Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So I just talked with a GM who had terrible English skills.

Okay okay before I make this thread, let me say this IS NOT supposed to be a "the gms are shit blizzard is dead", I am simply only asking if anyone else has encountered this lately or ever before.

The GM was helpful and polite and answered my question, but English was obviously not their first language and it was broken beyond belief (some stuff didn't even make any sense and I could barely tell what they were trying to say), and it's surprising that they've been enlisted onto Blizzard with this level (or lack thereof) of English.

This surprises me because I have never, in all my times of dealing with GMs, had a GM that did so much as make a minor typo let alone butcher an entire paragraph of language. I've also never heard of anyone getting a GM like this or seen any screenshots of it, either.

SO BASICALLY, have you ever had something like this happen in the distant past, or had it happen recently? Is Blizzard's GM department being outsourced, or is my case just an isolated 'only happens once in a lifetime' thing?

Edit: to put it a bit into perspective (I won't give the whole conversation), here's their intro paragraph.

Hi there Uldaman baby here is game master NAMEHERE.If you would have please have a second to talk to us about your Ticket you send us about your query wiht the transfer.
    There it is, taken word-for-word and misspelling-for-misspelling.
    Last edited by JimPaladin; 2013-10-21 at 09:40 PM.

I've had GMs that are more formal or less formal, but never had one that was simply bad.

Ive only encountered GMs that seem to not really care.

I once had a GM like this too. Right from the start he warned me that his English is bad but he'll try his best. Interestingly enough, he was the most friendly and funny GM I had so far. He was half-roleplaying a murloc hunter during the whole convo and was really nice and understanding of my issue and helped me in the end. Sure his English was bad but I was quite satisfied with the service overall

I have had GMs reply to me with a serious case of type-o-eritus. A short reply of about 5 sentences with about 10 typos in it. But it was mostly correct (typo's where things like t instead of at and nex instead of next.)

So with my experience I was easily able to read it :P Thought that was messed up, but didn't know some had a lack of english skill. Never heard of it before either.

Perhaps he just had an off day and took a shot of whiskey to early on the day? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Outsourcing shouldn't be the problem (I am sure they do that), because even those agents are required to have a decent level of the English language.
    Are you sure someone wasn't just trolling you?
    Unless they've managed to gain the 'Blizz' logo on their name, talk to me in a separate window and clear my ticket and give me a survey, then it was for sure a real Game Master.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Outsourcing shouldn't be the problem (I am sure they do that), because even those agents are required to have a decent level of the English language.
    Are you sure someone wasn't just trolling you?
    I would seriously hope Blizzard GMs wouldn't troll someone. I guess it could happen, but...

Deleted
    Funny, i thought GM's are hired to help with ingame related issues and not because they happen to have a PhD in the English language.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought they just copied and paste the vast majority of their responses? >.<

Deleted
    Never encountered something like this. I have encountered GM's whom I've had to correct for spelling/grammar errors. This, however, is terrible. You should report the GM to Blizzard, either they make sure he/she only answers tickets in their first language, or they fire him/her.

I found it very easy to read still. Quite honestly, I expected it to be much worse than the title made me to believe.

I've had GMs that talked like people do in text, e.g. "u" instead of "you", but they still used appropriate grammar and such to be understandable.

Deleted
    Never encountered that, every single GM I have ever talked to has had perfect spelling, been really polite and helpful, and if they didn't have the power to solve my problem they at the very least explained why and if there was something else I could do instead.

I can understand people running into GM's on a bad day when they simply aren't in the mood for all the niceties, but to completely fail at the grammar? Now that is surprising... If you were selected to fill in a survey I hope you commented your concern about it so that Blizzard actually gets some kind of notification about it.

Eh, they use form letters for a reason. As an introduction, I find the OP suspect. At the very least, what's to gain here ? You said you got a survey from the ticket, there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegislash View Post
    Funny, i thought GM's are hired to help with ingame related issues and not because they happen to have a PhD in the English language.
    Thank you for your incredibly intelligent and helpful post that addresses my issue.

(Can you spot the sarcasm??)

Eh, they use form letters for a reason. As an introduction, I find the OP suspect. At the very least, what's to gain here ? You said you got a survey from the ticket, there ya go.
    I made this thread asking if anyone else had either recently or in the past encountered this. The obvious reason being because I wanted to see if the quality of the GMs (which in my experiences has always been top-notch) has declined at all; something you can easily take from simply reading the opening post. Next time, why don't you try doing that?

Maybe he was......"on something". Believe it or not - it happens

I once had a customer service rep from United Airlines who could not stop laughing, and slurred her speech a few times. I am pretty sure she was wasted. Got the job done tho, and it was pretty funny. /shrug

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    had a gm basically say to me "sloots gonna sloot" one time to me, i died laughing. wish i could meet the guy

10+ Year Old Account
    I talk to alot of GM'ers and all of them have used the same message when they approach me, except their own user name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Thank you for your incredibly intelligent and helpful post that addresses my issue.

(Can you spot the sarcasm??)
    The GM was helpful and polite and answered my question
    I'm sorry, what was your problem again?
    He helped you with your ingame issue didn't he? Am i missing something here. Is a ''minor'' detail much more important then the actual good service he gave you? Did his apparent lack of the English language hinder his ability to do what he was hired to do?
    But no, for some reason Metzen knows why, you felt your grammatical honour sullied so you had to make a bloody mountain out of a molehill. It's one sentence, ONE sentence you give us that ''shows'' said GM's supposedly ''bad understanding/butchering of the English language''
    Maybe he was in a hurry, maybe there was another factor, in any case, you calling that GM out because of that single sentence is unjustified and uncalled for.

Why don't you show us more, or even better: A screenshot ( with blurred/sketched away names ) and show us some solid evidence, clearly this GM has insulted you so greatly you probably collected more evidence to make your case stronger, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Aegislash View Post
    I'm sorry, what was your problem again?
    He helped you with your ingame issue didn't he? Am i missing something here. Is a ''minor'' detail much more important then the actual good service he gave you? Did his apparent lack of the English language hinder his ability to do what he was hired to do?
    But no, for some reason Metzen knows why, you felt your grammatical honour sullied so you had to make a bloody mountain out of a molehill. It's one sentence, ONE sentence you give us that ''shows'' said GM's supposedly ''bad understanding/butchering of the English language''
    Maybe he was in a hurry, maybe there was another factor, in any case, you calling that GM out because of that single sentence is unjustified and uncalled for.
    Please stop posting in my thread.