Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    i quit for all of cata almost just because a new class was not introduced lol, I love me some new classes

Started in BC, and quit WoW during Cataclysm. Played up until Firelands hit, then quit the game for good. Haven't been back since.

The why: WoW became to repetitive and stupid. For me personally, Blizzard ruined the game. Wrath of the Lich King had found a sweet spot, IMHO, for the game, and then Blizz pulled a Blizz move and completely changed how everything worked....for the worse unfortunately. Everyone I knew (both in-game and in real life) quit playing WoW during Cataclysm. I literally saw a mass exodus of everyone I knew. Not one of us has returned to the game since then. WoW has become a joke and a shadow of its former self. Blizzard really needs to hurry up and pull the plug, so they can focus more time, money, and effort elsewhere. Although I know they won't do this, because WoW is in full on milk-mode (and it shows) and Blizz loves swimming in pools of cash (greedy bastards).

I've played SWTOR off and on since quitting WoW (although that game is still pretty "meh") and GW2 (although I've taken a break from that game because the entire Anet staff have gone full retard for some reason and don't know what the hell they want to do with the game anymore). Looking forward to Wildstar more than any other MMO (ESO looks good, but way to much of the same ol', same ol' for me). Will probably be spending more time on a console once the Xbox One is released. What I am REALLY looking forward to is Destiny and The Division. Those games look sick. Can't wait for 2014....looks like it's gonna be a good year for games.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2013-10-17 at 09:01 AM.

I have played since the beta of vanilla WoW. I quit in 2010, halfway through the WotLK expansion.

Back then all I knew was that I was annoyed with the game. It did not fulfill me, it did not give me excitement. Of course many would argue a lack of excitement is not a strange thing after 5 years of playing. After quitting I have often asked myself what it is that made me lose interest in the game. I came up with an answer I myself am satisfied with.

In vanilla WoW I was what you could call a casual raider, I was introduced to raiding through onyxia and molten core, and had a ton of fun just progressing through blackwing lair. I think all who played back then would agree with me that I was a casual to mid-tier raider.

My playtime consisted of raiding about three nights a week, with a friendly guild that wanted to progress, in their own time at their own pace. Even though there were two raid tiers released beyond blackwing lair by the end of vanilla, we had fun struggling through blackwing lair. There were even guilds still raiding molten core. Everyone was playing at their own level, and that was fine. I looked in awe at the people in Tier 3 gear, while brandishing my T2 epics, showing them off to the T1 folks, who enjoyed their own progression and were more then well enough equipped to feel powerful when helping out non raiding or newbie friends.

Outside raiding I had what I’d call “free time” to mess around with friends, PvP a bit, help out friends with their low level toons, perhaps level an alt, spend time trying to get that one rare crafting recipe so I could boast about it, and maybe make some gold from crafting it. There were one or two factions I could gain rep with, mostly for novelties, and some raid support things that would improve your worth to your guild by bringing convenience.

In the Burning Crusade I found many game improvements. I liked several of the rep grinds, as they usually resulted in collectable mounts, yummy! Raids were downsized from 40 to 25 people, and from 20 to 10 people, which still felt fine. I was still enjoying the game at my own pace, my Tier 4 gear felt epic, and I had fun nibbling at Tier 5, without feeling pressured for it.

Until the last patch of BC…

A new rep faction was added, I believe it was some sunwell thing? This, if I recall correctly, marked the first rep grind that felt obligated. Heroics now also dropped items that allowed me to fill in gaps in my gear, which gave me a very mixed feeling. I was delighted to finally upgrade my weapon, for I had been extremely unlucky with RNG. It however felt cheap. I got it by running heroics, not by raiding, or crafting something difficult.

Then came Wrath of the LichKing. I loved the lore of this expansion, as a huge WC3 fan. Raids could be done in both 10 and 25 man mode, an idea I was a fan of for it made it far easier to get a guild started. I was also delighted to find Naxxramas had been tuned to be extremely accessible to newbie players, after which the difficulty would ramp up quite quick. The first time I found myself truly disgruntled however, was when I found those heroic dungeon badges could now even buy you tier gear. There was also a far heavier focus on repgrinds. I found myself with less and less time to just explore the world, hang out with a lowlevel friend, and my professions seemed inadequate and not worth the effort.

The killing blow for me, was that when a new raid came out, the gear from the previous one was quickly made obsolete. People obtained it nearly for free. This meant for me that the game had changed from slowly climbing a ladder at a leisurely pace, I now found myself on an actual treadmill, from which I would fall if I did not keep running.

Blizzard labeled these changes to be “casual friendly”. I wholeheartedly disagree with this assessment. I had never felt myself so pushed to play. I had no choice what I wanted to play, or at what level, because everyone was pushed into the last released dungeon.

Much of the charm of the original game, for me, was that things were unobtainable if I didn’t put in extreme effort. Effort most people cannot put into a game. It allowed me to let go of certain things, and set my own goals and ambitions. The game by the end of WotLK felt much like a carrot being kept just out of reach. This also seems to be why they need to churn out content at such a high pace. If the carrot is just out of reach, and you catch it, you need a new carrot.

This is, above all else, why I quit. By now I have filled my time with real life obligations, so I probably wouldn’t return to WoW even if they made the game to fit my desires. I just like to analyze, and hopefully put into words, what many people like myself possibly feel.

TLDR; This text was not meant for you

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Started in BC, and quit WoW during Cataclysm. Played up until Firelands hit, then quit the game for good. Haven't been back since.

The why: WoW became to repetitive and stupid. For me personally, Blizzard ruined the game. Wrath of the Lich King had found a sweet spot, IMHO, for the game, and then Blizz pulled a Blizz move and completely changed how everything worked....for the worse unfortunately. Everyone I knew (both in-game and in real life) quit playing WoW during Cataclysm. I literally saw a mass exodus of everyone I knew. Not one of us has returned to the game since then. WoW has become a joke and a shadow of its former self. Blizzard really needs to hurry up and pull the plug, so they can focus more time, money, and effort elsewhere. Although I know they won't do this, because WoW is in full on milk-mode (and it shows) and Blizz loves swimming in pools of cash (greedy bastards).

I've played SWTOR off and on since quitting WoW (although that game is still pretty "meh") and GW2 (although I've taken a break from that game because the entire Anet staff have gone full retard for some reason and don't know what the hell they want to do with the game anymore). Looking forward to Wildstar more than any other MMO (ESO looks good, but way to much of the same ol', same ol' for me). Will probably be spending more time on a console once the Xbox One is released. What I am REALLY looking forward to is Destiny and The Division. Those games look sick. Can't wait for 2014....looks like it's gonna be a good year for games.
    Totally on board with you when and why you quit. Altho Real Life had a lot to do with my decision aswell.... I found the game so far removed from where it came, I never found the fun factor again. I tried MoP but still could not find it.
    Too bad really. It was a GEM. And too bad other mmo's aren't near as good as WoW even in this state... (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    The servers i play on are. And i am not interested in paying transfer money.

Deleted
    I started in the open beta for vanilla (random fact that some might find interesting, when they were closing and wiping the servers before launch on the last day they planted huge raid boss sized, unkillable demons in all the capitals just for lols as an 'end of the world' type thing, was pretty awesome).

I played hardcore raiding all through vanilla including some EU first kills in Naxx 40 and therefore my guild was invited to closed beta of TBC. I got as far as honor hold when I just felt sick of the game completely, not due to Outland or anything. Just due to the thought of starting the cycle over again of raiding 6 nights a week and spending daytime farming mats for potions etc. Just got to the point where it felt like a job.

I also had one of the best geared characters ingame at the time (because gear was so unbalanced/unfair back then, honestly) and knew that if I wanted to sell my account its value would decrease as BC drew nearer and would plummet after the xpack hit so I sold it asap ( 420€ bitches). I don't know if it's allowed to discuss this on here so my apologies if its not, I assume it is ok as long as you're not looking to sell or buy from this site though.

Back now in MoP, doing LFR, being a casual scrub and enjoying the game very much.

Did it twice because of boredom. Still playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was a hardcore raiding during Vanilla, TBC and WotLK. I quit WoW back in the late days of WotLK during the lengthy stay of ICC. I came back again during Cataclysm and quit not long after the Firelands release, Came back again on MoP release and have settled on a casual player inside my long time hardcore raiding guild, who I love alot
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vandam View Post
    When they anounced the in-game cash shop containing pay-to-win items.
    The XP-elixir for example.

The microtransactions have their place in a free to play game .
    But in a subscription game no way .

Is unfair to ask us to buy the game, buy each expansion , pay monthly fee and on top of this trying to milk us more money . Basically they develop content using our already payed money, and they try to seel it again to us. Well I just voted with my wallet that I didn't agree with this .

The vote with the wallet is always right .
    You do know it's only for the asian market right?

I started in BC and i played till two weeks after Cata, then i quit till the last patch and came back. Quit again two weeks after MoP, and came back at 5.1, played a few more weeks and then quit till now so far.

Started playing mid vanilla,played in guilds with mostly the same ppl to the end of wotlk,then started un subbing at differernt times due to work,other games,quit again in june this year cause i was getting married and also i work shifts so cant raid as i would like,i can honestly say but i dont no anyone who still plays the game that i started playing with for the first 5 years of the game.

I quit a few months after MoP released. I feel the two biggest reasons why I quit was:

1) My raiding guild deteriorated and we were stuck with some sub par players and we were very behind in raid progress, which in turn, caused me to despise raiding and not even getting close to ranking like I did on a weekly basis in Cata (which yes, may sound selfish, but made raiding super fun).
    2) Real life became much more important. I started feeling bad for skipping out on raids because I wanted to hang out with my girlfriend or friends. I didn't need that guilt on my shoulders, I know I was letting others down being the top two dps in the guild not raiding, but I wanted to have some RL fun.
    3) Huge time-sink, with the combination of dailies and raiding, it seemed like a job, and the pros no longer outweighed the cons.

I haven't played since..........and I don't really miss it to be honest. I just play LoL when I have free time and that's good enough for me.

Deleted
    I quit retail and moved back to WOTLK and never looked back.

--SNIP--

Private servers are forbidden here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-10-17 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharein View Post
    The servers i play on are. And i am not interested in paying transfer money.
    Seriously, I want to know what was going through Blizzard's collective head when they decided to add 2 new servers when there are still SO MANY dead servers. My server has maybe 50-60 people on. Both factions. On a really good day. MAYBE.

They really need to push that consolidated server idea through, or start merging servers. Finding a 10-man raid or RBG is nigh impossible at this point. There were literally 8 people on at peak time yesterday.

Quit during Firelands in Cata when my 25 man guild (that was founded in BC when 25 man raiding was introduced and cleared almost everything in the game) broke down along with every other 25 man guild on the realm due to Blizzard's idiotic decision to give equal rewards to 10 mans.

There is no chance I'll come back to the game. Blizzard cannot or does not want to provide the kind of experience I enjoy in the game (true linear progression raiding doable with 3 day schedule). And even if by some miracle they started providing that kind of content again, they still killed my guild and won't be able to bring it back anymore. So screw Blizzard. Oh, and I'm still waiting for the second half of Cata raid content they promised, in writing, and then failed to deliver. They are scammers.

Played from mid-BC to the end of Wrath, before my first break. I loved the game.

A small group of friends and I started a 10-man guild together in Wrath and had a lot of fun doing that. One of the four leaders was my girlfriend. She "cheated" on me with the leader of the top guild on our server, which caused us to break up and for me to take a few-months-long break from the game. She ended up ditching our friends for this new guy, so when we both left, our guild lost its best healer (her) and top DPS (me). Our old guild ended up falling apart, as the other two people we founded the guild with had also quit because of this. Sadly, I missed out on Ulduar when it was still relevant. ):

GF and I made up, transferred off the server to start anew and began raiding ToC with a new guild. That new guild wasn't very fair to their new members and kind of kept to themselves... there was a group of 5 that were all real-life friends and the rest of us were just kind of "there." One night, all the people in my guild rank was mistakenly allowed to view officer chat and it was revealed that they were talking mad trash about us and some of the newer people. I showed the GF and she made a huge spectacle of this, and we quit.

We took a break to try out AION, and that got old fast. I stopped playing that when the girlfriend stopped playing MMOs as much to start college and went back to WoW. I found new guild on yet another new server, and they were awesome people. I started doing ICC with them. The girlfriend started playing WoW with me again and she joined the guild. By the time we got to the first wing of ICC as a guild, my laptop decided it was time to have its motherboard melt and I took my first involuntary break.

Around that time, I made my MMO-C account and started hanging out here all the time while I saved up for a new laptop. About a month later, I came back, and discovered that my girlfriend was all of a sudden super popular with everyone, which was okay... except that I started getting benched on every single raid night. Understandable, I was DPS and I was inactive. The guild leader told me he'd have a place for me when Cata rolled around since he wanted to stop tanking and I re-rolled Prot Warrior and got to 80 during the Cata pre-patch. One day while doing the new heroics with the guild leader, his girlfriend, another officer and my own girlfriend, the guild leader had whispered me on accident, talking trash about me. I talked with him about it and he claimed to have been having a bad day. Whatever.

The guild started to fall apart when the guild leader decided his graduation from college meant he'd stop playing. Understandable. I ended up taking the GF to a new server. One of the officers from our last guild and one of his friends followed us days after. She found a new guild, one that raided for 5 hours a night, 4 days a week. I said fuck that and found one on my own, which was full of great people. Girlfriend bought us Blizzcon tickets that year, only to later reveal to me that she had to sell one of them to pay off her rent since she was short that month, which I thought was okay, I didn't really want to go anyhow. Turns out she didn't sell the ticket, she ended up giving it to the officer from our previous guild, the guy that followed us from the last server, and she went with him for that week. Apparently, she planned to move in with this guy and didn't tell me until she had already done it.

At about that time, she quit this time, I kept playing with my guild, and through that guild I met the most amazing girl, who had also just been cheated on. Her older sister ended up subtly warning me not to do anything with her sister, but I didn't really understand what she meant until it was too late. The girl and I admitted we had feelings for each other, but decided it would be best to remain friends until we knew each other better. Friends became friends with benefits. About a solid 6-7 months of happiness with this new girl and success with this amazing guild full of just awesome fuckin' people, and then things got weird. I told her I wanted to begin actually dating and she seemed happy at first, but over time became distant with me and began hanging out with other guys, then eventually went back to the guy who cheated on her.

At this point, I took my longest break from WoW, which was a little over a year. Believe it or not, the girl isn't why I quit. I quit because:

1. During that 6-7 month span, my guild kept merging with other guilds to become 25-man, but the other half would always quit raiding when they got their tier sets.
    2. Dragon Soul was all the content we would see for another 6+ months.
    3. I moved to another state and had to begin looking for work before anything else.

Summer of 2013, I decided I'd try MoP, despite not liking how the cover of this particular book looked. I had fun with my old friends from Cali, they'd been trying to drag me back into WoW to play with them. Although they were super casual (barely even raided LFR) and I didn't have time to get back into hardcore raiding due to my new job. I played MoP for probably 3 months but began getting discouraged at my main class of several years (Warrior). Finally started to work on getting all the other classes to max level but got exhausted leveling so many characters and blowing through so much gold. I'd love to go back, but even my casual babby friends quit, and making new friends in this game isn't what it used to be. I do miss the PvP though, so I'm really considering playing again.

So that's my novel. Moral of the story - bitches be crazy.
    « DOr shar'adore da shando! » ♥

« Vladka | Ryska | Radka »

2 years ago at the release of 4.3. The game got too easy and too predictable.

Deleted
    I quit about 10 months ago, tried GW2 and just let my WoW sub run out, couldn't be bothered with the subscription anymore, not to mention more and more cash shop items which I think is bullshit in a subscription game, the theme and story of this expansion also didn't do anything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post

Pretty much this...

Quit during Cata after about 2 or 3 months. Not much to do apart from logging onto raid.

Lasted just 2 months for MoP. Only came back to see what it was like. No friends came back this time, dead server, guild transferred to another server. Just got bored and stopped playing.

I quit when i started at college, i just didn't have the time to play, and the whole 15 dollars a month thing gets old after 4 years