Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    i put my hand on the mouse lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone should make a "How Do I Convince My Boyfriend To Love Shoe-Shopping?" thread to get things into perspective.
    Look! Words!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a girlfriend, all my times goes ito WoW to find one

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Someone should make a "How Do I Convince My Boyfriend To Love Shoe-Shopping?" thread to get things into perspective.
    Ugh, stereotypes.

I had a girlfriend that is the same way, I just explained that it would mean a lot if she just tried it for an hour or so. After playing her Belf Priest for 3 hours without me saying a word, I felt like it was a success. If she cares about you I'm sure you can get her to play even on a trial Recruit a Friend account for 30 minutes or so to see if it would be something that she would be interested in. Just let her take it slow and understand it on her own. Either she will or she won't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never again.. I did it once and she left me for another player. Keep her away !
    \m/(-_-)\m/

I'm alone again and old pine tree
    Asked me, where's your woman?
    I said: Shut up or I make of you another Firewood

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    Ugh, stereotypes.
    Yeah, because as we all know, the majority of girls love wow and hate shoe shopping. Damn those clearly faulty and inaccurate stereotypes that don't get an obvious yet not exactly perfect point (see: example) across.
    Look! Words!

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    Yeah, because as we all know, the majority of girls love wow and hate shoe shopping. Damn those clearly faulty and inaccurate stereotypes that don't get an obvious yet not exactly perfect point (see: example) across.
    I understand your point, but I want to point out, myself, that stereotypes are self-perpetuating, because people who go "against" those stereotypes are ridiculed or seen as oddities. There's a stigma to "breaking out of the box."
    It'd be a hell of a lot better if people stopped throwing sexist stereotypes around and just let people like what they like. Equality, guys. Stop assuming shit about people you don't know based on non-factors.

"What would she have to do to get you to do something you really don't enjoy or think is stupid? Would it work? Probably not."

I tried once but she wasn't willing to pay a monthly sub and for all the expacs.

Probably the best in the long run really since we ended up splitting up since then and it'd be a bit awkward running into her in game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    It'd be a hell of a lot better if people stopped throwing sexist stereotypes around and just let people like what they like. Equality, guys. Stop assuming shit about people you don't know based on non-factors.

"What would she have to do to get you to do something you really don't enjoy or think is stupid? Would it work? Probably not."
    You're being overly sensitive. My example was in no way malicious; your example was purposely vague for the fear of generalizing and stepping on toes. Vague and impersonal isn't helpful. An effective way of getting people to understand things is through examples, relating to what they personally feel or a train of thought they are familiar with. And I never implied there's anything wrong with girls liking or disliking shoes. But the fact is, many do, or would at least prefer it over playing a video game at all. Stereotypes do exist for a reason. We can be all sensitive about it and walk on eggshells about every little detail and not assume anything about anyone, but that's not human and it's a bit crazy to think it'll ever happen. We constantly judge and generalize people, even if not maliciously, and in many ways it protects us and keeps us from doing stupid things.

But I guess this is what we get in the post modern age we live in where women demand equality and respect and deny there are any instinctive differences between male and female - that the two are just exactly the same. And then they expect men to open doors for them. But remember, women aren't different!
    Look! Words!

I'll give an honest answer.

My wife didn't really have an interest in the game years ago. But, I'd be sitting in my chair with my headphones on laughing and talking. She couldn't hear the incoming parts of the conversation. One day, she got fed up with it and asked me to pipe the incoming Vent to the speakers so she could hear what was being said and what I would laugh at. She got used to the names, voices, etc. After a while, she felt as if she knew them. She asked, bought the game, hopped on vent and the rest is history.

But, I still wasn't allowed to go with her on her first raid. SON OF A BITCH!!!!!! Before she went, I was allowed to use M&Ms on the floor to teach her the basics of the fights she was about to face. Great, I'm training bitch...... GRRRRRR

Quote Originally Posted by Angoth View Post
    I'll give an honest answer.

My wife didn't really have an interest in the game years ago. But, I'd be sitting in my chair with my headphones on laughing and talking. She couldn't hear the incoming parts of the conversation. One day, she got fed up with it and asked me to pipe the incoming Vent to the speakers so she could hear what was being said and what I would laugh at. She got used to the names, voices, etc. After a while, she felt as if she knew them. She asked, bought the game, hopped on vent and the rest is history.

But, I still wasn't allowed to go with her on her first raid. SON OF A BITCH!!!!!! Before she went, I was allowed to use M&Ms on the floor to teach her the basics of the fights she was about to face. Great, I'm training bitch...... GRRRRRR
    M&M's on the floor...

Deleted
    Cant really help you, met my ex in wow, so problem was solved then :P id say get her to try any rpg at first (does not have to be wow even)

Deleted
    Huh, well I met my girlfriend at college... on a games development course... but she didn't play wow, just many, many other games so I had a really easy time, I bought her a battle chest and referred her three weeks ago. But yeah, if she isn't into games, like mine is, I think its best to not try to force her into doing and paying for something she won't enjoy. But I understand your want for it, hell I have played this game since the start and always wanted a girl to play the game with.

But if you really, REALLY want her to play, just buy a battle chest, refer her and just ask her to have a quick go. My girlfriend went on a blood elf character on my account first and was insta-hooked, WoW has that quality, if you think she will find the addiction then just try this. It's only a tenner and now has cata in it, so it's pretty cheap.

Withhold sex until she plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Withhold sex until she plays.
    One good thing about playing WoW with your significant other, is that it brings a whole new meaning to the term WoWhead.

Deleted
    I tried once, in a way. We moved in together a week before MoP was launched. She knew I had played this WoW thing but didn't really know what it was. So few days before MoP started playing and when she walked into the room saw me play the game for the first time she seemed quite interested in it, she actually said that one of the dragons that I was flying on was cool and the overall graphics style was very appealing (she loves colors, artistic soul). She liked the idea of being able to move freely in such a big world. Then I showed her that there were actually 3 more continents aand about then she got a bit overwhelmed. Still, she wanted to know more about the game, so I told her basics of how it works and she got even more overwhelmed as all of it seemed too difficult and there was too much of everything for her. Well, she has never been a keen gamer, except she used to play Claw in her early age and Portal 1&2 nowadays. Still, I told her that she would get used to it while leveling so she even created a character but never came round to actually play with it somehow, guess it was due to lack of free time. Then, during the day when MoP was about to be launched she was constantly laughing at me because I was waiting for some pandas to show up.

TL;DR don't try to convince her. Let her create a character she wants and wander around. Don't tell her where the objectives are because you know it by heart - it WILL affect the whole situation negatively. If she doesn't like it, just leave it that way and just appreciate that she doesn't have anything against you enjoying the game

Eomes has some great advice...

Let her enjoy the game like YOU did the first time you played.

Speaking from a female point of view,

When I was younger, despite my boyfriend at the time talking continuously about this really amazing game (EQ), I just kept rolling my eyes and saying, "No thanks..." Eventually, what got me into it was him getting me to sit down and just try it, no strings. He promised me if I didn't like it, he'd stop bugging me about it. He sat behind me while I set up my character and coached me a little, but other than that, he didn't offer input unless I asked for it, and he didn't try to tell me how to play. After about an hour, he left me to my own devices. The next day, I was in the bookstore buying strategy books (this was in 1999, back before stuff like wowhead was commonplace) and the rest was history. I've been enjoying MMOs ever since.

I recently got a friend (female) to play. She's a navy wife, and her husband plays intermittently when he's not deployed. She's been sort of wanting to pick up WoW in order to get closer to him, but at the same time, she thinks it's a little silly, and has been extremely reluctant to commit. I would nudge her from time to time to try it, and that didn't work, but eventually I landed on the right tactic. She kept complaining of boredom, and how she can't stand to sit in her apartment and have time to "think" when her husband is away, so I suggested wow as a way to cut down on the time she has to stew. She finally agreed to give it a go. I used a similar tactic to what had been used on me. I helped her set things up. I gave her a very basic explanation of how to play. And then I let her go do her own thing and didn't offer any input unless she asked for it. This was a few weeks ago, and every few days I get a text, "How do I do this quest?" or "Where is xyz?!"

Given all this, my suggestion is: get her to try it by offering to leave her alone if she just gives it a shot to see if she likes it, give her enough guidance so she's not busting blood vessels in frustration, and otherwise let her do her own thing. Let the game sell itself. If she still doesn't like it, it probably just wasn't meant to be. MMOs are not for everybody.

Deleted
    i didn't. she plays occasional games, but generally she just doesn't play any at all. this is mostly due to a lack of time, but i got her to try the trial once and she didn't hate it, but WoW is something you kinda have to get invested in, and there was no way in hell she could do that