Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    By todays standards, it's no more of a high-level language than C is.

C++ is largely a superset of C(i.e. most of C is part of C++). Besides, your argument was that C AND C++ are high-level languages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Imagine 1000m is the amount of damage you inflict or the amount of health a raid boss has, the item squish simply displays the decimal points by making it 1KM. The value is still the same but the DISPLAY would be different.
    No, I think you're explaining the MegaDamage option backwards, where 1.000.000 dmg (or 1000K) is simply 1M. And I actually prefer this over the item squish, as it doesn't destroy soloing old content.
    Last edited by mmoceb1605b3cd; 2013-10-23 at 11:20 AM.

Since it has a high level of abstractions it is a high level language. From "The C++ Programming Language":

"C++ programming is based on strong static type checking, and most techniques aim at achieving a high level of abstraction".

High level means you don't have to deal with those annoying things that assembly has to do. You don't have to deal with registers, stack, memory address and stuffs like that because the high level language abstracts it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    No, I think you're explaining the MegaDamage option backwards, where 1.000.000 dmg (or 1000K) is simply 1M. And I actually prefer this over the item squish, as it doesn't destroy soloing old content.
    Problem is that it doesn't do anything for the technical side of things. If it was just about people having trouble grasping the numbers, i'd prefer mega-damage as well, but since there's some actual technical issues here, it's not that easy.

The squish should not happen... Way too much tuning for everything in the game would have to be done, they can just give you options to display numbers in diffrent ways.

Instead of showing 100.000 they could just give u an option to show 100k, or even 100. Heck, they can even change the colors of 1-100k.1m-10m and what not aswell. Doesn't make a diff >_>

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vethon View Post
    You can use the asm keyword to write assembly within c/c++
    Yes, you can write code in another language inside C/C++ source using this. This doesn't change the fact that C++ is a high level language. Hell, you can even do this in C#, and also in Delphi/Pascal, well, in almost any high level language in fact.

A bit more on topic : I don't think this reason is the main one for the squish. There are many different ways to handle this, even without changing anything to 64b. Real problem is the growth, in a few expansions we'd be adding a 0 to our DPS/Health with every new tier if we stay with this system. Mega-damage thing could make sense, but not if it has to be replaced with giga-damage, tera-damage, etc. in a few tiers, which is exactly how it is with current system.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkleslob View Post
    Instead of showing 100.000 they could just give u an option to show 100k, or even 100. Heck, they can even change the colors of 1-100k.1m-10m and what not aswell. Doesn't make a diff >_>
    It has nothing to do with how the numbers look on the screen, there are plenty of mods that can already do this. It's about how the numbers look to the systems (in combat calculations, network packets, etc).
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    It has nothing to do with how the numbers look on the screen, there are plenty of mods that can already do this. It's about how the numbers look to the systems (in combat calculations, network packets, etc).
    Yup, MBST does this already. It's about the system and not visual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    and meanwhile squish won't effect soloing old content since it downscale bosses as well...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    and meanwhile squish won't effect soloing old content since it downscale bosses as well...
    Well, it should affect it. If it doesn't this means it didn't achieve what the squish is meant to fix.

If the squish was a simple division by a fixed number, it wouldn't affect anything (and wouldn't fix anything either). What's important to fix is the growth between expansions and tiers. If this gets fixed, difference in gear between expansions/tiers will be lower than it is now, meaning it should be harder to solo old content, since your stuff would be (relatively) weaker than it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    25 Heroic Garrosh health if you were to merge hom much hp you have to take him down is higher than the capacity for the 32-bit interger. I am pretty sure it is 2.1 Billion. They do not have the space to continue to let the numbers get bigger and putting 1M instead of 1,000,000 is not going to do anything. They are going to reduce our overall stats and not just change how we see the damge.

Just read this Blue Post about it:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment :

Question: mmo-champion says item squish soon confirmed. Please do not regress my character. I worked hard to get him to where he is.
    Blizz Response: I didn't confirm it. Still we think there are a lot of good reasons to get numbers down to more parsable levels.

Question: 100m, 100k, and 100 are all equally 'parsable'. It's all about formatting.
    Blizz Response: We describe automobile speed in miles / kilometers per hour and not inches / cms, because big numbers are awkard.

Question: Exactly. We use KILOmeters per hour. What's the problem with using KILOdamage per second
    Blizz Response: That's the mega damage solution, and we're just worried it will look a little silly. You crit for 200 MEGADAMAGE!

Question: I now have to find 24 other people to do BT/DS/BWL/ICC and follow mechanics just for pets and mog gear? no ty!
    Blizz Response: I have said several times that item squish would not affect the ability to solo old content. That's not the intent.

Question: But can you nerf every player without in anyway effecting soloing low level content? Keep everything the same but the numbers?
    Blizz Response: "If player enters old instance, then buff all their stats."
    Last edited by Snuglz; 2013-10-23 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Real problem is the growth, in a few expansions we'd be adding a 0 to our DPS/Health with every new tier if we stay with this system. Mega-damage thing could make sense, but not if it has to be replaced with giga-damage, tera-damage, etc. in a few tiers, which is exactly how it is with current system.
    Problem is that developers don't listen to current feedback, they completely ignore it. When GC was asked, why there is such mega-colossal ilvl difference between tiers in MoP, he said - "that is so upgrades would feel meaningful". Why not make t17 award ilvl 800 gear and t18 award ilvl 1000 gear then?

They need to tone down super-mega-gigantic difference between tiers in future and go back to 13, max. 19 ilvls jumps between tiers. If they can't do that - replace people who can't do that, and who instead make t15 become worse than grays in comparison to t16 and then say "we didn't expect numbers to grow so high, we need item squish", in other words - "we don't know basics of math, we don't know basics of programming too". And that's after their acknowledged mistake in WotLK with a bit too much ilvl inflation, which pales in comparison to what is now.

So as I said before, "item squish" is result of incompetence of whoever designed super gigantic ilvl jumps between tiers, and whole "item squish" itself is crazy idea, which will do nothing but piss off a lot of people.