Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
    The thing is, its hard to feel much about a race when it kind of gurgles at you and waddles when it runs. I think if they were to expand on them and create a slightly different style of murlocs with voices and ... a thought process, maybe you would feel more attached.

I think they'd be more believable if they just couldn't join a faction permanently. Let them not be able to communicate with most races, make their quests very selective only allowing them to communicate with feral types. I mean, it could really work, but if they just slotted them into the same race space they use now it would be very silly. More and more monsters are moving into alliance capital cities, and the horde is becoming a collection of races with very very different sometimes competing needs. Murlocks just wouldn't be a good fit and would end up feeling faction awkward just like the pandaren, tauren and draenei.

If a gnome ran up to you and started making strange noises you would think its a bit silly as well.
    Also yes, sand gnomes did just that, and they were hella silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about.... no.

Murlocs have more or less always been the "punch-line" of "completely-incompetent-and-stupid-but-still-pains-in-the-ass" hall of lesser villains, shared with Kobolds, Gnolls, and troggs. They're not a "joke" race, but they certainly aren't "threatening" or "stoic" or... "interesting." I'd rather have Naga than them, and I'm not too crazy about the Naga.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    To my knowledge this is the first time they have done this using armour and a weapon. My point was that it gave a different POV for murlocs, with them wearing real armour and being a playable class.

I just wanted a fun discussion, I am not sure why you take offence to that.
    Nope, not the first time:
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...109_141145.jpg

And before you say "well that's different, that's based on Starcraft", well guess what, the new Murloc is based on Diablo.

Deleted
    If they ever add Murlocs as a playable race I will quit...

... my job and run around Orgrimmar all day yelling "Murgglgrglrglrl"

Personally I'd rather have these as a playable race:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razstah View Post
    As if Blizzard didn't damage WoW's reputation enough with adding pandas.
    Was gonna say that.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

A playable race needs to have the ability to communicate with their faction, we have not seen any ability of any murlocs to be able to speak human, orcish, or any other language other than their own mrgmrmgmrmgmrrr. A jump up in communication like this would be a sign of new evolution in murlocs. Oh wait the Jinyu are a new evolution in murlocs that can communicate with the factions...Jinyu maybe, Murlocs, just not going to happen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Jinyu perhaps, since they've proven to not only be sentient but very much intellectuals, tacticians, and leaders, given they sat upon the Throne of Pandaria as Emperor for some time, fill in the roles of Wisemen in Pandaria's lore and build/create elaborate structures and devices. Plus they invented eating chicken in a sauna. Murlocs, furbolgs, gnolls, and virmen etc. are all dumber than cow pies, barely intelligible, live in dwellings more primitive than the feces-and-sticks dwellings trolls create, and because of this, should not ever be made a playable race.
    Furbolgs are actually pretty intelligent... they're definitely smarter than the other races you listed. And they never struck me as a "slapstick" race like gnolls, troggs, Murlocs, etc. All the "villainous" Furbolgs have fallen to some sort of corruption; they're actually allies with the night elves. The Furbolgs (especially the ones the Draenei interact with) are wise, Shamanistic/druidic creatures. They're really quite a bit like the Jinyu.

Prior to the inclusion of the Pandaren, I could have totally bought a "Furlbolgs for the Alliance, Ogres for the Horde" expansion. Two bear races now just seems fairly redundant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MistsofBoredom View Post

To hell with that, I'm still waiting for one of these as a mount.

They could have added a Devilsaur mount to Oondasta.

They could have added a devilsaur mount to Thok.

BUT NO! Two completely wasted opportunities.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    Probably not. I love Murlocs as much as the next guy but they are simply too stupid to be a player race. The Jinyu, who are Murlocs evolved in the waters of the vale, would be a viable option.

So while I don't think they could...IF they could, they'd be pretty cool.
    Well, Worgen were mostly mindless killing machines, until they retconned Night Elves coming to "right their wrong" from spreading it in the first place. Which is fine by me, it just shows us that they CAN and WILL actually do it.

Also, I would LOVE to see Murloc Paladins. Neutral of course.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=lopk;22853574]They certainly could, but I really can't see it happening. One reason is that I don't find them to be "intelligent" enough; they're too garrbly argggly murrrg murrrgly.

I do seem to remember some quests given by murlocs and you could sort of understand them.. was it in Dragoblight or Borean Tundra... I can't recall at all but I have a screenshot of tons of murloc babies following me. Don't underestimate them just because they can't talk I'd LOVE to play a murloc!

But yes, not going to happen because of all the reasons people have mentioned already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vren View Post
    Well, Worgen were mostly mindless killing machines, until they retconned Night Elves coming to "right their wrong" from spreading it in the first place. Which is fine by me, it just shows us that they CAN and WILL actually do it.

Also, I would LOVE to see Murloc Paladins. Neutral of course.
    Yes, but you see, the difference is that Worgen weren't 2 foot tall gibbering frog people.

And frankly, the only reason they really did the whole "Night Elf Druid thing" (which I think caused them to really fumble the Worgen Storyline) was probably to shoehorn in another Druid race for the Alliance. There was only a tiny sliver of "Night Elf-Worgen" relation in WoW prior. They easily could have been a "curse spread from silverpine into Gilneas, then the Gilneans join the Alliance naturally" sort of thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
    I do seem to remember some quests given by murlocs and you could sort of understand them.. was it in Dragoblight or Borean Tundra... I can't recall at all but I have a screenshot of tons of murloc babies following me. Don't underestimate them just because they can't talk I'd LOVE to play a murloc!

But yes, not going to happen because of all the reasons people have mentioned already.
    Those quests were in Borean Tundra; the Murlocs don't speak common, you just learn how to understand their language. And that was a single tribe of Murlocs, too.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MistsofBoredom View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    To hell with that, I'm still waiting for one of these as a mount.

They could have added a Devilsaur mount to Oondasta.

They could have added a devilsaur mount to Thok.

BUT NO! Two completely wasted opportunities.
    I'll be one of those, snacking on my enemies while riding an even bigger one of those.

Blizzard didn't ruin anything. Whiney players too blind to tell the differences between Pandaren and Kung Fu Panda are the true issue.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Deleted
    hell yes.
    its the only race I have really wanted to play

10+ Year Old Account
    1: i hope not
    2: i think WoW doesn't need more playable races.

Alot of people seem to be disregarding what was already linked in this thread and what is already known about the murloc race. Blizzard has already shown that they are an intelligent race like the other intelligent races that are currently playable races. We have already had conversations with them and done quests for them.

To the people making comments about the murlocs only knowing how to speak murloc, you seem to be overlooking 1 major thing. Do you think that for example, every race in the horde automatically knew how to speak orcish? No, they had to learn how to, so what's to stop the murlocs from learning how to speak orcish if they were to become a player race for the horde. Same can be applied to them for joining the alliance. Every race of the alliance didn't just automatically know how to speak common they had to learn. Any other excuses for them to not be added other then peoples own personal bias against them not being added?

No. Just stop, please. Go back to your cave.

OT: I'd like to have Murlocs/Jinyu as a playable race eventually, but meh there's much better choices out there.

Sure, but I prefer Satyrs, Nagas and Ogres more.

Hard to say, if either faction got murlocs for themselves. One faction would rage hard on the other until the end of time. Also you would have insane faction imbalance since everyone wants to be a lovable murloc. you think everyone rolling elves on horde was bad, just wait til you get murlocs.

Deleted
    Only if theyre jinyu id say.