Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Or keep adding the occasional content that coincides with future WC games, because, let's be honest, we're talking several years from now. Updates for old stuff is also a big possibility.
    Aye, of course. The only reason I'd be skeptical of that particular route is because it would probably imply progression, where none would really be found.

Naturally, it needn't imply progression at all - could be more "Free-loot Isle" rubbish with largely cosmetic rewards.

I'm not sure people would pay a subscription for that, though.

World of Warcraft is the most succesful MMORPG ever created and even less successful MMORPGs still get Expansions.
    One example: Everquest 1. It was released 2000 and still got an expansion 2012. That was expansion 19 (!). Why? Because they still make money with it. Not much but enough to keep it running. Until WoW is down to less than 100k subs worldwide we will get expansions. Maybe the expansions will be smaller and with less new graphics. But WoW is here to stay for minimum 5 more years.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Maybe the expansions will be smaller and with less new graphics.
    Absolutely. I look for that to happen after the next few years, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Again, new content doesn't have to be in the form of major expansions. There are many games still churning out new content that are F2P that will never see content releases on the scale of wow expansions.
    That may be true but those other games don't have as much of a dedicated playerbase, and the current WoW playerbase is accustomed to new expansions/patches. When that stops they will fail.

What is the new content going to be then ? If its not large scale raid and lore updates, what will it be. And if it isn't raid and lore updates then they will be losing a large chunk of their playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    One example: Everquest 1. It was released 2000 and still got an expansion 2012. That was expansion 19 (!). Why? Because they still make money with it.
    I don't think it's just because they make money - I think it's because the community loves its game, and the studio has a relationship with that community.

That's what I'd like to see with World of Warcraft but, bit by bit, I just see that being eroded.

My opinion, of course, before someone cries that I didn't explicitly state so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    That doesn't necessarily mean making more expansions. For argument's sake, they could just as easily go with the two mentioned in the OP, then come up with some form of scaling tech for every major raid in the game, then just leave the servers on.

F2P, with microtransactions, would still be wildly profitable in the large scheme of things.
    Then what will the new content be? What will the micro transactions buy you?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is confirmed. But my money is on Azshara next, then the Legion after her.

And MMOs never have a last expansion. They keep going full speed until they crash into the ground and die.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    I don't think it's just because they make money - I think it's because the community loves its game, and the studio has a relationship with that community.

That's what I'd like to see with World of Warcraft but, bit by bit, I just see that being eroded.

My opinion, of course, before someone cries that I didn't explicitly state so.
    People need to eat, my friend, they don't do it because they can make people happy or express their artistic freedom. These are american companies ruled by greed.

They do this for money, it is a sad truth, but it is the truth.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2013-10-16 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    People need to eat my friend, they don't do it because they can make people happy or express their artistic freedom. These are american companies ruled by greed.

They do this for money, it is a sad truth, but it is the truth.
    And greed... is good.

Much like competition, it spurs greater innovation. Build a better mouse trap, and the buyers will come. Build an average mouse trap, and someone will build a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    No. 10 annoying chars.

Infracted.
    Why was this infracted? While not elaborating, he is right. Blizzard has already said numerous times they have the next 4-5 expansions planned out making this thread pretty much pointless. Good job mods. As usual this is just yet another thinly veiled "wow is dying" thread and of course the mods leave it open, protects the OP and infracts everyone else.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2013-10-15 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Why was this infracted? He is right. Blizzard has already said numerous times they have the next 4-5 expansions planned out making this thread pretty much pointless. Good job mods. As usual this is just yet another thinly veiled "wow is dying" thread and of course the mods leave it open.
    The infraction was likely due to the fact he tried to circumvent the 10-character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    *sigh* why do people keep assuming they will end WoW just like that. They will keep adding stuff to wow as long as it earns them money. A set time for Blizzard to end it does not exist.
    Besides, it's already been said that they think 3 expansions ahead.
    Because these people can't let this game go and the only way they can walk away is if the game is dead.

"Hey guys, we're STILL the most profitable MMO in the history of mankind, but let's just do two more expansions and shut it down. Nobody needs this kind of money. We can do something else or whatever."

Who believes this stuff?

Listening to people that have no affiliation with Blizzard and have no idea how many expansions are planned confirmed?

Half Life 3 confirmed at Blizzcon. I heard it from some friends and it made sense. OP logic
    Stay salty my friends.

World of Warcraft is the most succesful MMORPG ever created and even less successful MMORPGs still get Expansions.
    One example: Everquest 1. It was released 2000 and still got an expansion 2012. That was expansion 19 (!). Why? Because they still make money with it. Not much but enough to keep it running. Until WoW is down to less than 100k subs worldwide we will get expansions. Maybe the expansions will be smaller and with less new graphics. But WoW is here to stay for minimum 5 more years.
    EverQuest is releasing a new expansion, btw. Number 20!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And greed... is good.

Much like competition, it spurs greater innovation. Build a better mouse trap, and the buyers will come. Build an average mouse trap, and someone will build a better one.
    Greed isn't good, it doesn't spur anything except more greed, I'm going to use Call of Duty as an example. Activision is greedy, they make new call of duty games EVERY year.

Between those games there is little to no innovation, just more cookie cutter shooters.

"Build a better mouse trap, and the buyers will come. Build an average mouse trap, and someone will build a better one." that isn't an argument for greed, that is an argument for innovation, it has nothing to do with greed.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    How did they convince you and why did it make sense?

Makes more sense to me that WoW would go on until it is no longer profitable....
    EQ1 just released its 20th expansion after nearly 15 years and their subscriptions never went above 500k yet people still think the game is simply going to end because it has 7 million players instead of 12 million and what makes this even more idiotic is the fact that Blizzard increased their Wow team by 40% and plan to increase it by another 40% again. If there were only 2 expansions left and the cap ends at 100 (Blizzard has confirmed both to be absolute lies as they plan to have another 4-5 expansions and a lvl cap exceeding 100) then I highly doubt Blizzard would be investing this much in new personnel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I also don't thinnk they will do a 5 level xpac again..... so next xpac will be 90-100, I hope sincerely.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe they had enough.
    Maybe they bought themselves free just now, just to stop producing things :-)
    It doesn't matter who is the majority owner of Activision-Blizzard as its company bylaws prevent Blizzard Entertainment's managerial decisions from being overridden by Activision-Blizzard. The bylaws haven't changed so Blizzard Entertainment is still in full control of their products just as they have been since nearly the start.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    Blizzard has said that as long as people want to play WoW they will support it. So as long as it's profitable they will keep releasing expansions.
    And subscription based mmos are sustainable and profitable even with only 500k subscribers not to mention the fact most mmos are switching over to a mixed payment model rather than being free to play exclusively or subsciption based exclusively which is even ore profitable. Wow could very well be one of the first mmos to outlive some of its players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
    No it's not confirmed.
    It's not as long as Blizzard does not announce anything.
    Even if the next one was announced, they would never risk announcing the next one after that because it would be a commitment for them, and they would lose adaptability.
    So your "in game people" speak when in fact they don't know a thing... Or maybe they mistook a speculation thread for a confirmation ? There are so many of them these days.

Anyway, is it a likely scenario ? Yes I think so. But I would be disappointed by a Sargeras expansion so soon.
    Sargeras is the biggest villain in the Warcraft universe even if we never really saw him in game.
    A Sargeras expansion would be the end of WoW as it is now.

Anyway, don't be convinced by people without any confirmation from a blue post, or a blog, or a tweet from an official blizzard member.
    That is all well and good except for the fact Blizzard actually has confirmed 4-5 expansions are in the works and again if this wasn't the case they wouldn't be hiring so many new developers and artists specifically for Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    EQ1 just released its 20th expansion after nearly 15 years and their subscriptions never went above 500k yet people still think the game is simply going to end because it has 7 million players instead of 12 million and what makes this even more idiotic is the fact that Blizzard increased their Wow team by 40% and plan to increase it by another 40% again. If there were only 2 expansions left and the cap ends at 100 (Blizzard has confirmed both to be absolute lies as they plan to have another 4-5 expansions and a lvl cap exceeding 100) then I highly doubt Blizzard would be investing this much in new personnel.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter who is the majority owner of Activision-Blizzard as its company bylaws prevent Blizzard Entertainment's managerial decisions from being overridden by Activision-Blizzard. The bylaws haven't changed so Blizzard Entertainment is still in full control of their products just as they have been since nearly the start.

- - - Updated - - -

And subscription based mmos are sustainable and profitable even with only 500k subscribers not to mention the fact most mmos are switching over to a mixed payment model rather than being free to play exclusively or subsciption based exclusively which is even ore profitable. Wow could very well be one of the first mmos to outlive some of its players.

- - - Updated - - -

That is all well and good except for the fact Blizzard actually has confirmed 4-5 expansions are in the works and again if this wasn't the case they wouldn't be hiring so many new developers and artists specifically for Wow.
    Yeah, Blizzard has shown to have a very long R and D cycle.

You'll know when World of Warcraft is down to 2 expansions when you hear about people being laid off by blizzard in droves on financial news.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    No it is NOT. Enchants and random stuff back in WotLK suggested lvl 90, look what happened.

Stop saying this, holy christ.
    Did I just imagine that lvl 90 is the lvl cap? Keep in mind that Blizzard typically is working on the next 2 expansions at any given time so after Wrath was out they were already planning Cata and Mop so yes he is 100% right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Yup. Look at how Battlefield/Derp of Duty as a prime example. Blizzard showed they don't mind butchering and alienating fans as well (D3 for that example).
    How is Blizzard alienating anyone by continuing to support one of its most popular games? Are you implying Blizzard is "selling out" by not shutting down the game just because some players are butthurt over changes in the game? As for D3, if they didn't care about the players then they wouldn't have implemented many changes suggested by players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Blizzard needs to drop a solid teaser because some people are going nutty in the silence, jumping at shadows and redefining basic words.
    It doesn't matter what Blizzard says or does, people will twist it however they need to so they can continue proclaiming that Wow is dying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BondGirl View Post
    I like those naive folks. The game, for Blizzard, is about profit. If the game ain't no longer profitable, e.g. a solid monthly player sub, the game will end. Until then Blizzard will milk the cow till it bleeds.
    Providing a product that customers want isn't "milking". Someone mentioned "confirmed" being one of the most misused words but I think "milking" is considering how many people on this site are butthurt that Blizzard hasn't falling to its knees in financial ruin for daring to make certain changes to the game and are still able to make a profit without those players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    i think you missread. and where did you get the assumption that it would be bis for a whole expansion? if its a scaling weapon between 90 and 100 it would obviously be scaled to 95 at 95 and not 100 at 95. so again: how would it be bis?

the way you're thinking is the same as a dragon soul weapon would be better then a 5man hc weapon in mop
    Mop has more than a few lvl 83+ items that are 450/463 so it isn't much of a stretch to assume Blizzard will do the same thing with these new heirloom weapons.