or avoid that altogether (recommended) and find a raiding guild you can fit in with and make their schedule. Or find a good guild who runs flex couple times a week. Check your server's forums for various guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    So if you look at my character in my sig you will see I have done zero PvE in MoP so far and its all been PvP. Now I've come to the conclusion that PvE this expansion has been way better than PvP so I want to start getting geared and doing some LFR/Flex and eventually pug some normals.

Looked up some shit on how to gear up in 5.4 but its all been very random on what to do and how long it takes so I was wondering if any of you based PvE gods could fill me in.

I'm like 496~ in PvP gear right now, what is a decent ilvl to start Flex and Normals at and what should my steps to getting there be?
    #1 Get to the Timeless isle and fill in your gear with gear that is weighted towards your preferred stats.
    #2 Get PvE trinkets
    #3 Please, please, please read fights/watch videos/be proactive about your knowledge of the raid.
    #3.5 Queue for LFR, you don't have to be amazing, you just have to have the time to queue and then sit through some failures. If you did #3 already you will be more prepared than half of the raid in LFR.
    #4 when your gear is mostly LFR/ToT normal mode (520+) Go start doing some pugs of Flex, with that Ilvl you probably wont get in super successful ones (see other thread in this same subforum) but getting a few boss kills here and there will help your character progression quite well.
    #5 By the time you reach here I would see us being farther in the patch and many guilds such as mine will have full fledged alt runs looking for random people to fill in on off nights. This will be your best time to snipe a spot in a normal run (I would assume my min requirement for going to an alt run would be 530-540 ish if we are going to do most of the instance, 550 for a full clear assuming no nerfs by this time)

Good luck and welcome to the PvE community!

Deleted
    Currently your best bet for ilvl is the Timeless Isle. Google for a map for all the chests, and start grinding coins and Burdens of Eternity. This will eventually give you 535 armor/rings and a 496 trinket. Save up your Warforged coins for LFR/Flex bosses that drop your best weapons/trinkets. How's your progress on the legendary quest? You need to get it done asap both for the quality of the meta gem/cloak, the itemlevel, and the fact that it allows you to kill Ordos every week.

As for what itemlevel is decent: It's lower than what most PUGs will ask for. Assuming you know your class and know how to play, you can probably complete full Flex (once it's released) in 520, and full normals in 540.

Do you maybe have a friendly guild that you can tag along with for Flex? We usually do a guild run once a week and just carry the players who underperform a little and they're happy to have a guaranteed smooth clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syphil View Post
    Timeless Isle. Get 496 PvE gear in most of your slots.

There's a 502 ilvl boot reward from a quest. I know it's still in game, but they changed where it starts. wowhead it.

Once you're there, you can do the LFR scene. Or avoid that altogether (recommended) and find a raiding guild you can fit in with and make their schedule. Or find a good guild who runs flex couple times a week. Check your server's forums for various guilds.
    With 496 timeless gear and 502 welfare boots I don't see any guild giving him a chance to raid with them unless they just are in desperate need of a warlock. I would assume even guilds just starting progress on normals would expect at LEAST a LFR knowledge of the fights, but I could be wrong.

Also, the boots quest line is called "Path of the Last Emperor"

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    With 496 timeless gear and 502 welfare boots I don't see any guild giving him a chance to raid with them unless they just are in desperate need of a warlock.
    Okay, forgive me, but I must ask. There's this weird perception about ilvl = more dps/hps/survivability. Where did this come from? To me, it seems lazy. Do raiding guilds no longer focus on reviewing logs of applicants?

(Background: officer in a top 50 (depending on tier) US raiding guild who doesn't give a flying fuck about an applicants ilvl. However, I did have to retire (newborn baby), so I just tend the bank nowadays.)

Quote Originally Posted by royals View Post
    With 496 timeless gear and 502 welfare boots I don't see any guild giving him a chance to raid with them unless they just are in desperate need of a warlock. I would assume even guilds just starting progress on normals would expect at LEAST a LFR knowledge of the fights, but I could be wrong.

Also, the boots quest line is called "Path of the Last Emperor"
    hey dude im on Illidan too, want to invite me to your guild?

- - - Updated - - -

also not too worried about guilds right now just want to get my gear rolling

OP: You don't need to replace your PvP gear unless you find something of higher ilvl or with better PvE stats. A lot of people don't realize it, but there is no longer a PvE stat penalty on PvP gear.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

just got to timeless isle, welfare gear here I come

Quote Originally Posted by syphil View Post
    Okay, forgive me, but I must ask. There's this weird perception about ilvl = more dps/hps/survivability. Where did this come from? To me, it seems lazy. Do raiding guilds no longer focus on reviewing logs of applicants?

(Background: officer in a top 50 (depending on tier) US raiding guild who doesn't give a flying fuck about an applicants ilvl. However, I did have to retire (newborn baby), so I just tend the bank nowadays.)
    iLvl increases your overall base throughput, so even crap players can show improvement with iLvl increases. It is more of a valid measure, however, in regards to how far into LFR/flex one has progressed, and how much effort one has made in prep, because more gear beyond a certain point (496 or so) implies experience in places such as SoO lfr/flex, knowledge of purchasable/questable/legendary loot, etc.

oh yeah some guy from this video mentioned heroic scenarios, should I do those?

You are in for a very long and painful grind to get up to scratch where a guild would take you on, timeless gear is complete crap you need to be lucky to get a worthwhile stat most of the times you get one stat eg: hit only.

If your cashed up you can buy 553 belt/pants from the AH but besides that just keep doing LFR over and over and hope you get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    oh yeah some guy from this video mentioned heroic scenarios, should I do those?
    Free 516 gear.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I'd skip the Timeless Isle nonsense and just go straight to LFR. You can easily do LFR in full PvP gear as long as you aren't a tank class, a healer/DPS will be fine in PvP gear. You won't top meters, but honestly you can just auto attack and collect your loot.

Once you're in full ToT/SoO LFR gear you'll be high enough for SoO Flex, do that get some gear and you're set for normals. Shouldn't take long depending on luck.

On this month my priest moved from 500ilvl to 535, i did all the flex every week, i only did SoO lfr once, nalak, celestial and ordos, also normal tot runs in openraid. Almost 90% of my gear is from flex. The hardest part was the mistake i did, not doing the legendary quest before, so im in the last week of the 3k valor point, so at this point probably in 2 months i will have the legendary cloak on my alt.
    Last edited by Clrg; 2013-10-13 at 01:25 AM.

Deleted
    it's been 2,5 weeks now; arms warrior, went from ~433 to 529. doing decent enough to be able to get picked up for SoO nhc 10 man first few bosses PuGs

timeless isle to quickly get to 496 to be able to run SoO LFR, spam that shit along with tot lfr+normal - also bought the 553 legs and belt @ AH. soon enough you'll be at 515-520, at which point you should be able to find a spot in flex pugs

dont forget about bonus rolls

i havent had any luck with flex drops though..
    Last edited by mmocf30e4e18d9; 2013-10-13 at 01:32 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    How dedicated are you? Had one of my playflashs today and dragged my fresh lvl 90 green equipped toon to 501 today. timeless island is the key.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

last question: What are PvE guilds like now? Is it still really competitive and will it be hard to find a laid back guild on a big server?

You got any friends that are part of a raiding guild? You can probably tag along with a flex run if you read up on tactics beforehand. PUGs you pick up in trade chat often have irrational demands for your ilvl (and wouldn't be able to carry a player).
    I would skip most of the timeless isle if I were you since 496 random stat gear probably isn't an upgrade over 496 pvp gear. You could replace 1 or 2 weak pieces of gear that you have though. Also there is a chest that is guaranteed to drop a Burden of Eternity, marked with a 7 in this guide: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...en-Chest-Guide!
    Use this burden on a timeless isle token to turn it into a 535 armor piece, if you're lucky with the random stats this should last you until you get a drop in flex mode.

Also if you have time to watch some tactic videos or read a quick guide you're pretty much good to jump into LFR already. LFR is the PVE equivalent of random battlegrounds though, just so you know what kind of attitudes to expect.

As far as guild go, I would say join some people in their flex mode run (as flex allows for additional people to join) and if they like you and how you play you can ask about joining their guild. There's plenty of guilds out there that are pretty casually doing normal mode and/or flex.