Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    For the simple reason that it looks and feels ridiculous as we embark upon numbers in the millions and billions. For the same reason that no new MMO launches with massive numbers. Because adding more and more zero's just makes numbers less identifiable quickly when you look at them. Because it makes my recount/skada wider than it needs to be to accommodate all the zeros. Because I don't want a stupid K or M after my numbers when I can just have a nice manageable number without it instead. Because the game will be around for a while yet and the result will be even more ridiculous numbers in the future otherwise. And because I take Blizz at face value when they say my character will not get weaker in relative terms, so it is really a non-factor with my gameplay.
    This and more.

Look, the larger numbers are just out of hand. I miss the aesthetic joy of when my power upgraded it was a tangible increases, from 22k on a fireball to 23k. Now the numbers are so large it barely feels relevant any more.

The stat squish will be a relief, reducing hundreds of thousands to more manageable figures.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    It's more like you can't comprehend what is relative and need feel like your amazing because you can do eleventy billion dps...
    Dr. Evil wants more deeps!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your poll is kind of biased.

We are not getting weaker. We will still be able to solo raids and such.

The reason for having stats squished is simply because blizzard hits the hp ceiling on bosses while stats keep getting bigger and bigger and in order to bypass that hp cap they have to abuse mechanics that allow bosses to heal up, which is why a stat squish is the inevitable solution to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Without going into the realm of opinion or the insipid blatant fallacy that is "hardware limitations", why exactly is it needed? Can you explain to me that without a reasonable doubt that we somehow need a stat squish in order for the game to be better in some possible way?
    As numbers grow exponentially while ilvl increases linearly, we'll reach a point where guilds will fall apart as every item drop is a 5% or better improvement for a toon. Compare the difference between an i463 character and an i522 character, and then realize by the end of the next expansion that level of improvement (over 100%) will take place within a single tier.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty apathetic. I'm not excitedly anticipating it, but I don't dread it either.

Honestly, I don't really understand why anyone has strong feelings on it one way or the other.

Unless they royally fuck it up, it should have negligible functional impact on gameplay, positive or negative. The value of our numbers (in stats, in damage, whatever) is entirely relative anyway; as long as everything changes together you could put them at any arbitrary value. I think people are inflating how much a couple extra digits in some random in-game number matters to them.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Poll options are dumb

Item Squish is needed. Plain and simple. Only people who lack vision and context believe they will be getting "weaker" with an item squish. As it stands, numbers have been getting a little out of control for two expansions now.

I can 1 shot most bosses in MC now with a chaos bolt. Very cool. Will I still be able to do that after an Item Squish? Yes.

All that will change is instead of having to itemize and math out 4 and 5 digit numbers, we'll be working with 2 and 3 digit numbers again. Much more manageable.

A good example of this:

Right now, on the warlock Best in Slot list, several of the trinkets available are only about 3000 dps apart from one another, some are only 1000 dps apart (Theoretically) ... with an item squish, those margins will disappear, meaning we'd be free to use what ever trinket we wanted/liked/managed to get.

I don't understand the reasoning behind people being against an item squish. It's going to make the game a better place. EVERYTHING in the world will get "Weaker" along side you, so contextually, nothing is getting weaker. The only thing that will change is the numbers themselves, which will ultimately be easier to track.

If you like big numbers, go play with a calculator. Jeez
    Signature Nazi's suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The simple solution is for Blizzard to go back to having armor with like, 38 armor points, but this time they stick a K at the end, to denote for thousands (ie, 38k armor).

Problem solved.
    Nope it's not that simple.
    The difference between stats on a stuff in LFR mode, and the same stuff in Normal mode is less than a few hundred points.
    If you convert into "k", you won't see any difference between some stuff and an upgrade.
    The problem is far more a problem of readibility than a problem a computer numbers IMO.
    Personnaly, I'd like the squish to happen. It would be easier to see an upgrade than now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your character is not getting "weaker". The numbers will just be easier to handle by both the system and users. There's no difference between a character doing 200dps to a mob with 1k health and a character doing 2 dps to a mob with 20 health.

Quote Originally Posted by MistsofBoredom View Post
    With Mists of Pandaria, our characters have gotten really powerful. Tanks have broken 1 million health, DPS do a few hundred thousand DPS, and so forth.

But there's a strong indication, I think, that in the next expansion we'll have item level toned down and our characters severely weakened. How do you feel about that? Are you alright with it, or do you prefer getting even stronger next expansion?
    Characters wil not become weaker, so your poll makes no sense. It's ok not to know or understand something, but then just ask or search and don't post silly polls and false assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    People are ranting/raving over something that is really quite irrelevant, typical of many of the WoW "community" to be honest.
    it's in no way irrelevant, or what do you think is the reason blizzard started to talk about this topic? because the developers are like the wow "community", which you try to put in a bad light? it's funny, as soon as opinions differ nowadays, the other party has to be wrong/stupid/clueless/ignorant/blah. why don't you people just accept that there CAN be different opinions on certain matters?!

oh, your opinion is wrong by the way.

I prefer my characters getting weaker.

Haha, awfully bad poll choices. I certainly don't prefer my character getting weaker, but if my character and the entire world around him are all adjusted down at equal proportions to the point where I ultimately don't see much of a difference? Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

My characters get weaker as they level up, it's part of the reason I hate leveling. Suddenly I am less "hasteful" less "crity" less "hitty", etc. etc. Leveling sucks.

If it takes me 8 seconds to kill a mob on timeless island now, and tomorrow they implemented the item squish and dropped my dps to all of 2000, but I could still kill said mob in 8 seconds... My numbers are significantly smaller, sure, but I'm still doing everything just as fast/smoothly as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    Poll options are dumb

Item Squish is needed. Plain and simple. Only people who lack vision and context believe they will be getting "weaker" with an item squish. As it stands, numbers have been getting a little out of control for two expansions now.

I can 1 shot most bosses in MC now with a chaos bolt. Very cool. Will I still be able to do that after an Item Squish? Yes.

All that will change is instead of having to itemize and math out 4 and 5 digit numbers, we'll be working with 2 and 3 digit numbers again. Much more manageable.

A good example of this:

Right now, on the warlock Best in Slot list, several of the trinkets available are only about 3000 dps apart from one another, some are only 1000 dps apart (Theoretically) ... with an item squish, those margins will disappear, meaning we'd be free to use what ever trinket we wanted/liked/managed to get.

I don't understand the reasoning behind people being against an item squish. It's going to make the game a better place. EVERYTHING in the world will get "Weaker" along side you, so contextually, nothing is getting weaker. The only thing that will change is the numbers themselves, which will ultimately be easier to track.

No. With item squish it's just the same margin that it is now, it's just smaller numbers. Given your example, if trinket is now 3000 dps apart while we are doing 300k dps, it will be 300 dps while we are doing 30k dps. It's still the same procentage.

worst poll options ever

10+ Year Old Account
    What about a % dmg indicator instead of raw numbers?

Your Agony hits Angry Murloc for 12.7% damage
    Your Unstable Affliction hits Angry Murloc for 10.7% damage

Instead of Damage per Second we would have Percentage per Second and we would never have to worry about large numbers again.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    Buddha

One thing people don' take into account is that larger numbers like this also make it significantly harder to balance things. Blizzard has been doing a good job but the players wonder why you'll see a significant nerf to an ability or a spec. These massive numbers that are scaling up exponentially each tier are forcing the specs to also scale up at exponential rates and making the gap between say a fresh 90 and a geared 90 wayyyyy too massive. We're currently looking at about a 20 to 30% damage difference for every tier and as numbers get larger, that gap begins to grow even more.

In Wrath, a starter 80 was probably doing 2500 DPS and a geared player, without the ICC buff, was doing about 7500. So triple the DPS at the end but with 4 raid tiers. Compare that to now where my Hunter was doing 50k as a fresh 90 and is now doing 300k in SoO without even being BiS and only in 3 tiers time.

Numbers getting this big is just resulting in exponential scaling until numbers, if not put back in check, will get even more ridiculous. People like Fire Mages and Affliction Warlocks will require tweaks every few weeks if we went another raid tier of ilvls.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy181 View Post
    My characters get weaker as they level up, it's part of the reason I hate leveling. Suddenly I am less "hasteful" less "crity" less "hitty", etc. etc. Leveling sucks.
    now THATS a real problem - opposed to the item squish, which is no problem. the feeling to get weaker with every (~endgame) level up, because with every level secondary stats like haste and crit get weaker and weaker. it's the complete opposite of what the leveling experience should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    Poll options are dumb

A good example of this:

2318008!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I do understand people who have played for a while and saw their char progress from expansion to expanion doing more and more dmg/healing/etc. then for all the to go back down might seem dumb but honestly the item squish would be a very nice change. I really do not care either way what the numbers are as long we get better balance in the process.

I get 2mil+ Storm Bolt Crits on my warrior and it just feels a little too much lol. I would like to feel like we did back in TBC or something like that would be fine and soloing old content wont be an issue bc blizzard already stated that they were going to make it where you still could without a problem. Tone it down some and see if we cant get a little better balancing in some areas of the game and Ill be happy. But your char is not getting weaker, even though i understand the arguement.