Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Void Storage is fail

I was just reading a new blue post about how Repairs are an important and "helpful" gold sink, as well as other things like Void Storage. I'm here to laugh about how that could not be more wrong.

Now hear me out before flaming, because I actually love the idea of Void Storage, I just hate how they've implemented it. Yes, it was nice to give players more storage, and yes, it was smart to make it a tiny bit costly as a gold sink, but think about this: Of all the players reading this who have their Void Storage 100% filled, since they implemented Transmogging from your storage, HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU WITHDRAWN AN ITEM OR DEPOSITED ONE INTO IT? I'm willing to bet a good 95% of you would say "not once".

And therein lies the problem. This feature that was meant for more storage only comes with 80 slots, and once you fill them, you can mog anything you want from there. There's no more gold sink past the initial cost and the deposit fee x80 because there's no more space and ZERO reason to withdraw from it now!

While GC said it wasn't meant to be endless, I don't see why this would be such a bad thing. People want to keep their cool-looking gear, or even their ugly ones, for transmog, nostalgia/memories, because you can't get it ever again, or because it has a special meaning. But for some unknown reason, it caps out at 80 slots, then it NEVER TOUCHED AGAIN because you can transmog directly from it, so what's the point of it in the first place if we just had 80 additional slots in our bank, except for a small initial fee/80 tiny deposit fees?

So I'd like to propose that the service should have a good 4 or 5 pages on it (giving you 320-400 slots). That makes it not infinite while seeming infinite in addition to providing more gold sink. We shouldn't have to vendor our gear if we don't want to just because of space issues.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I'd love more void storage. I'm a moogle freak and my Vs is full and my bank is full of moogle gear.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

I'm all with you on that, filled my void storage the day it was implemented, any new transmog gear since then I have to either delete or somehow fit into my already full personal bank, so most of the time I am not really able to pursue new sets.

I'd be quite happy for them to up the gold cost a little more and add a few more pages to it, would mean I could actually keep proff mats in my bank again.

They also mentioned recently they are thinking about giving us a toy tab to store all those on use fun items, this would also relieve my personal bank of space issues.

When a game has lasted as long as WoW has, it's inevitable people are going to run into storage issues when storage itself is lacking. I only hope they do this soon, I have roughly 10 free slots on my backpack free at all times, and they fill up fast when out grinding/timeless isle, constantly having to vendor every few mobs is not fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    While GC said it wasn't meant to be endless, I don't see why this would be such a bad thing. People want to keep their cool-looking gear, or even their ugly ones, for transmog, nostalgia/memories, because you can't get it ever again, or because it has a special meaning. But for some unknown reason, it caps out at 80 slots, then it NEVER TOUCHED AGAIN because you can transmog directly from it, so what's the point of it in the first place if we just had 80 additional slots in our bank, except for a small initial fee/80 tiny deposit fees?
    Somewhere along the line you need to stop. The same goes with being a packrat-- somewhere down the line you're going to look and wonder why you're keeping some of this stuff.

I'm still belly laughing about the OP on the official forums who complained that repair bills were excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Somewhere along the line you need to stop. The same goes with being a packrat-- somewhere down the line you're going to look and wonder why you're keeping some of this stuff.
    Memories? Liking to change gear sets every day or so? Variety? Fun? Lots of reasons, and Blizz encourages us to have all this stuff, they put in a million and one fun items that takes up a slot, they offer us up all these fun trinkets and pretty tabards, they even built a whole system around going out and farming sets of armor and weps, called Transmog, it was inevitable bag space was going to become a serious issue eventually. Not to mention all the consumables/proff mats/quest items/currency/proff equipment that takes up slots.

I cant afford void storage

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now that you don't have to pull items back out to transmog, I absolutely love it in terms of storing transmog sets.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Now that you don't have to pull items back out to transmog, I absolutely love it in terms of storing transmog sets.
    Yup that feature is pretty sweet, makes things alot easier. Now all we need is some more tabs to store even more stuff!

The thing is, what you just described doesn't help solve the problem you mentioned if I understood you correctly because now it will cap at 300 instead of 80. Then after you fill it with 300 different items it's yet again never going to be touched again.
    However I think the 80 slots is working better as a money sink because people have to think a bit more consequential about what they put in there, what they remove to be able to add something new and so on. With 300 slots you have way too much room to ever have to think consequential, you could probably have every tier set and recolor of a tier set in the game for your class and still have plenty of room for off-sets and weapons so that you'd never have to stop and think "Can I actually get this? Do I have enough room in the void storage for it? Is there something in there that I want less than this so I can make room for it?"

This is my reasoning in why the Void Storage works fine the way it is at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    While I do wonder that sometimes, MANY items I have (even TRINKETS) that I can't get rid of have some sentimental value to me, or it's something I can never get again even though it's worthless (such as the Heroic Algalon key or the Scepter of the Sands).

I don't see why I should be forced to throw items away, especially when I don't have immediate access to them because they're in the bank/VS.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquize View Post
    The thing is, what you just described doesn't help solve the problem you mentioned if I understood you correctly because now it will cap at 300 instead of 80. Then after you fill it with 300 different items it's yet again never going to be touched again.
    I know, but what else can you do with VS? The only other thing would be to allow any item to go in, even stackables and unique items.

However I think the 80 slots is working better as a money sink because people have to think a bit more consequential about what they put in there, what they remove to be able to add something new and so on.
    There's little to no thought; you put in things you know you will never equip for stats and that's it, because it removes all gems, modifications, tinkers, and enchants.

With 300 slots you have way too much room to ever have to think consequential
    It was never consequential in the first place outside of the cost. I don't give a fuck if my Level 60 armor piece no longer has +10 stamina on it and I highly doubt any player 61+ would either >_>;

you could probably have every tier set and recolor of a tier set in the game for your class and still have plenty of room for off-sets and weapons
    Isn't that the point of Transmog in the first place? I also have TWENTY slots currently being used on shirts and tabards I will probably never use, EVER, but because I can NEVER GET THEM AGAIN IN MY LIFE, I have to hold onto them. It's not fair.

so that you'd never have to stop and think "Can I actually get this? Do I have enough room in the void storage for it? Is there something in there that I want less than this so I can make room for it?"
    See my reply above as to why I feel that's a moot point.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    I'm all with you on that, filled my void storage the day it was implemented, any new transmog gear since then I have to either delete or somehow fit into my already full personal bank, so most of the time I am not really able to pursue new sets.

I'd be quite happy for them to up the gold cost a little more and add a few more pages to it, would mean I could actually keep proff mats in my bank again.

They also mentioned recently they are thinking about giving us a toy tab to store all those on use fun items, this would also relieve my personal bank of space issues.

When a game has lasted as long as WoW has, it's inevitable people are going to run into storage issues when storage itself is lacking. I only hope they do this soon, I have roughly 10 free slots on my backpack free at all times, and they fill up fast when out grinding/timeless isle, constantly having to vendor every few mobs is not fun!
    I have 0 free bag slots, the reason I stopped soloing and one of the reasons I don't raid anymore Agree with you that Blizzard kinda brought it upon themselves. First they implement a lot of collectibles and reasons to hold on to things, then they tell us we shouldn't collect it all, only to create an achievement to collect all of it and more.

I have spent close to 10k on the VS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Filled Void Storage on two characters, would kill for more spots.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Agree with you that Blizzard kinda brought it upon themselves. First they implement a lot of collectibles and reasons to hold on to things, then they tell us we shouldn't collect it all, only to create an achievement to collect all of it and more.
    And that's part of what makes me feel downright sick to my stomach. It's really twisted to be like "HEY COLLECT ALL THESE ITEMS FOR AN ACHIEVEMENT! OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T CUZ NO SPACE LOLOLOL". It's messed up.

Not to mention all the one-time collectibles... *shudders* Still holding onto my stupid Brawler's Guild shirts even though I'll only use the one for getting all of them, simply because there isn't a vendor to buy them from ever again.

For every item a character is holding in their bank, equipment, inventory, void storage, guild bank, mailbox, whatever, there's a database out there that has to remember the item id, any transogs on the item, what slot that items sitting at, what gems/enchants it has, any item upgrades it has, etc. I don't think the limitation of the amount of item slots players have is the result of them being cruel or mean or anything like that, but because there's millions, if not billions, of WoW characters out there, with trillions of items to keep track of around the world, creating a limitless void storage MAY (not definitely yes, not definitely not, but MAY) end up being a stress on that database.

On top of that, they simply don't want players to horde too many items. After a super duper massive collection of stuff, finding things becomes a problem. Players don't know where their BoA items anymore, even with the search inventory feature, because hey, that item is on one of their other character, on the Nth bank tab, but they can't find it for some reason because it's camouflaged in a huge sea of items.

There is an answer to it. It's not "unlimited inventory/void storage/bank slots". They have talked about making something like a Toy Chest, a storage simply for those non-equipment, fun, purely cosmetic, no-purpose for combat items that players love to keep. They are most likely going to turn BoA items to an account-wide item, similar to the way pets and mounts work, and then probably do something with tabards to remove that equipment slot, and/or to get them out of our inventory maybe. I imagine that they may want quest items to be removed from the immediate inventory also, maybe their own sub-inventory section.

That's 4 item categories down. After that, if you have so many transmog pieces that you don't know what to do with them, I recommend maybe re-evaluating what your favorite pieces are, what pieces you actually use, and scrapping the rest. That's at least my opinion.

Sigh, Brawlers Shirts. I'll never use something else than my Precious' Ribbon I got back in 3.3

I really hoped more storage space was one of the 5.4 features.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an avid gear collector, I can tell you that my void storage was completely full after the first week it was out. Not to mention I now have a bank with all 26 slot bags which are also full of gear leaving me more often than not approximately 5 slots in my own personal bags because I have Ret Gear, Holy Gear, Ret Pvp Gear, Prot Gear and Holy Pvp Gear. You can see that it adds up quickly. I do agree with GC that storage should not be endless. My temporary solution was to get rid of the Pvp gear but even then that's only a short term saving grace as I continue to pick up more transmog pieces.

I filled my void storage up promptly. I used to store infrequent transmogs in there, and I would exchange them with another whole transmog set at once, when I wanted to use it. When we could finally use the goddamned thing correctly, I just put all my transmogs in there that I know I want to keep. I occasionally scan through to throw away items, and it is always awful to do so. Which moment do I want to throw away for real because of some storage space analogy?

Void Storage seems to be working great for me. I wish I could quintuple it, double it, whatever. But just on my main, of course. I find it awful and unfair that people with five characters they give a fuck about and do things on get to keep it, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NMX- View Post
    For every item a character is holding in their bank, equipment, inventory, void storage, guild bank, mailbox, whatever, there's a database out there that has to remember the item id, any transogs on the item, what slot that items sitting at, what gems/enchants it has, any item upgrades it has, etc. I don't think the limitation of the amount of item slots players have is the result of them being cruel or mean or anything like that, but because there's millions, if not billions, of WoW characters out there, with trillions of items to keep track of around the world, creating a limitless void storage MAY (not definitely yes, not definitely not, but MAY) end up being a stress on that database.
    Well that's why I said to cap it at about 3-4 hundred or so. Also, Void Storage eats up all gems, enchants, and modifications, so that part of the database would be wiped. All items put in become "vanilla": how they were originally.

On top of that, they simply don't want players to horde too many items.
    Their achievements to collect things say otherwise.

After a super duper massive collection of stuff, finding things becomes a problem. Players don't know where their BoA items anymore, even with the search inventory feature, because hey, that item is on one of their other character, on the Nth bank tab, but they can't find it for some reason because it's camouflaged in a huge sea of items.
    I actually have zero issues, but then again I use Bagnon and I simply search for "BoA" and it looks for all Bind on Account items, or "Sword" and it posts all swords. You just need to know the right keywords such as "Chest" instead of "Armor/Robe/Tunic" or "Finger" instead of "Ring".

There is an answer to it. It's not "unlimited inventory/void storage/bank slots". They have talked about making something like a Toy Chest, a storage simply for those non-equipment, fun, purely cosmetic, no-purpose for combat items that players love to keep. They are most likely going to turn BoA items to an account-wide item, similar to the way pets and mounts work, and then probably do something with tabards to remove that equipment slot, and/or to get them out of our inventory maybe. I imagine that they may want quest items to be removed from the immediate inventory also, maybe their own sub-inventory section.
    This would be awesome if it allows us to put in Tabards, Shirts (like from Brawler's guild... >_>), Items that have ZERO use but cannot be gotten again (such as Heroic Algalon keys... too many memories...), etc.

That's 4 item categories down. After that, if you have so many transmog pieces that you don't know what to do with them, I recommend maybe re-evaluating what your favorite pieces are, what pieces you actually use, and scrapping the rest. That's at least my opinion.
    I've tried that a good 7 or 8 times, and I simply can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I wanted to come in this thread to agree with you.
    But I didn't know that you could transmog out of Void Storage.
    *BRB removing 30 slots from my bags!*

Edit:
    PS. Aren't the biggest bags around 28 slots now?
    If your bags, the bank + Void Storage is still not enough than you have bigger problems to worry about.
    HAHA! Enjoy that 30 slots

Meh. Too much transmog and collectibles :\

I don't really collect crazy amount of stuff... but trying to hold onto your tier sets such as t1 - current... has just overfilled my void storage. My bank is filled with pvp gear and offspec gear. Unless your a non-hybrid, half your bank usually goes to your other current gear sets whether you want to or not.

I think a nice way to solve this is creating a gear locker that works like your item sets where it auto equips item set 1 2 3 when you click to swap a whole gear set. However, the gear is like pets and mounts where they don't actually take up space but fill up a space of their own. If something like this actually comes out, I'll actually have room to put more vanity items and such that I like to keep or sometimes are only available once aka haunted memento and similar items.