Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hookus View Post
    I find him too angry, I like my reviewers to be calm and civilized.
    His name is Angry Joe, if you expected a calm review then you misread lol.

I love him, personally I dont agree with him on all his reviews but that's going to happen with every reviewer. He puts so much hard work and dedication into his videos it's amazing, you can tell he is having so much fun and just loves video games. And his reviews themselves are so thorough and in depth, he picks out every bit of detail on everything, its like dismantling a car and putting it back together again Aliens: Colonial Marines review is the one that's made me laugh like no other.

I must admit it took me a while to get into his reviews, because mainly it was his loudness that warned me off, but over time I warmed to him. I got into him through the TGWTG website before I subbed to his Youtube page. So pretty much I have the Nostalgia Critic to thank :P

He is my favored games reviewer so far. Just for pure entertainment alone.
    Last edited by Orby; 2013-10-19 at 10:18 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    He is getting a lot of flames from people on this thread because of his 10/10 to GW2.

Let me rephrase what he said about his rating system. He has never said that 10/10 means perfect, because there is no such thing as a perfect game.
    10/10 means that the game reviewed its 100% worth its price and then some more.

When he gives 10/10 it means that in his opinion, the game is completely worth the 60$/40$ or whatever is up for.

And many will agree that Guild Wars 2 is worth 60$ of entertainment, specially since it doesnt have a monthly fee and you can come back every few months and do new content completely free.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love his reviews . Seriously, they are hilarious , have you guys seen the GTA V one? ahah priceless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never did care for his Shtick. I dunno, maybe I'm too old for it, I could see why young people would like him though. For most of my web gaming reviews and content I sub to rev3games. It's where Adam Sessler went after G4 shut his shows down. Don't care much for their actual website though, but their video content is really good. Totalbiscuit is decent too.

And anything can be better than IGN. Mind you, I'm pretty new to that site after IGN discontinued 1up.com. That site really seems full of Sony fans (both in the writers side and the site audience). But seeing some of their video content, their staff looks mostly in their mid-20s which is the generation that grew up during Sony's decade of gaming dominance on consoles. I stopped going to Gamespot when EGM stopped endorsing the site years ago and went to 1up. They have the best new releases list though, which is the only thing I go there for.

I prefer Polygon and USGamer (which is a new sister site to eurogamer, and has some of ex-1up staff working for it now, though it's a pretty slow moving site). Kotaku and Gamesradar are decent too. Gamasutra, is really good, as it takes on more of an industry side of things. Back in the 90s, the site used to be for programmers and developers. You even had to register and be in the industry to view it (though I just said I was).

15+ Year Old Account
    His reviews just ask too much of my time. I like my short little 5 minute reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    I prefer Polygon
    Ugh, don't even get me started on them and their pretentious, self important nonsense. Their review policy is about as accurate to its stated goal as a blind man with a crossbow. They give into popular opinion far more than most review sites I've seen, yet still believe they're somehow "better" than everyone else.

Deleted
    All review-sites are pretty terrible. Every site that gives out 5/5 or 10/10 is just the worst! There can NEVER be a perfect Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovahkiin View Post
    All review-sites are pretty terrible. Every site that gives out 5/5 or 10/10 is just the worst! There can NEVER be a perfect Game.
    No game review site ever claims that a 10/10 or 5/5 is a completely perfect game. They have varying descriptions for what's needed to be in the top score.

It would be kind of pointless to use a score range and then remove the top score because it would indicate true "perfection".

You might have a point if any of those sites claimed the game in question to actually be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's been going on since Hollywood started making movies. Continued right into other areas as well.
    Do you have any evidence that this is actually taking place? I mean actual hard evidence and not feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Do you have any evidence that this is actually taking place? I mean actual hard evidence and not feels.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-6162441.html

The amount of cases of this sort is probably disheartening.

As for Joe, I really do like his reviews. For the reasons most have alluded to. His honesty is awesome and yet even when he's slamming a game he can be understanding and show an intelligent perspective. Also, he doesn't just make claims, he provides video evidence, which is often very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamok View Post

I'm talking about paid reviews within gaming, not in general. We all know that paid reviews are a thing, but I've not heard of any confirmed cases of reviewers at notable sites being paid off for a good review, at least none with conclusive proof.

Pressured to review a game well by their seniors or by readers, sure. But not flat out paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamok View Post

The obvious stuff isn't even the bad part, which is where they don't even have access to the material they're reviewing unless the people who own it want them to have access to it (unless they get it after it's released, obviously, but by that point it's hard to get a lot of attention).

Don't have to have a doctorate in psychology to see how this incentivizes people to form more favourable opinions than they would otherwise, if they weren't worried that if they gave too negative a review then they wouldn't get access to the next product. That's not even getting into more complicated stuff like how attending a viewing where they pay for the travel, or include dinner, or whatever else, inspires even more severe biases. Humans are extremely good natural politicians; it's human nature to feel obligated to compensate someone for a percieved favour they've done you.

So we should always assume that essentially all professional reviewers are biased in favour of the product they're reviewing.

Then there's the part where they often have almost no time to properly review the products they're reviewing, which, as others keep saying, is probably in large part responsible for the Rome 2 scores.

To be a little more on-topic, I've really enjoyed some of Joe's videos, the Rome 2 and Colonial Marines ones in particular, but I don't watch most of his content.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I don't consider Internet personas like Angry Joe, Yahtzee etc. reviewers, rather than entertainers.
    Their reviews are extremely pedestrian and very very rarely go deep, they mostly feel like first impression videos.
    Just because they are not mainstream media, doesn't mean that they are more valid.

Quote Originally Posted by inboundpaper View Post
    I enjoy the theatrics he puts into his reviews.
    This is pretty much why I subscribed to his youtube channel. I don't rely on reviews at all for the games I buy (I have a pretty good idea on what I do and don't like), but I find his reviews entertaining to watch.

I do agree I think he was a little too positive for GW2 (I didn't like the game at all, and I found the little dig at WoW at the start to be silly, especially as I know that as a reviewer,no matter how much he claims to love an MMO, he'll have to move on quickly so he can play his next review game)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Watch the odd thing he does. He is pretty funny when ranting about Superman tho.

If you happen to be reading Joe... Batman > Superman yo!

I like his enthusiasm and passion for video games. He really puts in a lot of effort and I can appreciate that, even though I may not always agree with his opinions.

Loved his angry rants at the xbone reveals though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No game review site ever claims that a 10/10 or 5/5 is a completely perfect game. They have varying descriptions for what's needed to be in the top score.

It would be kind of pointless to use a score range and then remove the top score because it would indicate true "perfection".
    Then the system is bullshit. If they give mediocre games 9/10 and good games 10/10 what should best games ever like KotOR, HL2 or WC3 get then? 15/10?

A 100% system is the best, where HL2/KotOR Games get like 94/95% at max.

Then the system is bullshit. If they give mediocre games 9/10 and good games 10/10 what should best games ever like KotOR, HL2 or WC3 get then? 15/10?

You're pretty much saying other systems don't work because of your own preconceived notions about them and nothing to do with the way the people you criticize actually use them.

And I would call a system constructed for the sole purpose that the highest scores are completely unattainable is worthless. What purpose would a 100% serve if no game could ever have it?

Deleted

Or just get rid of scores altogether and everyone will be better off, except publishers who can't stick "9/10" all over their boxes.
    It doesn't even benefit the review sites apparently, according to the review editor of IGN the clickthrough rate from metacritic to their review is very low, just that publishers are more likely to give you a review copy if you use a scoring system.

A lot of people just look at the metacritic score of a game and don't even read or watch any of the reviews, and there's quite a few good games with low metacritic scores.
    Last edited by mmoc40f44cec44; 2013-10-20 at 02:48 PM.