Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    90-100 heirlooms are just placeholder numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    I don't think it's just because they make money - I think it's because the community loves its game, and the studio has a relationship with that community.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but this is not a hobby or fan-project, this is a business and if it does not pay the bills it stops. People need to feed their families working for a gaming company. Passion is needed to create a good game, but passion is nothing without sales.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    You need to respect the difference between "ending the game" and no longer making major expansions. At the current rate of Sub-decline, we can expect the game to go F2P around the same time said expansions are complete. It makes perfect sense.
    That's rubbish, You have zero idea what you're talking about, at the current rate of sub decline the game will still have millions of players after 2 expacs, Just because the last few quarters have been dropping doesn't mean we will have less than a million left after a couple expacs, it means as the expac has gone on, people have left, which you know, happens.

Doomsayers get more clueless every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    90-100 heirlooms are just placeholder numbers.
    Or just needed for 2 reasons.
    Reason 1: Item Squish. They could use Level 100 as the new base for items and it's so distant from level 90 no old level 90 loot even legendary will be useful.
    Reason 2: Talent System. If they want to add 2 new talents they need level 100 since the system is using 5-level steps.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    Hey guys, I was talking in game with some people and they convinced me that 2 expansions to wow are left and they are already known.

First one 90-95 would be about Great Sea and ending with Queen Azshara and last one 95-100 would be us going to Burning Legion's world and destroying Sargeras there.

I thought about it and that really made sense. Are these really the most likely candidates for last 2 expansions?
    So you can't count past 100? I can tell you, what comes next. 101,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109 and finally 110.

I don't wish to derail a thread that's already thoroughly derailed, but I have a real problem with this.

Should Blizzard keep spouting out expansions so long as the game is making money? What's wrong with making the game because you still love it and your players do? Yes, Blizzard is a business, you don't need to tell me. But surely the idea is that games are fun, rather than profitable.

To me, the OP has described what I think would be the most logical route to take. Azshara is potentially the last major lore figure to be dealt with prior to Sargeras, and the two are intrinsically linked. Sure, more lore could be made up (as it was, to good effect, with MoP)... But do players want to keep being fleeced expansion after expansion while they wait on the final reckoning we all know is coming?

Why not go out at the top?

Why milk as much money as humanly possible?

Why continue down this route of "profit first" that started in Cataclysm?

Fun games are always profitable, assuming they were decently marketed. Profitable games are not always fun.

Somewhere, at some point, Blizzard seem to have forgotten this, and their community happily peddles their message on their behalf.

It's actually quite saddening.
    Fun and profit go hand in hand much like keeping players happy while making a profit. Where do you get the idea that Blizzard only supports Wow because of profit? Profit is what keeps this game and other Blizzard games going so it is mind boggling that people get so butthurt over it. The simple fact of the matter is, Blizzard is continuing to support the game because players are stil having fun with it and it honest to god is just that simple. Outside of these forums most people who play Wow do so because they like it not because they hate the game and are so obsessed that they can't let it go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    My biggest guess there will be traveling to the other side of Azeroth. The map we see nowadays is of only 1/3 of Azeroth's surface, we don't know what's on the back.
    that is funny thats like looking at this and saying but we still don't know what's on the other side. and on topic no wow will not end at 100, blizzard has said they already have the next 3 expansions in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I'm not trying to disagree with you, I agree with your sentiment, and I wish it were that way, but the fact is, they will milk it for as long as they can. They will milk it till it stops being profitable.

They make the game for money. America is a greedy nation they will do anything to make money. As an American I feel I can say that.

Blizzard are also now partnered with Activision and Activision is known as one of the greediest game companies in the world, evidenced by Call of Duty.
    It doesn't matter if companies are greedy or not, they just flat out won't make a profit without making a product people actually want. I love how people constantly simultaneously accuse Blizzard of being greedy while also implying they are too inept to actually make a profit. This is just yet another example of a jaded player who is butthurt over the game leaving them behind and that Blizzard has essentially given them all one big "fuck off" while catering to current players and making a profit of it. As far as Activision being greedy goes, they wouldn't continue to make Call of Duty games if players didn't want it. Again keeping customers happy and profit go hand in hand regardless how butthurt you are about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FLstudioApprentice View Post
    I hope they do a lvl squish before players hit 100. If they do then I wont mind 2-4 expansions, if they don't, I'm done after this one.
    You do realize the item squish is being done because of technical issues right? Blizzard doesn't give a fuck about OCD players who get pissy over the size of their numbers. Quite honestly this is an idiotic reason to quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys, I was talking in game with some people and they convinced me that 2 expansions to wow are left and they are already known.

First one 90-95 would be about Great Sea and ending with Queen Azshara and last one 95-100 would be us going to Burning Legion's world and destroying Sargeras there.

I thought about it and that really made sense. Are these really the most likely candidates for last 2 expansions?
    Everquest is on their 20th and they peaked at 500k subs. Wow will go until Blizzard decides it can no longer make money.

I doubt Blizzard would go 95 next expansion, my money is on 100.

You need to respect the difference between "ending the game" and no longer making major expansions. At the current rate of Sub-decline, we can expect the game to go F2P around the same time said expansions are complete. It makes perfect sense.
    No it doesn't make sense. Not even remotely. For one, most games aren't going exclusively free to play and are using a mixed payment model where both subscription and free to play options are supported while also providing content patches and new expansions. Going free to play doesn't mean there will be no new content. Again look at games like EQ1. It has been free to play for a while and SOE is still making expansions for it. I think most people spouting off nonsense about free to play games haven't even logged into one for at least 2-3 years.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jd812 View Post
    that is funny thats like looking at this

and saying but we still don't know what's on the other side. and on topic no wow will not end at 100, blizzard has said they already have the next 3 expansions in the works.
    Wrong time period.

Clearly we're still discovering new continents as shown by Pandaria.

So how about
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    ''The game will continue aslong as we have players'' - Greg Street aka mr. Ghostcrawler

They scrapped what they had for Titan to start over, this gives wow at least another 6-8 years, and if they can rebuild the game engine so more complex systems can be added it will make it that long.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Again, new content doesn't have to be in the form of major expansions. There are many games still churning out new content that are F2P that will never see content releases on the scale of wow expansions.
    Again I really have to question whether you have even played a free to play game recently as you don't seem to know a damn thing about them. Most newer free to play games still have normal expansions such as EQ1, EQ2, Lotro, Rift and many others.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but you were talking to some people that were convinced of something? Blizzard will keep making expansions as long as it's profitable, that's all there is to it really.
    They have around 7,5 million subs now. Even if they had 1 million subs it would probably still be profitable. So I see more than 2 expansions coming as 1 million is a number they won't hit anytime soon.

That doesn't necessarily mean making more expansions. For argument's sake, they could just as easily go with the two mentioned in the OP, then come up with some form of scaling tech for every major raid in the game, then just leave the servers on.

F2P, with microtransactions, would still be wildly profitable in the large scheme of things.
    Again that is all well and good but Blizzard already confirmed there will be at least another 4-5 expansions. There is no need for conjecture here.

Deleted
    Yes lets stop making money... ./end sarcasm, dude you are way to naive if you believe people like that :P If anything its more possible that the next expansion will be a 10 lvl expansion (and not even close to being the last one for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    People need to eat my friend, they don't do it because they can make people happy or express their artistic freedom. These are american companies ruled by greed.

They do this for money, it is a sad truth, but it is the truth.
    Again if it wasn't for the motivation for profit, we wouldn't have any Blizzard games at all. Also it isn't just American companies who exist to make a profit so really just give it a fucking rest. Like I have said before, making customers happy and profit go hand in hand. You don't have one without the other and because of that Blizzard is highly motivated to do whatever they can to keep people happy and playing their games which is good for both gamers and Blizzard's future with existing franchises and new franchises. The only people who seem to have a problem with this are the usual malcontents on these forums who can't comprehend that Wow can continue to be profitable and successful without them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    And greed... is good.

Much like competition, it spurs greater innovation. Build a better mouse trap, and the buyers will come. Build an average mouse trap, and someone will build a better one.
    For some reason every company is allowed to make money except for Blizzard. It is one of many examples of how hypocritical people here can be all for the sake of bashing Blizzard and Wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    The infraction was likely due to the fact he tried to circumvent the 10-character limit.
    And yet the OP received no infraction for not only posting a thread with a misleading title and posting absolute nonsense that is at best misinformed and at worst, blatant trolling. I refuse to believe for a second that someone with nearly 1000 posts hasn't seen any of the blue tweets, blue posts, and developer interviews posted here that have confirmed multiple times that 100 is just a number and they are planning at least another 4-5 expansions. As usual the mods would rather waste time handing out infractions rather than nipping the problem in the bud by closing the thread.

OP isn't saying anything is confirmed or that WoW is ending, he is simply asking.
    You guys need to chill out and think before grabbing those pitchforks.