10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yay, hit 50 and went to try HM Ifrit with my Paladin.

I got put on interrupt duty since my gear is just awful. Truly awful.

Good news is that zero Eruptions went off (even though I mistakenly interrupted a Plume at one point, so I expected him to get interrupt-resistant) and we one-shot it, yay. No sword, though. Boo.

Doesn't seem so bad. I guess I'll go see what's up in WP or AK later.
    If you had a Warrior tank it wasn't gear....Paladins are as one person put it "stun bitches" since warriors have a longer CD.

Apparently the controversial Dark Devices FATE has been fixed:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...rfed_or_bugged

Guess it wasn't working as intended after all.

I've taken a break from the game, but still get exposure from watching my brother go at it. It's kinda depressing how many times he's tanked for Ifrit Hard Mode, either main tanking or being the "stun bitch" as Sorrior put it. Many times saving the group from its own ineptitude. He's run it probably 50 times and only seen the Ifrit Blade drop twice, losing both rolls to people that wiped the group because they missed their stun. He almost broke his desk in half when he lost the 2nd drop because the other paladin was a complete tool. Hopefully today's patch will make things better.

10+ Year Old Account
    In fairness, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Otherwise, everything that had ever been nerfed would be considered an "exploit" beforehand.

Yeah, that's pugging for ya. It's also why I don't mind being the "stun bitch" (not sure why people say it as if it's a bad thing) because it seems the entire fight is kinda built around those interrupts being done properly.
    Well I first heard it being said by a pally....So my guess is that it may have come from tanks mainly paladins who want to MT being forced to stun.

Yeah, that's pugging for ya. It's also why I don't mind being the "stun bitch" (not sure why people say it as if it's a bad thing)
    Because it's too boring and too important.

Exactly why I don't want to leave it up to some puggie.
    That's a failure in design. In a group, mistakes by each member should have individually minor impacts, but adding them together is what causes a wipe. Titan HM is a perfect counterpart to that:
    DPS gets hit by plumes 3 or 4 times throughout the fight, no biggie, but if every single plume gets possibly mroe than 1 person, you're going to wipe.
    Tank can't mitigate a few Mountain Busters spread out from each other, your healers can take it. If he doesn't mitigate a lot of them back to back, he's going to die.
    If Healers make a lot of bad spell choices and end up having to spam to make up for it, they'll pull aggro and there's nothing the tank can do to avoid it.

All that adds up, but in Ifrit it's one missed stun and half the group dead. That's why no one likes stun duty: It's mind numbingly-simple,which diminishes the rewards, and absolutely essential, which increases the pressure.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    All that adds up, but in Ifrit it's one missed stun and half the group dead. That's why no one likes stun duty: It's mind numbingly-simple,which diminishes the rewards, and absolutely essential, which increases the pressure.
    Missing an eruption doesn't equal half the group dead. In the groups I've been in where an eruption is missed, typically only one person is hit and they don't die, usually half or less hp is taken off. Even then the person who got hit by eruption is partially to blame. You shouldn't be standing still at that time, you should be moving out of it just in-case the stunner misses or it gets resisted. Ultimately, imo, I think the reason no one likes stun duty is because it is boring and if you do miss an eruption for whatever reason you get yelled at when you may not be the one to blame.

The only time missing a stun is bad is when there are multiple eruptions and people get hit by 2 of them, then they are probably dead or close to it.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2013-10-16 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Missing an eruption doesn't equal half the group dead. In the groups I've been in where an eruption is missed, typically only one person is hit and they don't die, usually half or less hp is taken off. Even then the person who got hit by eruption is partially to blame. You shouldn't be standing still at that time, you should be moving out of it just in-case the stunner misses or it gets resisted. Ultimately, imo, I think the reason no one likes stun duty is because it is boring and if you do miss an eruption for whatever reason you get yelled at when you may not be the one to blame.

The only time missing a stun is bad is when there are multiple eruptions and people get hit by 2 of them, then they are probably dead or close to it.
    Yeah, "One missed stun = wipe" is a pretty big exaggeration.
    I was referring to the one in the last phase, where everyone stacks due to the Plumes that follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was referring to the one in the last phase, where everyone stacks due to the Plumes that follow.
    It isn't still. Like me and friend do in pugs, we wait for the eruption before hugging his butt.
    Eruption is annoying to avoid but avoidable nonetheless.

15+ Year Old Account
    That would be the only set of eruption that could *potentially* wipe your group. I've seen more group fails because people don't dodge charges over failed eruption stuns.

Hit 50 WAR, going to gear it up a little bit (most likely, going to farm Philosophy tomes and buy Darklight gear before anything else) but I also spent most of today leveling up BLM. It's now ahead of PLD as my 2nd-highest class, at 35. Though PLD isn't far off at 34. Really though, WAR's an OK job until you get to the difficult content. Then its weird/stupid half-tank, half-DPS design starts to be a problem since it's lacking too many tank tools to MT the harder content, and lacks DPS tools to be a real DPS job. But everybody knows at this point that WAR is really stupidly designed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omgarsh View Post
    Then its weird/stupid half-tank, half-DPS design starts to be a problem since it's lacking too many tank tools to MT the harder content, and lacks DPS tools to be a real DPS job. But everybody knows at this point that WAR is really stupidly designed.
    Then you just do not have enough experience with a warrior tank. There are 2 warr tanks in my FC (one also has a better geared PLD) and they both handle all the stuff we throw at them extremely well!!! I'm not trying to call you out, but maybe you're just doing it wrong? Ours, while not the best players, seem to not be having any problems whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    Then you just do not have enough experience with a warrior tank. There are 2 warr tanks in my FC (one also has a better geared PLD) and they both handle all the stuff we throw at them extremely well!!! I'm not trying to call you out, but maybe you're just doing it wrong? Ours, while not the best players, seem to not be having any problems whatsoever.
    This right here...However I WILL say there are 2 things about warriors most don't get.

First we need a healer who knows WTF he's doing....Seriously alot of healers wait too long and if they wait too long too often....Yeah...

2. You gotta be on the ball.

For instance I seem to be doing worse lately...I don't know whether worse groups or overgeared players are getting to me but yeah...

We're a high risk high reward...Are we perfect? No we're not but we are better then most assume.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also anyone know when the Haloween event starts?

Deleted
    Anyone else seeing alot of DC's from people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkeeee View Post
    I had a nasty one last night....Not jusy 9k but 5303 as well...Also alot more lag then usual.

I was in two separate DF groups for AK and every person, except me, DC'd at least once in each group...was really anoying.

I was in a Titan HM group later and died to Landslide because of lag and not being able to see where I ended up after a 2 second pause in gameplay. Was in a PuG so you know I got screamed at pretty terribly for being a "baddie." Not 10 seconds later the tank dies because the healer lagged out and died to bombs....

I switched to a lower level job and started FATE grinding to avoid the drama.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't have any DCs for myself or my parties last night, but I did have some annoying lag issues on Ifrit. Fortunately they never hit during an Eruption cast, but it was scary. =(
    I was basically carried in hydra due to lag. EVERY White Breath hit me....

Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    I haven't had any problems tanking stuff so far up through Praetorium, but everybody I have spoken to on Coil or even Titan HM says WARs just aren't practical for tanking the really hard content, unless they outgear it. And even then, a PLD is just better for everybody to heal or deal with. And it all comes down to what tools they have available, which is... well, high HP, lots of self healing that is unreliable, and not a lot of mitigation. If the cooldowns were split more evenly between WAR/PLD I think that would solve a lot of its problems when you get to Titan HM and Coil.

I haven't had any problems tanking stuff so far up through Praetorium, but everybody I have spoken to on Coil or even Titan HM says WARs just aren't practical for tanking the really hard content, unless they outgear it. And even then, a PLD is just better for everybody to heal or deal with. And it all comes down to what tools they have available, which is... well, high HP, lots of self healing that is unreliable, and not a lot of mitigation. If the cooldowns were split more evenly between WAR/PLD I think that would solve a lot of its problems when you get to Titan HM and Coil.
    There is absolutely nothing unreliable about Inner Beast.

From what I heard, its hard to heal when boss skill hits you for 4k/7k HP. Just too much for healers. SE loves to 'differentiate' classes which unfortunately leads to a class having an edge over another. Just deal with it or switch to PLD yourself, the game allows for multiple classes on a single character anyways.

Here, this is a Warrior tanker from my FC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNSkA...ature=youtu.be

I don't see a single problem that a Paladin could have avoided?